Best bang for your Bullitt?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
The reason why I say not to change out the catback is because it is a special catback used for only the Bullitt. Since you are looking for the muscle car sound I would suggest a O/R H pipe first and if you arent satisfied with that sound ( I personally think it sounds exactly like a 60s musclecar with the o/r h pipe). Then add the Borla exhaust. But dont let the shop cut up ur Bullitt catback as you can sell if for a pretty good price.

IDk if you know this, but it's not used only for the bullit.;-)

spike_africa

Established Member
The Mach1 just got special tips it does not have the Bullitt catback as far as I have ever heard. Only thing different from the GT catback to the Mach1 is the tips.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
The Mach1 just got special tips it does not have the Bullitt catback as far as I have ever heard. Only thing different from the GT catback to the Mach1 is the tips.

How is the Bullitt's different than a GT/Mach exhaust? From what I've seen the mach and Bullitt share the exhaust and the GT's are different. Then again, I am more familiar with 4V's than the 2V's. I searched and what I found looks like the answer lies in the middle. The Machs exhaust is full SS with Rolled tips, but is never referenced to the Bullitt. I can't find anything on the stock Bullitt exhaust. Everything is flooded with a/m cat-backs. :lol:

spike_africa

Established Member
They got a special catback with a specificly tuned set of mufflers to make them sound like the 66 mustang from the movie BULLITT. That's the difference as they sound totally different and are much louder then stock GT/Mach1 catbacks.

adidas_kn

Kenne Bullitt
Established Member
I had a set of UDP's, JLT CAI, Bassani Catted X, Flowmaster 40's in the stock bullitt pipes and a built rear with 4.10's. It put down 265Rwhp and 305Rwtq on a custom dyno tune(Diablosport)and it was a blast to drive. It has a nice burble at idle and really gets loud at WOT. The sound @ 3k rpm was just awesome!.

Since I slapped a 2.1L Kenne Bell on my Bullitt I have a Full JLT CAI painted DHG(Bullitt green) along with a set of UDP's for sale. PM me if your interested.

Last edited:

DSG_4_ME

Established Member
I have a black 01 Bullitt with the following bolt ons:

BBK longtubes
Dr Gas o/r xpipe
Bassani Catback
JLT CAI
4.10s
March UD pulleys
MGW shifter (this is a must)

All these combined with my 93 octane tune really woke this car up...

Swaie

Established Member
The piping is the same...factory 2.25 inch, non mandrel bent crap. The mufflers are different in the way that they use less packing to make it louder, but it is still tube same factory crap. Not that you get alot of gains out of a fatback anyway. So many people saying don't change it out like it's special it's not, and in my opinion it doesn't even sound like the movie anyway!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
They got a special catback with a specificly tuned set of mufflers to make them sound like the 66 mustang from the movie BULLITT. That's the difference as they sound totally different and are much louder then stock GT/Mach1 catbacks.

Hmmm, funny, it was a 68 mustang in that movie and I've heard a stock bullitt next to my Mach and the mach had a deeper sound. :shrug:

Not trying to take anything from the bullitt as I like them alot, but come on. Please stop making it more than it is.

oh wait, how many times have I been told that of machs. :lol::beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
The piping is the same...factory 2.25 inch, non mandrel bent crap. The mufflers are different in the way that they use less packing to make it louder, but it is still tube same factory crap. Not that you get alot of gains out of a fatback anyway. So many people saying don't change it out like it's special it's not, and in my opinion it doesn't even sound like the movie anyway!

that's what I thought. :shrug:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Woodoo I got the year of the car wrong.

so, you can nit pick abotu catbacks and glorify the Bullitt's minor differences (about the same difference between mach/gt) and all of sudden me pointing out two completely different looking body style/years and I get a retort worthy of indicating I'm being childish. MMMMMMM'ok.:dw:

Swaie

Established Member
To me the Mach1 is a hybrid between the Bullitt and the 01 cobra...Which the Mach1 is my favorite mustang ever!!! There really isn't much diffence between a Bullitt and a regular GT guys. Brake upgrade(which people do anyway) shity stock exhaust( just a little louder...Very little) Purty bullitt badges, mach1 guage cluster(which was in the bullitt first) Stiffer suspension, shitty subframe connectors, Different intake manifold and throttle body combo.(all that for 5 hp not impressed) Different side scoops and no wing( hell they should have left those off anyway) But it's still a cool car I guess, it gets m where I need to go and I have beat my cousin's 2002 GT with the same exact mods I have, soo may be there is a secret!!! Nah, I doubt it, I just have 3.55 gears and didn't tell him.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
To me the Mach1 is a hybrid between the Bullitt and the 01 cobra...Which the Mach1 is my favorite mustang ever!!! There really isn't much diffence between a Bullitt and a regular GT guys. Brake upgrade(which people do anyway) shity stock exhaust( just a little louder...Very little) Purty bullitt badges, mach1 guage cluster(which was in the bullitt first) Stiffer suspension, shitty subframe connectors, Different intake manifold and throttle body combo.(all that for 5 hp not impressed) Different side scoops and no wing( hell they should have left those off anyway) But it's still a cool car I guess, it gets m where I need to go and I have beat my cousin's 2002 GT with the same exact mods I have, soo may be there is a secret!!! Nah, I doubt it, I just have 3.55 gears and didn't tell him.

I like the bullitts. Heck, I'd love a mach, bullitt and terminator in my garage......well, my old 65 Koupe too. :beer:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
The mufflers are different in the way that they use less packing to make it louder, but it is still tube same factory crap. So many people saying don't change it out like it's special it's not,

Yes they are. Made by a company called Arvin.

Having said that, other than the gears, the best N/A bolt on are Longtubes with matching X or H. Solid 25-30rwtq gain. I dont know of any other single bolt on that will come close to that. :beer:

Swaie

Established Member
Yes they are. Made by a company called Arvin.

Having said that, other than the gears, the best N/A bolt on are Longtubes with matching X or H. Solid 25-30rwtq gain. I dont know of any other single bolt on that will come close to that. :beer:

Acually Arvin has been bought out by Emcon Technologies But the road is still called Arvin road in Dexter Mo. I use to work there after I graduated from high school in 2000 when these things were made. It's the same piping trust me. Same shelf, bent on the same machine welded by the same welder. Only thing is for the Bullitt run they bring in these mufflers. And to tell you the truth all bullitts don't have the "special mufflers". If one of the mufflers was damaged we would put gt mufflers on until another bullitt set was damaged. You don't know the difference until you look at the part number, or cut open the mufflers and weigh the packing. THATS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Acually Arvin has been bought out by Emcon Technologies But the road is still called Arvin road in Dexter Mo. I use to work there after I graduated from high school in 2000 when these things were made. It's the same piping trust me. Same shelf, bent on the same machine welded by the same welder. Only thing is for the Bullitt run they bring in these mufflers. And to tell you the truth all bullitts don't have the "special mufflers". If one of the mufflers was damaged we would put gt mufflers on until another bullitt set was damaged. You don't know the difference until you look at the part number, or cut open the mufflers and weigh the packing. THATS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE!

THANK YOU! :rockon::beer:

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I'll give you my 2 cents.

Intake and exhaust. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

I prefer the LT headers and full exhaust . The only way to get the LUB-DUB you want is with cams and that is not a bolt on but also very nice.

Have fun and post a vid when you are done so we can hear it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread