Best Axle Back Exhaust for 2011 GT

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
Like the title says...I'm looking for something not overly loud with no drone. I like the exotic slightly muffled sound verses alot of popping and crackling. I've listened to many videos online but you really can't tell too much from video/audio clips. Suggestions?

psucobra

Established Member
For what you are descibing, I agree, Borla S-type. I have them and they are perfect. Loud but not obnoxious running through the gears. Mellow at cruizing speeds and virtually no drone. Loud enough when you get on it.

csb85

Established Member
Check out Kooks you can get the cat back for around the same price as the borla axel back

PhantomX

Established Member
Sorry GT500's are the best choice. Especially after you run them in a bit. And if you go with off roads the Borlas are obnoxious. I get people pulling up next to me just to tell me how good the car sounds. You also get zero drone at cruising speed but plenty of noise when you mat the gas. Best choice at the best price, winner, winner chicken dinner!

psucobra

Established Member
Sorry GT500's are the best choice. Especially after you run them in a bit. And if you go with off roads the Borlas are obnoxious. I get people pulling up next to me just to tell me how good the car sounds. You also get zero drone at cruising speed but plenty of noise when you mat the gas. Best choice at the best price, winner, winner chicken dinner!

Off roads are great if its not your daily driver, you don't mind showing up to work smelling like exhaust, or if you don't mind changing back and forth to get your state inspection. Been there and done that for too many years. Figure in the price of the off road set up and you're right there with the Borla axel backs.

time capsule

Established Member
I like the sound off the Roush axle back.

I just got rid of my Roush axle back set up. It is exactly what the guy does NOT want. It is way too loud and pops and cracks like a b**ch. keep in mind that I have an off road x pipe. I was told by many that it is just plain old annoying. I went with the Shelby Gt 500 with my off road x pipe and it is exactly what I wanted (IMO)

JerryC

Established Member
Shopping by watching youtube is difficult. What you hear may not be what you get because of the microphone and speaker quality of what was used to record and playback the sound.

If you are not willing to $600 plus, I think either the GT500's or the Roush are where you'll be at. With the GT500's you risk being a little too quiet and the Roush may be a bit too loud.

The good news is that you can sell either of those quickly if you don't like the sound.

I got the Roush, they are loud at startup and at 1/2 throttle and up, mellow at cruise. At this point I wouldnt be happy with quieter.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I love my magnaflow streets.

I think those, GT500 and stainless works are the top 3

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I love my Borla-S Types... Except, I went with the full x-pipe and cat back as well. I did get to hear the axle backs alone the other day, and they are just a little more quiet than the full kit.

Quickstang5o

Established Member
I might get yelled at for saying this but the hushpowers are a nice deep smooth sound. Yes they kinda sound like a truck but with an o/r x their perfect IMO.

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
Thanks guys really leaning towards the GT500 setup, this car is my daily driver so I don't want it too loud...just a little meaner than stock.

zilla8

Established Member
I have the Gibson stainless axleback and love them .Gibson Performance Exhaust #619010

around $420.00 from Summit they also make a aluminized version for around $350.00
they are perfect even with longtubes and o/r xpipe

they are louder then stock but also a chambered muffler so you dont get the drone or obnoxious loud sound like a straight through type muffler.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhluB6OIUNE"]OutPerformance Shop Project 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L V8 6MT Gibson Exhaust - YouTube[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread