Belt & Tensioning help

LGHTNGfeverUAE

Established Member
I have recently done some upgrades to my 00 L - namely adding a plenum and TB plus 4lb pulley which included a new belt.

The new belt however seems quite loose - it can be fairly easily bent with a thumb and forefinger near the SC and is nowhere as tight as the belt at the bottom on the block as a comparison.

What I wanted to know was:

* How tight should the belt be?
* Is the stock tensioner spring loaded (this is what my parts shop told me) - ie. can it be tightened more?

The belt was supplied by JDM and is numbered AT 25 - 080680.

I am concerned that i may be facing belt slip and a loss of power as the belt is too loose.

Any help or advice would be welcome

speed3198

BEWARE the Jabberwocky!!
Established Member
Try adding a set of billet idler pulleys. They come in 90 & 100 mm diameter sizes. This should eliminate the slack. Depending on mileage for your L it's probably due for them anyway

speed3198

BEWARE the Jabberwocky!!
Established Member
My mistake, I didnt measure the stockers when I swapped them with the 100 mm ones. Im running a 4# pulley and the new idlers made the belt a tighter fit.

LGHTNGfeverUAE

Established Member
Thanks for the info gents. If I understand this correctly a 100mm idler pulley will increase tension.

Would having the correct belt help too?

Alos I am presuming that a tensioner might be a good idea too..

Robert Francis

Established Member
Having the right length belt for your pulley combination is what you want. If you had changed your upper pully to a smaller size, it may have been advantegeous to change your upper idler pully to a larger size (from the standard 90 mm to 100 mm).

The standard belt tensioner is internally spring loaded and "not" adjustable.

LGHTNGfeverUAE

Established Member
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Ok, just got a confirmation from the supplier that they sent a belt for a 6lb pulley not a 4. I am aiming to change it up for the correct one.

I have one last question: Is it still viable to change up the idler pulley to a 100mm if the belt is the correct size?

Robert Francis

Established Member
If you have the correct length belt for a 4 lb pulley and the standard size upper pulley, you shouldn't need a 100 mm idler.

Users who are viewing this thread