belt suggestions?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ive been running a Gates K081092-HD on my procharged Mach and shredded a rib, figured Id look into other options before ordering another (I know theres a problem, Ive already corrected it I hope). I was thinking about changing since the things that make the HD belt HD are also apparently bad for grip (ie being harder compound and less flexible).

They have a non HD in the same size but wanted to see what else is out there. Is there some easy way to look for 8 rib belts that are 109.75" or just a bit longer? Or do I really just have to go through the catalogs of various brands? Is there a particular belt you guys would recommend looking for or should I just grab another Gates belt or 2 and see what happens?

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I always just searched through the catalogs. I ran the green belt for a while, but eventually they all started chirping at start up. The last belt I ran was one I ordered from Amazon I think. Probably a $20 special. It never slipped. How much longer are you looking for? I have a couple 8 rib belts hanging up in my garage I'm never going to use. They might be around 110" long.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would think no more than say 111". I definitely cant go smaller than 109.75, its all I can do to get that one on there. I think Im going to just order a standard version of the same belt and see what happens

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll check on the belts when I get home. Since I no longer have a centri car I don't need them. I held onto them just in case.

omj

Established Member
I've had the best luck from green stripe belts of any belt I've ran--Gatorback, standard Gates or HD Gates.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered a standard gates this time around. I figure if I still have an issue it will show up quicker and I can see how it does for belt slip etc...

omj

Established Member
I've found I can get belt from Ebay for about half or less than what the store wants. K081102HD is about $37 to your door.

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I ordered a standard gates this time around. I figure if I still have an issue it will show up quicker and I can see how it does for belt slip etc...
What's the pulley combo and boost? Slipping that bad with a 8 rib kit. On my buddies I ground down the stop tab on tensioner so we could get an even smaller belt on it. My cobra is the same way from the previous owner.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
its a D1 procharger with a 3.5" non slip pulley, stock diameter crank pulley.

There wasnt much dust, I dont think I was having much of a slip issue and Id imagine when the belt shredded that probably caused a decent amount of it. Im using a thump single bolt tensioner.

gatesrpm

Your belt slippage is due to the polyester cord stretching out when it heats up. This is a characteristic of polyester which is found in 99% of the belts on the market. Gates has recently introduced our line of aramid (Kevlar) cord RPM which will not stretch. By the time your belt snaps or you throw it, the tensile cord has stretched beyond the recovery threshold.

While removing the tab on the tensioner is a means to install a smaller belt, that's not necessarily an ideal situation. Not only is there a spring inside the tensioner but there are also damping pads. If the tensioner is run in a fully loaded state for an extended period the wear on these parts will be accelerated.

Obviously building a monster will involve some compromises but your belt drive doesn't have to be one of them.

OP; we don't have that size currently but I can definitely look into getting it released. What are the specs of your setup?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It's an 03 mach1 with the single bolt tensioner. It's now all 8 rib pulleys. Stock size crank (the innovators west is slightly smaller than stock but close enough) and D1 procharger with a 3.5" non slip pulley. Thump single bolt tensioner.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I wa going to say the belt I'm running is EXTREMELY tight. I don't know if a belt that would fit a 10% OD crank pulley would be too long with my current setup or not. I also know there's a difference in how much slack a single bolt vs 3 bolt tensioner can take up

Brutal Metal

Established Member
@gatesrpm can you please look into building the 115" belts too.. That'll cover lots of Centri combo's from Vortech and prochargers..
Yup 111"-115" covers many different centri combo's, mine called for a 113", I ran it with that for awhile then went down to a 112" with no issues it picked up some of the slack on the tensioner and made a tighter overall fit. Have always used Gates regular
V series 6 rib and it holds 14 lbs of boost with a 3.1 upper. I'm pretty much at my limit though if I went with a 2.9 slippage would occur.

gatesrpm

It looks like the longest we have right now in an 8 rib is a 108.8.

I'll look at getting longer belts added but please remember; when switching to an RPM belt you want to err on the longer side.

What are some actual sizes you guys are using?

Users who are viewing this thread