Belt squeal!!!! Help!!!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
OK, thread title says it all. I have tried Gates (which had NEVER given me a problem before the Whipple install) AND just installed a Dayco Poly-rib less than a week ago and it is already squealing like Ned Beatty in Deliverance...I can't take it anymore. Does anyone know what would cause this all of a sudden? I have even switched snout pulleys on the Whipple and still it happens. Only thing that helps is a shot of WD40, and that only works for a day or so. :shrug::fm::bash:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Do you mean a notched tensioner? If so, yes. And yes I have an upper idler as well. This is driving me batty.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Scott, generally, many belt squeal issues are casued by pulley missalignment. Especially with the lower. My Gates' usually last for 3,000 miles or so and then they start singing like like an opera star....

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Had the same issue for quite a while with the Whipple. a few things I did eliminated the problem. Added some 1/16 inch spacers behind the Whipple pulley to bring it out a bit. HBH hooked me up with the spacers. The other thing I did was go another 1/2 inch down on belt size. It was extremely tight but did the job. Also, I removed all the pullies, cleaned them very well and even scuffed them with 2K grit sand paper. I Hope this helps.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have some minor squealing at first start up that goes away after it warms up. I am pretty sure my issue is the idler pulley.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I have some minor squealing at first start up that goes away after it warms up. I am pretty sure my issue is the idler pulley.

With the engine OFF.
Take some DI-ELECTRIC grease on your finger, rub it alllllll through the ribs on the 8-rib and 6 rib belts... just cover about an inch or 2 total in one spot. Then restart the engine.

If the sound goes away 100%, its your belt. More than likely you got coolant on the belt.. you can either remove the belt, and wash it thoroughly...or get a new one.

51w0RmT93AL.jpg

Last edited:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Had the same issue for quite a while with the Whipple. a few things I did eliminated the problem. Added some 1/16 inch spacers behind the Whipple pulley to bring it out a bit. HBH hooked me up with the spacers. The other thing I did was go another 1/2 inch down on belt size. It was extremely tight but did the job. Also, I removed all the pullies, cleaned them very well and even scuffed them with 2K grit sand paper. I Hope this helps.

+1

I had the belt squeal problem in my old Tahoe. Cleaning the pulleys was the best fix. Rubber from the belt was getting rubbed off onto the pulleys, and the rubber-on-rubber contact was making the squeal. It was the worst in wet weather...

Maybe a slight pulley misalignment is causing the rub off??

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Thanks guys. Dwight, I am back to my factory lower pulley, and the belt and pulleys look to be tracking perfectly smoothly. I am going to try cleaning the pulleys. I have noticed that the BF pulleys look a little pitted/grooved also. This only started after I installed the Whipple, so maybe Tim's idea would work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread