Belt slip

LeftinthedusT

Learning...
Established Member
My belt is slipping like crazy... my setup is 2.76 nonslip pulley, 2lb metco lower pulley, and the billetflow 4 peice idlers, Im also running a Gates 79.7" belt

The belt seems pretty tight so idk what to do, should I get a gatorback belt of the same size? How can I fix this belt slip?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
where is your idler on the lower bracket? I suggest moving it to the highest position, i have seen ALOT have issues with running it on the lowest hole.

LeftinthedusT

Learning...
Established Member
I know I am getting slip because there is black dust all over my blower, and chunks of the belt, and I can hear the blower pitch die off when i was running it down the track

I am pretty sure the lower idler is on the top position, I have a 2.93 pulley sitting in my garage, so maybe Ill buy a new gatorback belt, and throw the 2.93 pulley on it

Does anyone know what size/ part # gatorback belt I need for this set up with a 2.93 and 2lb lower, and I talked to sam @coastal dyno, he said he wont really have to retune it if i put a 2.93 on

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
79.7" belt seems a little long for that pulley combo. I run that with a 2.93/4# lower and bf idlers. I did have the 2.76/2# combo for a little while and ran around a 77-78" belt I believe.

LeftinthedusT

Learning...
Established Member
I originally bought a 78" gatorback but I couldnt get it to fit on, maybe ill try to put it back on, any recomendations on how to squeeze it on?

Last edited:

fordracing19

Established Member
The guy at HPP was telling me something about breaking a tab off of the tensioner so you can fit a smaller belt on. He also said to use a gatorback as the gates belts tend to slip more.

boosty

Banned
I just went from 2.80 4lb lower 78'' gator which was seeing 19psi with slip to 11lbs to a 2.8 4lb lower 4pc idlers 79.7 gatorback seeing 16psi with belt slip 14psi thinking of changing to gates 79.0

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
LeftinthedusT said:
My belt is slipping like crazy... my setup is 2.76 nonslip pulley, 2lb metco lower pulley, and the billetflow 4 peice idlers, Im also running a Gates 79.7" belt

The belt seems pretty tight so idk what to do, should I get a gatorback belt of the same size? How can I fix this belt slip?

You need to data log your rpms when you make a pass to tell if there is belt slip. If your rpm's drop then come back up during a WOT run - you have belt slip. Even when I had my 3.1/8lb setup I experienced belt slip, usually would happen right after I got into the next gear. The 10 rib setup is supposed to eliminate all belt slip.

Belt dust is normal wear & tear, which I had/have with all my upper/lower combo's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread