Best exhaust for car with twins

slim9687

Established Member
I just picked up a built cobra with a HPP twin turbo kit on it. It has their x pipe and a Mac 3" cat back on it....not digging the sound at all. What do you guys recommend to get it sounding more like a mustang and less like a old Chevy truck

z28misfit

Established Member
ive heard people say to go with bullet style mufflers with turbo cars. not sure on exact reason why but I plan on running a bullet style mufflers on my car once I fab up my own turbo kit.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Anything that isnt chambered will be best. Or you could do twin electric cutouts as close to the trans as possible and then run whatever chambered catback you want just make sure you open the cutouts before going WOT(you could set them up on a Hobbs switch if you desire.)

MTBSully

Established Member
As has been said, any bullet style muffler will work. I knew the turbo would quiet the exhaust down a bunch. So i have mine straight piped to my borla stinger catback, and it sounds awesome. Somewhat quiet at idle (except when it is cold lol) and screams at wot.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I ran the SLP Loudmouth mufflers on my 2002 saleen (twin turbo 2 valve).
It had a 3" offroad exhaust (x-pipe). Had a good sound at idle/cruising but would scream at wide open throttle.

I run the Magnaflow mufflers on my 1998 saleen (twin turbo 4 valve).
It has 3" offroad exhaust (x-pipe). It's very quiet at idle and cruising but not very loud at wide open throttle.

Good luck. Mufflers for these cars will have a unique sound due to the turbos actually quieting the noise and acting like mufflers!

Ryan

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I've been happy with the performance and sound of the Magnaflow's. I also have Magnaflow Magnapak's but haven't installed them yet. I was hoping to make it sound a little more aggressive.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
You guys that are saying "straight piped" are you talking about no midpipe crossover or just no cats?

I just put an IRS back in my car but the catback I got with it is not fitting due to the custom midpipe (mufflers hitting subframe because midpipe reaches too far back. I've been talking with my exhaust guy about fabbing up a complete 3" system from the downpipes back (no cats of course) and was wondering what other turbo cars are doing.

Right now my exhaust is pretty bastardized, 3" downpipes to a 3" midpipe that immediately necks down to 2.5". The catback I have is a 2.5" as well so I'm thinking short-term I can buy some 2.5" in/out Dynomax Race Bullets to replace the mufflers.

Long-term will be a full 3" system with modified downpipes (3" round-oval-round) to give me extra clearance under the kmember, custom 3" midpipe (crossover or not?), and a JBA or Mac modified 3" catback with Race Bullet mufflers replacing chambered.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
The pipe that connects the down pipe(s) to the catback is straight pipe. No x, no h, and no cats.

prostkr

Established Member
The best will have no neck downs. My personal minimum would be 3" true duals no x or h. But it has to have cutouts properly placed. The last jeep we did it was a 70hp difference cutouts open on the pump gas tune.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Awesome, I didn't know anybody did true duals with these cars. I'm working on a full 3" setup right now, I know for sure I'll be using the JBA 3" catback from Lethal and replacing the chambered mufflers with some sort of bullet mufflers. My exhaust guy will redo my downpipes, either route through the k-member or use oval sections to give me a little more ground clearance under the k-member. The downpipes will be extended all the way to the catback, no crossover.

Drkadrk

Established Member
I've been happy with the performance and sound of the Magnaflow's. I also have Magnaflow Magnapak's but haven't installed them yet. I was hoping to make it sound a little more aggressive.

You're on the right path if you want more of an aggressive sound. Im still SC but had magnaflows and x-pipe then swapped the flows for the magna packs.. 10x better. Similar to the stingers in sound but louder. Best mufflers imo

Users who are viewing this thread