Belt slip on stock boost?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
So I ran a 1/2 mile event about 6-weeks back and noticed that I had a slight coating of black dust on my blower snout. The car is a little over 2-years old with 14K miles and the pulleys have never been touched.

BiminiLX was kind enough to respond in another thread that belt stretch was the likely culprit. I find it frustrating that this is an issue on an un-pullied car. Has anyone else had this issue? How often is everyone changing their belt?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You do know Van makes a stock length upgrade blue belt?
I have no slip issues with a 15% lower and BPS aux. upper pulley next to the stock blower pulley, now with blue belt (previously with green belt).

You're using your car hard in competition form after 14k miles, seems a bit ridiculous to complain too much for something as small as belt slip, especially for a wear item.
Upgrade and carry on using as intended.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You do know Van makes a stock length upgrade blue belt?
I have no slip issues with a 15% lower and BPS aux. upper pulley next to the stock blower pulley, now with blue belt (previously with green belt).

You're using your car hard in competition form after 14k miles, seems a bit ridiculous to complain too much for something as small as belt slip, especially for a wear item.
Upgrade and carry on using as intended.
-J

carguy19

Established Member
My car has a blue belt w a 15% lower and stock upper with a thump tensioner.

I have not had one speck of belt dust the entire time I had the combo on.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the response. More of a minor gripe than anything, if I had pullied the car I would be more understanding of the issue. I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to belts. I'll definitely call Van for that blue replacement. Is there a general rule on replacement so this kind of thing can be prevented in the future? 5, 10, 12k miles?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
with the cost of belts and the fact that youre not out trying to break records/win classes Id just replace them as they start slipping. How hard you are on the car on a regular basis will play a big roll in how long they last.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Anyone have a how to swap blower belt walkthru? I have one handy in the garage and think I want to try swapping it out since i have 10k on the car now.

railroad

Established Member
I do not have the step by step, but it seems I had to remove the accessory belt to get to the sc belt. A couple of tips, draw or obtain a diagram of the belt wrap before pulling it off. Be sure the belt is centered in the grooved pulleys. It will ruin it quickly. Your legs will appreciate the car being higher than ground level. Other than that it is not too bad.

carguy19

Established Member
Anyone have a how to swap blower belt walkthru? I have one handy in the garage and think I want to try swapping it out since i have 10k on the car now.

Loosen the intercooler and coolant reservoirs and flip them up over the radiatior support and zip tie them in place. (leave all hoses on).

Once they are out of the way you can access the tensioner for the sc belt very easy. I think its a 3/8 or 1/2 square end of a socket. If I remember correctly its the larger one. If you have a longer handled breaker bar with a square socket end on it thats best for leverage.

Once you get the square end into the tensioner, the rest is cake. Just make sure you remember the routing and route the new belt the same way.

PS- Keep your fingers away from the belt and tensioner. It hurts like a MF if you get a finger pinched in there. I speak from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread