Belt slip or clutch slip

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Went to a test n tune tonight. Once I shifted into 3rd, there was a short delay before the rims kicked in and same thing into 4th gear. Also last year when Justin from VMP Dyno tuned my car he said my clutch was slipping. I do not know what that feels like so that is why I am asking here. Also once it starting to climb the rpms she ran strong.

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
You should be able to hear, feel and smell the clutch slip. Rpms should go up while the car not accelerating.

With belt slip, your rpms should still climb up normal, consistent with the cars acceleration. You will just have power loss or power flattens with belt slip. You can also hear the belt slip unless your exhaust is obnoxious.

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
Do you have any idea what it could be? A slight hiccup/hesitation right after a shift.

Clutch slip wont give you the hick up or hesitation feeling. It will just rev but the car wont accelerate. You should be able to clearly hear this.

I had the same issue you described last week at track and guys told me we had clutch protection and torque management systems on our cars which needed to be turned off.

I had my tuner turn them off yesterday. So I will give it another shot tomorrow.

Yours sounds like could be the clutch protection kicking in. But noticed vmp tuned your car. Those guys turn those off in their tunes as far as I know.

How are the gaps on your plugs?

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Sounds like belt slip .... especially with a 2.5" and no aux idler. You may or may not also hear a audible "slap" on hard shifts...was very common on my vmp tvs and 2.6" pulley...I have since gone to a trinity tvs and BPS 2.6". VMP has since changed there tooth pitch and width so getting a new pulley will likely solve your issue along with a aux idler

Last edited:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Run the dtc monitor on your sct and look for codes.
I do not have any check engine codes on But I will plug in the tuner and look around.

Sounds like belt slip .... especially with a 2.5" and no aux idler. You may or may not also hear a audible "slap" on hard shifts...was very common on my vmp tvs and 2.6" pulley...I have since gone to a trinity tvs and BPS 2.6". VMP has since changed there tooth pitch and width so getting a new pulley will likely solve your issue along with a aux idler

I do have a 90mm aux idler. It says so in my sig. But I do feel a slap/lag/lunge/ right after the shift before the RPMs start to climb.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I do not have any check engine codes on But I will plug in the tuner and look around.

I do have a 90mm aux idler. It says so in my sig. But I do feel a slap/lag/lunge/ right after the shift before the RPMs start to climb.

90 mm replacement idler or 90mm aux idler assembly....just says 90mm idler in Sig. Any who, thats your issue pal....your glazing the belt upon slip so it takes a second to catch up. Change your belt and pulley bet you it goes away

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
It is the replacement idler not the assembly. So should I get the assembly aux idler setup along with a new pulley and belt?

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
It is the replacement idler not the assembly. So should I get the assembly aux idler setup along with a new pulley and belt?

Dont just spend your money on things right away. Make sure that is your problem before you spend the cash. How tight is your belt? Data log it, have someone check it out. Find out the real problem. But I would def gap those plugs down to .30.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I have looked into it but I do eventually want a smaller 2.38 pulley regardless. I will be contacting BJ Monday to check on the clutch protection and make sure is it turned off. Kinda in a hurry because the ford and shelby mid america event is in my hometown this coming week and want to be able to be 100%

As far as the belt. It is tight. It is not a daily driver and barely get driven so no noticeable belt dust. Has 14k mile as of now. I have noticed this issue on street, just more noticeable at the track

Doing plugs this weekend and I will gap it

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I have looked into it but I do eventually want a smaller 2.38 pulley regardless. I will be contacting BJ Monday to check on the clutch protection and make sure is it turned off. Kinda in a hurry because the ford and shelby mid america event is in my hometown this coming week and want to be able to be 100%

As far as the belt. It is tight. It is not a daily driver and barely get driven so no noticeable belt dust. Has 14k mile as of now. I have noticed this issue on street, just more noticeable at the track

Doing plugs this weekend and I will gap it

Ill say it again.... pulley tooth pitch. VMP changed there tooth from a point to a flat tooth...gaurantee you have a older pulley. Ive seen this issue more times than I could count when anything smaller than a 2.6" was run...especially without a aux idler.

Users who are viewing this thread