best bang for the buck

j smith

Established Member
I've got a '12 boss 302 and I want to make some changes.

I'm seriously considering boosting it with a centrifugal turbo...but not really sold on it...yet.

Keeping it n/a is kind of attractive but I know I can get more power for less money out of a turbo

500hp/torque at the rear wheels would be my goal

What components ate recommended , if I ends stay n/a? Intake swap our stay oem? Cam? Headers...what works best with the boss?

Zemedici

Established Member
close to 500rwhp is obtainable N/A with some longtube headers, cams, and a decent tune.

It wouldnt be cost effective to go FI for 500rwhp. You could put a vortech on it, but you'd be close / over 600rwhp at that point.

noldevin

Established Member
close to 500rwhp is obtainable N/A with some longtube headers, cams, and a decent tune.

It wouldnt be cost effective to go FI for 500rwhp. You could put a vortech on it, but you'd be close / over 600rwhp at that point.
Considering cams+install is about 3k, decent headers are 1-1.5k, and you'll probably need a cobra jet or at least ported manifold and throttle body to hit 500... Boost is still money better spent unless you absolutely want an NA build. You'd start at about 550hp and significantly more tq, instead of capping off at 500hp and about 400tq (unless you want to spend ludicrous money).

_Snake_

Established Member
What he ^^^^^^ said.

I have a Procharger P1 on my 2013 Boss and it made right at 550hp on 7.5 lbs of boost. That's about the bottom line (low end) on rwhp with a centri and it's just right IMHO.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Follow Snake. Pay the extra cash for billet oil pump gear, crank gear, ARP balancer bolt. Plenty of install resources to do it yourself or with a few forum members that would lend a hand...for some beers of course.

BMR Lower control arms and relocation brackets will suffice for suspension. Hawk HPS brake pads will help slow ya down.

j smith

Established Member
I've decided that it makes most sense to go with a procharger centri supercharger. Thinking to leave the oe exhaust too instead of upgrading.

I see they offer a 'cog' system or pulley. Any input on this?

What else do I need? Maf, injectors, bap. What sizes?

Looking to have only about 7lbs of boost . If the end result is 500 to 600 hundred at the wheels I'd be more than happy. I'm pretty sure this is totally attainable

Just looking to do it right the first time

j smith

Established Member
Found a used procharger d1sc1 stage II kit, that was used on a 2012 GT

Im thinking it should fit fine on my Boss. Any thoughts?

What should I look for in a used centrifugal s/c?? Seller says 5k miles

_Snake_

Established Member
The D1 is larger than the P1 and capable of making significantly more power. I think the lowest # I've seen with the D1 is in the mid-600's, and you'll need to consider upgrades to the fuel system to keep things happy.

That being said, it'll fit without any issues. Honestly not sure what to look for in a used centri, and hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in.

j smith

Established Member
The D1 is larger than the P1 and capable of making significantly more power. I think the lowest # I've seen with the D1 is in the mid-600's, and you'll need to consider upgrades to the fuel system to keep things happy.

That being said, it'll fit without any issues. Honestly not sure what to look for in a used centri, and hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in.

You're using the oe injectors? No BAP?

j smith

Established Member
Well, went to check out the procharger today and was pretty disappointed.

Was supposed to be a one owner unit off of a 2014 gt.

It looked rough over all. Owner let it Slip that he actually bought it used after originally telling me he bought it new.

So, I passed on it.

_Snake_

Established Member
You're using the oe injectors? No BAP?

Correct. No BAP and stock injectors. I can swap pulleys and make another 2-3 lbs of boost, but I'll need to address both of those in addition to the pulley and dyno tune.

cprboss

Established Member
I started out with a paxton centrifugal blower, it was a great supercharger. Keep in mind that your power will be concentrated in the upper rpm's with centri blowers. The feeling of speed is deceptive vs the hit from a twin screw or turbo.

j smith

Established Member
^^ honestly, a positive displacement sc I'd what will likely make me the happiest from a performance standpoint.

I'm like most though and wanted to save my intake by going centri

GrabUblue

Established Member
Buy new from beefcake. We just installed a Paxton on my nephews gt, put down just under 600 on pump and 650 on e85.

I'm waiting on my cpr kit to arrive, any day now!

cprboss

Established Member
You are going to love the cpr, glad to see another boss run it! I had the paxton prior, saw up to 675rwhp in Denver on the 3.3. Have seen 850+ on the turbo and the car runs like a champ. Just ran a 5.94 at 120 1/8th mi on the stock motor, 7000+ DA. Th400 swap.

There are some specifics for the bosses/trackpack cars with this kit. PM me and I can get you my number to help you out w questions on install.

Sorry for the thread jack, proceed! Cliff notes are get the cpr over the paxton lol.

Users who are viewing this thread