Best 5.0 H/C/I swap??

cml3710

Im new to the forum so first of all, hey folks! Anyways im purchasing a foxbody mustang very soon and have been doing alot of research as to what H/C/I swap to do based on what i want out of the car. What i want is a fast streetable fox that i can take to the strip occasionally but mainly just to be my toy on nice days and such. Im willing to spend a decent amount of money on Nice aluminum heads (AFR, Trickflow etc) and a good cam/intake but like i said i dont know what the best combination for what i want would be. If anybody could help me out that'd be greatly appreciated! :)

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
The trickflow top end kit is pretty nice, as it is all made to work together. Switch the stage 1 cam for a stage 2. Also a cobra intak, afr 165, and a ford racing letter cam e/b/x will make some good streetable power. Im sure others will chime in with theirs combos, but that is what i have used. Make sure to upgrade your injector 31+.

cml3710

I've also seen a bunch of guys talking about getting a custom cam made specifically for what setup i would have to get the most out of everything but i have no idea how i'd go about doing that

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well streetable HP needs to be defined. For some thats 300 rwhp for others its 600 rwhp. Will the car have A/C is it an auto or a 5 speed?

If you want anything over 450ish rwhp then either invest in an aftermarket block like Boss or Dart. Or switch to a 351 based motor. As far as parts gets the best biggest heads you can afford. The TFS 11R series of heads are pretty nice. You can never go wrong with some AFR 205/225's. If you want over 350ish rwhp then skip the cobra intake. With some really nice heads and a good bit of HP go for the TFS Box R. Get a custom cam from FTI.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
It all depends on what your happy with.

budget build would be stock motor, bored cleaned up. set of gt40 heads or ported gt40s ford racing or trickflow cam is a good 260-270+rwhp setup. ported 270-300rwhp.

If you want to go the right way like you stated, cant god wrong with Trickflow or Afr heads. a nice set of them with comp cam or custom cam with right parts will be a 300-320rwhp car. with a nice healthy cam or port work your looking at 330-350+rwhp.

I run a set of ported Trickflow heads, comp cam, ported trickflow intake, bored .30 over 306 stock block. pistons higher compression is a nice setup pulls up to 6,000 rpms.

Trickflow and afr have a nice set of new heads for around $1500 trick flow 11r heads and Afr renegade 185cc heads both outflow my set of ported regular old trickflow tw heads. I would look into them. or you contact Anderson ford motor sport. he sells custom cams, his good cams on a stock motor 302 or mild built 306 or 331 c.i motors n41 , n412 cam, n51r , n61r cam. all are .500 to .560 lift. he has dyno charts all are making around 310-360rwhp on a 302 / 306 with set of trickflow heads. you can also contact Ed curtis in Ri he owns fti motor sports like others stated above, he can steer you to a setup for your goals he sells ported heads and custom cams.I run a set of Ed Curtis recommened LSX style high rev dual valve springs. I would recommend if you keeping stock pistons, to notch them depending cam size. you might have ptv issues so you need to check clerance with stock pistons. I would look into a cylinder head with 58 , 60 and 61cc so you can keep compression good or on the higher side the higher the better for more power keeping it all motor. I run 61cc trickflows but with new flattop pistons, I wish I had milled them or got diffrent heads around 58cc would get the compression even higher, 10 to 1 compression is perfect.

Now if you want to spend another $1500-$3000 you could always throw the nice set of heads cam on a nice 331 stroker and makes 400-450rwhp. lol

Anderson fords website

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

Ed Curtis FTI customs website.

http://flowtechinduction.com/

You can contact ed curtis your goals power you want etc. he can guide you to what cam/ custom cam he can grind for what you want . goodluck let us know what you go with.

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
About 10 years ago, I was running a setup build around AFR 165 heads, Trick Flow Stage 1 cam, and home-port-matched Cobra intake. It was a nice little 310 rwhp setup with good under the curve power, with support items like 65mm tb, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Moroso cai, 24's, MAC pulleys, MAC shorty headers, MAC off-road X, and MAC catback. It was a nice street setup, but I feel there was alot of power left on the table with a few different mods. I feel like I could have picked up 20 rwhp and about 500 more rpm's with longtubes, better intake, and bigger MAF/tb.

If I had to do it today...
AFR 185 Renegade heads, prepped by Ed Curtis @ FTI
FTI custom grind cam
Holley Systemax II intake
Anderson Power Pipe
Lightning MAF, 75mm tb, etc etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread