BBQ Shrimp?

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Can someone please school me on bbqing shrimp? I'm new at bbq in general. I just want to know if anyone knows any badass shrimp recipes, and tips on bbqing shrimp.

tistan

Established Member
Go to Ruth's Chris and get their bbq shrimp appetizer. That is the most amazing food ever, but that is all the advise I can give about bbq shrimp.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Most people overcook shrimp. They are easy to overcook. Are you talking about BBQing them or just putting them on the grill?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was thinking more of putting them on the grill.
Thank god! I was gonna have to hunt you down and hurt you. grilled shrimp are awesome, BBQ sauce of any kind on shrimp is a travesty IMHO. For shrimp I am kind of a plain jane kinda guy. skewer them turn once. how long will depend on how hot the grill is. I am far from an expert. I grill them till I think they are done and take them off lol

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Thank god! I was gonna have to hunt you down and hurt you. grilled shrimp are awesome, BBQ sauce of any kind on shrimp is a travesty IMHO. For shrimp I am kind of a plain jane kinda guy. skewer them turn once. how long will depend on how hot the grill is. I am far from an expert. I grill them till I think they are done and take them off lol

LOL at the first part of your post. Alright, sounds like something easy to do. Do you ever marinate them in something, or do you put the shrimp on the grill with nothing on it?

stangaholic280

Established Member
Be sure to use a skewer of some sort...or else they are a nightmare to cook lol. I typically baste both sides with my favorite BBQ sauce then throw a little bit of McCormicks grilling seasoning on there...whatever flavor sounds good to you. They have always turned out awesome for me. Just cook them long enough to get a nice red color with some grill marks on them. Enjoy!!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
LOL at the first part of your post. Alright, sounds like something easy to do. Do you ever marinate them in something, or do you put the shrimp on the grill with nothing on it?
All I do is a little butter and lemon. I suppose you could marinate them in that as long as you didn't let them sit too long. I hate it when stuff is marinated to the point where you lose the taste of the meat or fish and all you get is the marinade taste.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Wooden kabob sticks is a must.
Protip: marinade the wooden sticks in your bbq sauce, this will keep the inside of the shrimp from drying out.
Cook at low-medium heat, turn them after 2 min. They should be slightly pink when done. Enjoy.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Don't forget to wrap the shrimp with bacon...then a little BBQ sauce (I prefer Sweet Baby Rays) on a wooden skewer. Grill slowly. Enjoy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wooden kabob sticks is a must.
Protip: marinade the wooden sticks in your bbq sauce, this will keep the inside of the shrimp from drying out.
Cook at low-medium heat, turn them after 2 min. They should be slightly pink when done. Enjoy.

That is great advice! You must be a seasoned shrimp griller. ;-)

My best advice is to try a few recipes until you find the one that works the best for your taste buds. Google will help. Also, try allrecipes.com. Great website. Here is a link to their Grilled Shrimp recipes. Allrecipes - Recipe Search

Happy grilling! :thumbsup:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Extremely simple. Skewer is the best way to go since you can flip them all at once. I just brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with some seasoning salt. Old Bay is an awesome seasoning for shrimp.

As far as cooking them goes when you press down on them they should feel about the same as if you were press on your palm just below where your thumb attaches. If you have fat hands then this may not help but you want them to be opaque in the center and not clear. Either way it will take practice to get it right and obtain best results. Since this is your first time I would just cut one of them open during cooking to make sure the flesh is not clear.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
man let me see if I can get the recipe out of this girl im friends with for bbq shrimp. This chick can flat out cook the hell out of them. If I can get it ill post it up for people to try

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I was thinking more of putting them on the grill.

Agreed. Never put bbq sauce or a dry rub on quality shrimp.

If you skewer them, make sure you use wooden skewers that have been completely soaked in water first so they dont burn.

They make flat holders to shrimp that can be used to grill them. But I prefer skewers.

I get my grill hot on one side. Make sure it is cleaned well. Then spray it with a little oil or special cooking grill spray. Skewer your shrimp but keep them a little separated. Sprinkle them with fresh cracked sea salt, a little white pepper, and put them on the grill. About two minutes per side. After you flip them to second side hit them with a little fresh lime. Grill another two minutes or until pink and tender.

The reason to separate the shrimp is the water content is high and if they are close together the heat and proximity steams the shrimp rather than grilling them and they get overdone.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Just did some super jumbos on the barbee today. I double-skewered them with thin metal skewers...5-up. Tried it this way as the larger shrimp spin when I picked up the skewers making flipping over a pain. Worked great. I always use a very light seasoning...or none...on shrimp, scallops, crabs, lobster. This time I used a light coat of butter infused with garlic and salt. NEVER over cook...JUST COOKED (just opaque inside) is The Way to Go...but slightly undercooked is way better than... RUBBER.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread