Belts, which ones are best?

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
When I had my lightning I always ran the goodyear Gatorback belts, are these still the best ones to use or are there better options out there now? I really never had any belt slip with them just wondering about other brands. Also, I'm not real sure on which one to get for my car. I did a seach on it but nobody seemed to have my set up.

2.70" RR upper, 100mm aux idler, all other idlers stock 90mm, stock lower.

Any help would be great, thanks.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I think quality wise Gates is the best. But I like the sound of the dayco poly cog. I have heard that because of the pattern w/ the gatorback and dayco, they shread easier but that could be due to misaligned pulleys too. I have personally never had a issue. You really can't go wrong.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I had a Gates on my car for about 2 months, then it started to squeak on cold starts.....I've been told that Gates belts have a tendancy to glaze the pullies. I switched to a Gatorback and there is no more squeak and I LOVE the whistle from it. It sounds like a big centrifugal blower is on the car!

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
I've had great luck with either the Goodyear Gatorback or a Dayco poly cog. Fringe benefit is that both whistle very nicely!

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
I had a Gates on my car for about 2 months, then it started to squeak on cold starts.....I've been told that Gates belts have a tendancy to glaze the pullies. I switched to a Gatorback and there is no more squeak and I LOVE the whistle from it. It sounds like a big centrifugal blower is on the car!

Wait so the Gatorback gives a whistle on idle? I have never heard of this before....My GT has a vortech and sometimes I miss the whistle at idle. Do they make them in stock belt sizes?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Wait so the Gatorback gives a whistle on idle? I have never heard of this before....My GT has a vortech and sometimes I miss the whistle at idle. Do they make them in stock belt sizes?

I'm sure they do....I ordered mine from Summit.
Mine whistles nicely.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Gates HD, the green belt, was the best quality belt i've used. My Dayco Poly Cog is noisy but is reasonably priced.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I switched to the Gatorback after getting only 2 months out of my Gates belts (glazing). I honestly liked the Gatorback better. Never had any glazing and I LOVED the muted whistle. Kind of a muted ProCharger sound. :)

I most cases it is a personal preference as far as which one to use though.

Users who are viewing this thread