Best 26 spline street clutch?

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Well it has been along time since I have raced my car but back when I would drag it from time to time, I had a 26 spline liberty input shaft and a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch put in. Well it held on the track great but day to day driving with it is a pain in the butt. Well now it is just used for weekend relaxment and driving to work from time to time. Well it chatters alot and bumper to bumper traffic drives me insane. Can anyone recommend a strong cluth with a factory feel? Plus it has to match up with the the input shaft. i don't mind buy a another flywheel, probably will so I can keep these two together in case I ever decide to get into racing again. Any help would be appreciated.

fred

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Well it has been along time since I have raced my car but back when I would drag it from time to time, I had a 26 spline liberty input shaft and a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch put in. Well it held on the track great but day to day driving with it is a pain in the butt. Well now it is just used for weekend relaxment and driving to work from time to time. Well it chatters alot and bumper to bumper traffic drives me insane. Can anyone recommend a strong cluth with a factory feel? Plus it has to match up with the the input shaft. i don't mind buy a another flywheel, probably will so I can keep these two together in case I ever decide to get into racing again. Any help would be appreciated.

fred

Everyone is LOVING the McLeod RXT from what i've heard. I'll be going this route in a couple weeks or so. It's softer than the factory feel, but that's never a bad thing IMO so long as it's as strong, and if you're going to be breaking 1000ft/lbs, I dunno what to tell ya :-D

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Yeah, i don't need nothing crazy strong, hell if I had my factory stuff I would put it back in. Is the RXT pricey? let me know how it goes. I'm looking for comfort over crazy sticking power.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Mcleod RXT here as well.

Pedal effort of a Honda (literally) and the holding power for 1000 HP.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
No chatter? No jerking?

Mcleod 99-04 Mustang RXT Street Twin Disc Clutch (26 Spline) [6932-07] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Is this the one and if so, what flywheel should I use? This will probalby be the last clutch I ever put in her. So this thing is just as smooth if not smoother than a factory clutch ah?
That is the one.

Here's is the write up I did when I installed mine.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/736893-project-twin-disc-has-begun.html

I reused the factory flywheel.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Aren't you suppose to resurface the flywheel every time you put in a new clutch? If it is a aluminum one, do they turn those? How does that work?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Aren't you suppose to resurface the flywheel every time you put in a new clutch? If it is a aluminum one, do they turn those? How does that work?
You can have your flywheel checked for straightness and grooves/hot spots. If it has enough material, it can be turned like a brake rotor.

My flywheel was in perfect shape so I just cleaned the surface with a scuff disc and brake clean and reused it.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
well then that should take care of that. Now I just need to order my parts and get home to install! I wonder if they ever go on sale? I got a few months to play with yet.

mach1033

Established Member
That Mcleod is pricey as you found out. I have the Spec 3+ with the 26 spline and the pedal feel is like cutting through butter with a hot knife smooth. When my clutch eventually go's I am going to try the mcleod twin disk.

mach1033

Established Member
so if the spec 3+ is great, why would you change to a Mcleod?

Gonna be making more power and I like to change things up. For example I am also contemplating on my 4th exhaust set up. So far my Magnapacks sound great and I'm thinking of getting a 3 inch Bassani set up. I would recommend a Spec 3+ to anyone who ask's.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
No doubt the Mcleod twin disc is a nice piece, but IMO you're wasting $400 going with it over the Spec 3+. The majority of the cars on this board will never test the limits of the 3+'s 800 rear wheel torque capacity.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
No doubt the Mcleod twin disc is a nice piece, but IMO you're wasting $400 going with it over the Spec 3+. The majority of the cars on this board will never test the limits of the 3+'s 800 rear wheel torque capacity.
I have driven many cars with Spec 3+ clutches and I can tell you, even if you don't make the power, the driveability is THAT much better. It's literally half the pedal effort of the Spec stage 3+ (Even with the light pedal effort option).

I would gladly pay $400 more for perfect driveability. It is even much nicer than the stock clutch. Even if my car was stock, I would still use this clutch as a replacement. It is truly a remarkable piece of engineering. The fact that it will handle so much power is just a plus in my book.

svtcobra101

Established Member
hey guys with the RXT mcleod does that require adj pivot ball? or can u keep the stock pivot ball? also is ther any clerance issues with the fork?

reason i ask, i installed in ram twin disc in mine and its been a nightmare for me..this thing chatters so bad it suxs to drive in daily traffic..not to mention the pedal efforrt is very hard... read good things about ram but this one jus is not working for me...

Users who are viewing this thread