Best cams for mach 1????

Stormbringer

Established Member
I'm very interested. Bonus gets here mid month. Are they streetable? I don't mind a lope but I have to be able to DD it.

I've heard of a lot of guys running them in daily drivers, but they are very large cams for a 4V. They will require a tune and aftermarket springs. I was going to daily drive the car that they're going in but I'm in a small financial bind and I need to get rid of them.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
:lol: Sorry my buddy was logged in and I didn't see it. The above post was coming from me.

No worries man....I was looking to do a build with a Hellion or Vortech. But a complete Eaton setup just came available for cheap and am going with that. I just want to make sure I can use them before I buy them. Would they work w/ a FI setup? or are they strictly NA?

If they're good for FI I'll take them off your hands if you can wait til the 12th or so.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
There is no need to cam a stock shortblock motor if you are going to go FI. However, if you really want cams, the 96-98 Cobra cams and the GT cams would be a good fit for a stock FI motor. The longer duration cams will give you less low end and will not match up to the rpm limiting intake manifold.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
There is no need to cam a stock shortblock motor if you are going to go FI. However, if you really want cams, the 96-98 Cobra cams and the GT cams would be a good fit for a stock FI motor. The longer duration cams will give you less low end and will not match up to the rpm limiting intake manifold.

Not staying stock....since I'm getting the Heaton I can afford to get the forged stroker shortblock right now as well so I'll be doing a complete build.

yefferys50

Established Member
No worries man....I was looking to do a build with a Hellion or Vortech. But a complete Eaton setup just came available for cheap and am going with that. I just want to make sure I can use them before I buy them. Would they work w/ a FI setup? or are they strictly NA?

If they're good for FI I'll take them off your hands if you can wait til the 12th or so.

They are N/A cams but I'm sure you'll still see power gains by going with them in a FI combo. You won't get as much power out of them like you would with custom cams designed for your combo but you will see gains regardless. I can guarantee you that it will produce more power then if you were running stock cams.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
They are N/A cams but I'm sure you'll still see power gains by going with them in a FI combo. You won't get as much power out of them like you would with custom cams designed for your combo but you will see gains regardless. I can guarantee you that it will produce more power then if you were running stock cams.

Sweet...I just heard a sound clip of a stage 3 cammed KB Cobra..:eek::rockon:

I'm definitely down. I'll talk to my builder to see if different compression pistons will help given the style of cams. I'll send you a cert check on the 12th if that's ok by you.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
GUYS>>>>GUYS>>>>>>GUYS. I dont' know how many times I ahve said this..............Think about your long term goal. Cam'd FI will be different than Cam'd N/A (for the most part).

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
GUYS>>>>GUYS>>>>>>GUYS. I dont' know how many times I ahve said this..............Think about your long term goal. Cam'd FI will be different than Cam'd N/A (for the most part).

Are you saying I should get cams for FI only? I'm eventually going either KB or Whipple after the Heaton gets old.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Are you saying I should get cams for FI only? I'm eventually going either KB or Whipple after the Heaton gets old.

YES>.......traditionally, N/A cams will have a higher lift than what is good for FI. Ford GT cams are GREAT for FI...check out the registry. THere is a great write on them....especially given the cost of them, vs. aftermarket ones. There are 'blower' cams then there are 'N/A' cams.

ANd KB v. Whi vs. Eaton doesn't matter....FI is FI. :beer:

yefferys50

Established Member
YES>.......traditionally, N/A cams will have a higher lift than what is good for FI. Ford GT cams are GREAT for FI...check out the registry. THere is a great write on them....especially given the cost of them, vs. aftermarket ones. There are 'blower' cams then there are 'N/A' cams.

You are correct in what you say except for the fact that you neglect to mention that cams regardless of whether they're designed specifically for a NA or FI combo will produce better power then stock. I'm not saying NA cams will produce as much power in an FI combo as FI cams will but they will be better then stock. I think for the price the Crower Stage 3 would be an awesome compliment to his combo. If he was to get some custom grinds or even new cams designed for an FI combo then he will spend a lot more then $700, which is my asking price.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
You are correct in what you say except for the fact that you neglect to mention that cams regardless of whether they're designed specifically for a NA or FI combo will produce better power then stock. I'm not saying NA cams will produce as much power in an FI combo as FI cams will but they will be better then stock. I think for the price the Crower Stage 3 would be an awesome compliment to his combo. If he was to get some custom grinds or even new cams designed for an FI combo then he will spend a lot more then $700, which is my asking price.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I am not saying cams aren't a good choice over stock.....not be any means actually. I am saying he should get cams...jsut make sure he gets the appropriate one for his 'long term' goals. That may very well be the CS 3s......I jsut want him to realize that he should pick the ones best suited for his setup.

I mean..seriously, how many guys just throw setups together and end up being disappointed or getting horrible results due to 'bad combos'?:beer:

IMO: the OP should have posted the thread title: best cams for FI mach OR best cams for N/A.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

That is incorrect, traditionally FI cams have a wider lobe seperation angle, more exhaust duration when compared the the intake valve timing, less duration than n/a cams and roughly the same amount of lift.

The GT cams have more lift than the stock Mach cams and about 20 degrees more duration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread