Belt squeal Please chime in

Skax

Established Member
Have a annoying ass belt squeal I've replaced all idlers,
alternator and pulley
Swapped tensioner with a old one I had lying around

This is just driving me insane , I threw a new gates belt on it the other day and it didn't squeal for the day , came outside the next day and it's already back at it , any help would be highly appreciated

GodStang

Established Member
Gates belts are known for being VERY noisy. I did all the same things you did and in the end it was the Belt. Swapped out to a Continental/Gatorback and noise is gone.

GodStang

Established Member
Any idea where I can order them at and find a belt chart ?

I get mine from either Summit racing or Rock Auto. I loved Gates belts and have 6-8 of them from all my combos. All my combos always squeaked. After replacing everything I finally swapped to the Continental/Gatorbacks and noise went away. Some of the guys scuff the Gates belt with a light grit sand paper to make the squeal go away. Might try that before swapping belts.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
New tensioner , no fix lol
It's the gates belt. I put a new one on the other day. Silent the first day. Next day it would chirp upon cold start up and go away after a few minutes.

Does yours go away after a while?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There have been a number of threads in the past on this. Switching to a Continental/Gatorback or Gates Green Stripe usually solves the squeak issue.

Here's are two posts from a thread from 2010.
"You either want performance or looks. I have the Gates Green and I like the looks and it works way better than Gatorback. With the Gatorback I always had a squeak until the belt got warmed up. But I haven't had any issues with Gates Green."

"+1 on the squeaks! Getting about 30,000 miles on the Green belt before any squeaks. Most other belts started making noise after just a few months!"

I had squeak issues with my regular Gates belts (not Green Stripe) and switched to Gatorback. No squeaking with Gatorback in my case. But that was only for a few thousand miles.

GodStang

Established Member
I had 3 Gates Green stripes and all three squealed.

There have been a number of threads in the past on this. Switching to a Continental/Gatorback or Gates Green Stripe usually solves the squeak issue.

Here's are two posts from a thread from 2010.
"You either want performance or looks. I have the Gates Green and I like the looks and it works way better than Gatorback. With the Gatorback I always had a squeak until the belt got warmed up. But I haven't had any issues with Gates Green."

"+1 on the squeaks! Getting about 30,000 miles on the Green belt before any squeaks. Most other belts started making noise after just a few months!"

I had squeak issues with my regular Gates belts (not Green Stripe) and switched to Gatorback. No squeaking with Gatorback in my case. But that was only for a few thousand miles.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I use Gatorback / Continental belts exclusively--my Caprice and Roadmaster wagons had belt squeak issues until I changed them out with Gatorbacks, and the Gatorback on my Cobra never squeaks.

You might have some sort of tiny leak near the belt that's causing it to not grip as well--keep that in mind if switching to a Gatorback doesn't resolve the belt squeak issue.

Yellow_rag

Few SVT Poster
Established Member
hey, I've got a belt squeak issue on my 03. I tried different belts too. Then I put a straight edge across my crank pulley and found my alternator pulley is about 1/4 in off from the crank. The belt edge rubs on the pulley as it comes off.

It's an aftermarket alternator. I shimmed it a little on the bottom since you cant do anything about the top mount, so its at a slight angle, but the pulley is now in alignment. It still squeaks a little when I shift gears (revs drop with no load). I'd buy a new alternator but I'm afraid I'd just get the same thing. i thought about putting a 1/4 in spacer behind the alternator pulley but there aren't enough threads on the shaft for that.

Btw, had same issue with my wife's acura when I replaced her alternator. I took the alt back to the store and had them bring 2 more new ones to the counter. I stood them all on their pulleys on the counter and sure enough, the first one was offset from the others. Different pulley.

Skax, have you checked your pulley alignment? Anyone else had this problem? Lesson learned - check the pulley offset at the parts counter.

Dave.O

Established Member
my 03 is doing this as well.

I have run a gates green as my supercharger drive belt for a couple of years with no issues. also have green belt on my lighting with no issues.

Installed one as my accessory drive belt the past winter and it will squeak loudly for 10 min until hot then goes away. I also replace all the inner pulleys and power steering pump as well.

it is possible that the power steering pump is mis aligned as it is new but looked close when I eyeballed it during install. I really don't want to go through that pita project again...

I was starting to get concerned at how loud it was, should I just ignore it and assume it is just typical gates belt noise?

Bullyent

Established Member
04 doing it too.
I’m almost certain it was the billetflow idler pulley but I just replaced the bearing today and still the same chirp. Chirps for about a minute or so then it’s completely gone. Going to replace the belt to see if that does the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread