BELT IS SLIPPING .. WHAT WILL FIX IT??

03BLKCOBRA

Established Member
OK. i got the 2.80 with the right belt lenth from Terry at SFPHQ..
but i can see black dust all behind my pulley guard. With this set up i am hiting around 13 PSI.

So
does a smaller belt work or the bigger tensoner pulleys work..

If you know what will truly fix the prolbem let me know

thanks

lguerra1

Established Member
This was an idea from Nitrous Pete. He deserves the credit for it. I basically went to a Ford dealership and bought an idler pulley, then went to Lowes and bought somes spacers, washers and a bolt. Drilled and tapped for the bolt, and was finished. I didn't even have to buy a new belt. The stock belt with the additional pulley is right in line. Total cost less than $25. And now I have tremendous belt wrap and zero slip. The Lightning guys do not have any slippage, because if you look at their belt wrap it is similar to this. Both idler pulleys come close together for better belt wrap. Again Nitrous Pete is the one that deserves all of the credit.

I am in no way trying to advertise. Just explaining how to fix an issue.

03DOHC

Established Member
SFPH posted this a while back. Supposedly an old trick on previous blower cars.

03BLKCOBRA

Established Member
do you have a part number i went to the ford place and they didnt have one....

thanks

lguerra1

Established Member
Just ask for an idler pulley for an Expedition or F150. It has been the same since 1996. They all use the same idler pulley. Or just take one off of the fornt of your cobra. It has the part number stamped right on it.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Iguerra,
I was looking at Pete's mod a while back. I am worried about tear out of the added pulley mounting bolt. There are no supporting gussets or a cast-in boss like there are for the factory idler pulleys. There is a tremendous amount of lateral force on the bolt and the mounting area on the front cover. If I remember correctly from Pete's install pics, the casting is quite thin next to the new bolt hole too.
Was this a concern for you?
Any comments?
Did you take any pics while doing the mod? I'd love to see them!

Dana

lguerra1

Established Member
Dana,
The only pics are the ones you see. There is 1/4 to 3/8 inch of material between the bolt and corner. I suspect the corner is what you are talking about. Yes, that did concern me at first. However, after having several different blowers, and tensioner setups on them, many had similar bolt mount concerns. And I have never had an issue with one breaking on me before. I think if anything is going to break, it would be the bolt. The bracket itself if at least 1 inch thick and the bolt is going right through it. It takes a tremendous amount of force to break through 1 inch of material. Like I said, if I was looking for a weak point, it would be the bolt.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
It is a nice install job. I meant to say that in the last post, sorry.

Did you have to pull the front casting to be able to drill and tap the holes?
I had decided to go the custom made 4 inch pulley route quite a while back, but may have reconsidered if I had seen your post before hand.
The belt wrap is not quite as much as yours, but I think it will solve the problem of slippage for the moment.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread