Best bang for your Bullitt?

Coldlogik

Coldlogik
Hey guys this is my first post here and I was just looking for a little insight. Anyone have some very good opinions or actually know from fact what would be the best bet to spend my money on for bolt-on aplications to my 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt, it only has 59k miles on it and from what ive looked at its totally stock. Im looking for power and sound. So please factor those into your opinions. Thanks a ton guys.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
It comes down to personal preference on the sound, over all goal and budget.

Would you like information on mild bolt ons, over all N/A...etc. etc?

Let's start with what is your overall goal/usage and round about budget.

Basic's would be CAI/plenum, Midpipe, Catback, ALum DS, 4.10s, Dyno tune.

Or....ATi procharger/Vortech, midpipe, catback.

boduke0220

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcZ-2rXhDo&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Bullitt and GT[/ame]

Heres my friends bullitt with MAC H pipe and MAC catback, sounds really good IMO.

I also recommend 4.10 gears, they're the best mod i've ever done to my car.

Best bang for the buck mod for the 4.6L 2V = gears

If I were you, I'd start off by getting ahold of a good catback exhaust (for sound). There are a lot of choices out there but it basically comes down to whether you want a chambered muffler (flowmaster, MAC, etc) or a straight-through/glasspack muffler (magnaflow, borla, etc.) You can browse through sound clips of each on mustangexhaust.com

Mustang Exhaust Sound Clips - MustangExhaust.com Forums

cam302

89 vert
Established Member
What I would do is some gears.CAI, a bbk mid with a magnaflow catback, after that if you still want more. You can do a dyno tune and through a nice 75 or 100 shot on it :)

Bullitt4859

Established Member
I actually own a 2001 Bullitt and from first hand experience a JLT CAI, MGW Shifter, and a MAC O/R H- pipe is definitely mods that should be done. Also 3.73 gears is another good choice. I don't know if you have joined yet but some good info on Bullitts and mods to do, join IMBOC.com (International Mustang Bullitt Owners Club)

*** DONT CHANGE OUT THE CATBACK ON THE BULLITT,

Coldlogik

Coldlogik
My goal is to give my Bullitt a classic muscle car sound. You know the whole deep *Blub-blub-blub* type sound at idol. And to posibley make some good times on the drag strip. But this is my daily driver so I will be driving it around for a purpose but also to enjoy it. I was thinking of putting on a borla stinger exhaust but I don't know if that will achieve the sound I want. How much are the 4.10 gears? And would it be difficult for someone of less than medium car skills to install? Thanks alot for all your suggestions I appreciate your help!!!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
My goal is to give my Bullitt a classic muscle car sound. You know the whole deep *Blub-blub-blub* type sound at idol. And to posibley make some good times on the drag strip. But this is my daily driver so I will be driving it around for a purpose but also to enjoy it. I was thinking of putting on a borla stinger exhaust but I don't know if that will achieve the sound I want. How much are the 4.10 gears? And would it be difficult for someone of less than medium car skills to install? Thanks alot for all your suggestions I appreciate your help!!!

In that case....Midpipe, CAI, AlumDS, 3.90s/4.10s, catback (not sure why you wouldn't change it out per above), and a dyno tune. Personally (many will disagree), I wouldn't go steeper than 4.10s. If you decide to go FI later then you're all set. But that's me.

I would NOT advise changing out gears your own if you are 'medium' skilled. Again, I'm sure some will disagree, but there are shops that can't seem to get it right. I've said this many times on here, gears are the one thing I wouldn't skimp on when it comes to $$$. Grinding, whining, piss poor install could/will cause a major headache down the road.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I'm very pleased with the exhaust note my car puts out with the set-up as follows:

1) Borla catback (Saleen Installed)
2) BBK Off-Road H pipe
3) BBK Long Tube Headers

The sound is the easy part, but when it comes to power gain with the 2V it's not too cheap unless you go with a nitrous kit and a tune.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
In that case....Midpipe, CAI, AlumDS, 3.90s/4.10s, catback (not sure why you wouldn't change it out per above), and a dyno tune. Personally (many will disagree), I wouldn't go steeper than 4.10s. If you decide to go FI later then you're all set. But that's me.

I would NOT advise changing out gears your own if you are 'medium' skilled. Again, I'm sure some will disagree, but there are shops that can't seem to get it right. I've said this many times on here, gears are the one thing I wouldn't skimp on when it comes to $$$. Grinding, whining, piss poor install could/will cause a major headache down the road.

Some good advice here. DONT attempt to do a gear swap unless your confident in your abilities at working on cars. 4.10's are a must IMO, best mod when talking about bang for your hard earned dollar. Every thing else will help things out but unfortunately the 2valve just doesnt pick up alot of power with simple mods. If it was me I would do exhaust, gears, clutch/shifter and leave it at that for now.

As for the suggestion of keeping the stock catback, I think that the Bullitt catback is very free flowing and you probably wouldnt notice any power gains by swapping it out. Catbacks are primarily for sound anyway, thats what most of us base our choice on so I wouldnt hesitate in changing it personally.

Last edited:

white venom 03

Established Member
Some good advice here. DONT attempt to do a gear swap unless your confident in your abilities at working on cars. 4.10's are a must IMO, best mod when talking about bang for your hard earned dollar. Every thing else will help things out but unfortunately the 2valve just doesnt pick up alot of power with simple mods. If it was me I would do exhaust, gears, clutch/shifter and leave it at that for now.

As for the suggestion of keeping the stock catback, I think that the Bullitt catback is very free flowing and you probably wouldnt notice any power gains by swapping it out. Catbacks are primarily for sound anyway, thats what most of us base our choice on so I wouldnt hesitate in changing it personally.

plus 1. 4.10s = excessive use of left foot.

Coldlogik

Coldlogik
In that case....Midpipe, CAI, AlumDS, 3.90s/4.10s, catback (not sure why you wouldn't change it out per above), and a dyno tune.

As far as midpipe and AlumDS do you have any preferences on vendor? Im working with bamachips to get my superchip and x-cal. I also decided on the VRS offroad 3' stainless xpipe and a borla catback. Then ill take it to a dyno. So what do you think? Thanks alot Pony, and everyone else!!!

Last edited:

white venom 03

Established Member
As far as midpipe and AlumDS do you have any preferences on vendor? Im working with bamachips to get my superchip and x-cal. I also decided on the VRS offroad 3' stainless xpipe and a borla catback. Then ill take it to a dyno. So what do you think? Thanks alot Pony, and everyone else!!!

get everything you need from this website

Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle

nothing but good feedback on these guys, great quality and fast shipping and FREE shipping that is

04RiceEater

Established Member
I am about to aquire a 01 bullit and it has full exhaust, 3.73 gears, shifter, UD Pulleys,intake and a tune. I think the owner said it puts down around 300hp/300+tq. So it seems these are the mods that are popular with these cars.

spike_africa

Established Member
The bullitt got a special catback that is louder then a stock GT and is tuned to sound like the mustang in the movie BULLITT. Just add an O/R H-pipe and the car will sound awesome!!!

I agree don't change the catback on a BULLITT!!!!!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
FRPP ALumDS IMO. Look for an auth. vendor on here like lethal perf. and give them a list of what you want for a quote with shipping, IMO.

I'm not a fan of canned and box tunes myself. I would prefer to hold off on installing certain A/F affecting mods until I'm able to get a custom dyno tune. In fact, that's what I did with my DSG. Some will disagree, but that's my opinion.

I loved the Borla Stingers. I had a UPR highflow catted X with it, and it was schweet.
The bullitt got a special catback that is louder then a stock GT and is tuned to sound like the mustang in the movie BULLITT. Just add an O/R H-pipe and the car will sound awesome!!!

I agree don't change the catback on a BULLITT!!!!!

The mach had the same catback as the bullit. Even the stock catback's can be improved IMHO. Not saying they dont' sound nice though. :beer:

Bullitt4859

Established Member
The reason why I say not to change out the catback is because it is a special catback used for only the Bullitt. Since you are looking for the muscle car sound I would suggest a O/R H pipe first and if you arent satisfied with that sound ( I personally think it sounds exactly like a 60s musclecar with the o/r h pipe). Then add the Borla exhaust. But dont let the shop cut up ur Bullitt catback as you can sell if for a pretty good price.

Swaie

Established Member
Blow that!!!pull that stock crap off...yea it does sound different than the GT but not that much better. I went with the BBK off road X and slp LM1. I love it. Best gains for the money is definatly the gears!!! Intakes don't do that much, but they help. For the intake i just pulled off the snorkel and threw in the K&N filter. Also throw 125 shot on and you will love it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread