Bearing/Ring Options

jonb347

Established Member
Hey guys. Im building my first modular shortblock and need some opinions. Not new to working on them, Im a tech actually. And done lots of windsors. But first from scratch modular build. I am using a teksid block, a 4340 forged crank, and terminator rods with cp/modmax 17cc dished pistons.

My questions are....

1. how are sealed power rings? im looking at E916k. Would ya'll put heavy boost to these? I'm not sure exactly yet but probably 700 rwhp ish.

2. for main bearings, King MB5280HP or step down to the sealed power 7289MA?

3. for rod bearings, im looking at clevite cb1442h

oldmodman

Established Member
The main bearings that you mentioned are the ones I would go with too.
Why not stick with them for the rods?
For rings in a high boost engine (over 15psi) stick with tool steel top ring-chromed from Total Seal
Napier second ring.
Low tension oil ring.
If you have a choice go with tool steel pins with 220 wall thickness. Super finished if available.
With a combination like that you don't have to worry even if go over 1000hp with twins.

If you are going with a "big blower" you might want to head off any future problems by tossing the balancer bolt and go with an ARP stud. You would have to get the crank drilled for it, and tapped too. It would be drilled all the way down to the first oil cross passage in the crank.

Here is a great discussion of the bigger, longer stud process that can save the snout from breaking off with a huge blower and no factory front cage to support the weak end of the crank.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads...tud-mod?highlight=ARP+stud+drilled+crankshaft

Users who are viewing this thread