Belt screaming, need advice please

arc00ta

Established Member
Hey guys, I am running into a bit of an issue I haven't had before. My car has had a 2.76 on it for quite a while, and everything was fine although the belts wore out every few months as a DD.

I recently got the car back together after extended downtime, and I had changed the blower out for a lower mile one with what I assume to be a 2.93 pulley which I can find very little info on. It says TR 293 on the front and it is a 2-piece with a hub, I can find some hits for a race industries site but thats it.

TR-FLH, HUB ASSEMBLY; TR-2.93 SC PULLEY; TR-2.80 SC PULLEY from SOUTH FLORIDA PULLEY HQ | RaceIndustry.com

The car was good for about 2 days, and then the belt started to chirp over 2000 RPM. Then it screeched over 2000 RPM. This was with my 74" gatorback, as I didn't know the pulley was (presumably) a 2.93 and not a 2.80 as the previous owner of the blower said.

I got a new gates belt and immediately it got worse. I changed all of the idlers just to be sure, and ran it without the SC belt etc. I put a new tensioner on and pulley for that as well. I removed the aux 100mm idler and put a third new belt and it was good for about 1 day and then it came back worse than ever. Its not just a squeak, its screeching so loud its deafening.

I noticed the belt was pushing against the front side of the blower pulley, so I suspected an alignment issue. Sure enough, when I looked closely the front edge of the pulley is very worn from the belt, and the edge of the belt is starting to fray. I put a long straight-edge and checked but it seems to line up.

A couple things I noticed, the hub for the blower pulley is not flush with the blower shaft, it is out about 1/32" more. Also, looking at the crank pulley the belt seems to be closer to the front as well, with a bigger gap towards the motor. What is my best bet of fixing this thing without going through any more belts? I didn't get a pic with the pulley off, but the hub is installed with the straight side towards the blower and the rounded side to the pulley, it only seems to fit that way.

WP_20130312_002.jpg

WP_20130312_001.jpg

WP_20130312_004.jpg

Also noticed the vibration damper parts of the crank pulley look like this, not entirely sure that its normal.

WP_20130312_005.jpg

Avispa

Established Member
New blower, new pulley? You may have a pulley alignment problem, even if you checked it with a straightedge. The ribs on the blower pulley have signs of side loading from the robs on the belt. Notice you don't see the same shiny spots on the crank pulley.

arc00ta

Established Member
New blower, new pulley? You may have a pulley alignment problem, even if you checked it with a straightedge. The ribs on the blower pulley have signs of side loading from the robs on the belt. Notice you don't see the same shiny spots on the crank pulley.

Yeah, its hard to tell what is happening on my car though because the setup was used and the pulley was shiny on the ribs when I got it. Definitely an alignment issue of some sort as the rubbing on the front lip is new. The noise is coming off of the blower pulley, and it is HORRBILE. I tried to take a video of it and it peaked out the mic on my phone so it was just static noise.

The ribs on the belt and the pulley don't seem to mesh well, double check your belt. What's the part number?

I think that angle was bad, it meshes well with the lower and there are no signs of rubbing, it just seems more towards the front when I look from the top.

The belt is a gates K080740HD, but it does the same thing with the half dozen belts I have. How do I determine which way I need to move the pulley? If it is riding the front lip it seems like that would mean the pulley is on too far, but its not even flush with the blower shaft yet. I guess its probably a cheap-o setup because it feels really flimsy when I take it off, maybe a new pulley would be the best bet.

Last edited:

arc00ta

Established Member
Okay, from what I've determined the pulley hub should be flush with the end of the shaft on the blower, but mine sticks out a small amount. Does the wear on the pulley look consistent with the pulley not being on far enough? I'm having a hard time imagining which way it would wear for each scenario, but I think putting it on a little further would be easier than taking it off all the way and starting over.

Users who are viewing this thread