Best Heat Exchanger Options

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
After owning my completely stock 2011 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500 and putting on about 300 miles, it really is an amazing car! :banana: BUT, after driving for several miles at a time here in Florida, I was noticing some reduced power output (I kinda thought it was in my head). After reading on this forum about HEATSOAK, I am beginning to realize that is an important issue to address. So, I see several different aftermarket heat exchangers. Which is the best and why?

I kinda like the VMP triple pass one, but I don't want any cutting or hacking of the bumper cover or any other part of the car. My future plans (other than the H/E) would most likely be a pully, tune and JLT CAI. I don't think I'll go much farther.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
VMP products are all great plus they can get you set up with pulley, cai and tune at the same time. I use AFCO dual fan and I love it. Installation was straight forward and it is a great product. Van at Raven Racing has some great options as well.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I saw the AFCO dual fan setup, the VMP one and there is a C&R one over at Shelby that looks good too. Plus, I have seen some "upgrades" that include a NO FAN setup (seems like that might be a waste, though).

Van@RevanRacing

Don't waste your time on a non-fanned heat exchanger. I developed the original dual fan heat exchanger with C&R and then sold it to Shelby. (also developed their radiators and the reservoirs you see on their site) I sell the same one Shelby sells which employs a racing core that removes heat extremely well and the fastest recovery time amongst the heat exchangers on the market. The original dual fan still kicking butt eight years after the original design and development. Developed and tested right here in South Florida at Sebring, Homestead, PBIR and Daytona International Speedway.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
After owning my completely stock 2011 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500 and putting on about 300 miles, it really is an amazing car! :banana: BUT, after driving for several miles at a time here in Florida, I was noticing some reduced power output (I kinda thought it was in my head). After reading on this forum about HEATSOAK, I am beginning to realize that is an important issue to address. So, I see several different aftermarket heat exchangers. Which is the best and why?

I kinda like the VMP triple pass one, but I don't want any cutting or hacking of the bumper cover or any other part of the car. My future plans (other than the H/E) would most likely be a pully, tune and JLT CAI. I don't think I'll go much farther.

You don't have to cut anything. Plug and play.

bj

Van@RevanRacing

Plug and Play has its attributes both good and bad. At least AFCO wised up a while back and followed our lead and went to dual fan wiring harness relays albeit not the brand of the manufacturer of the fan like the C&R Unit. SPAL Fans and SPAL Relays. Anybody recall the burnt fuse holders on the original AFCO wiring system? Wiring kits like the ones we use are designed for the customer to place the relays in a location of their choosing and conceal the wiring to their liking as well. Wiring is not difficult. Four Wires off each of the relays.

Grey To Ground
Orange To Trigger (Water Pump Voltage Feed Wire)
Yellow to Fused Power Lead (Off of Engine Bay Fuse Box Holder)
Red to Red (Positive Fan Lead Wire)

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Anyone recall when cars had carbs? Things improve. Smart people take advantage of that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Two different cars, two C&R heat exchangers from Van@RevanRacing.

Works wonders.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! Now, I am going to sound very ignorant, but please bear with me. So, my son and I gave the car another bath last night. Before we did, I got down and tried to look at the whether or not I would even be able to see the "SHELBY" logo on the C&R on the Shelby site. It turns out that it would be hard to see on my 2011 without swapping to a 2013 bumper. But, what I did see was a C&R logo (only the "R" was visible at first)! Upon closer inspection, we were able to notice two fans also when looking through the hood latch hole. AND, the intercooler reservoir is definitely the 3x one. So, I guess the car is already set in the cooling department!

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I was reading that a tune can change the temperature as to when the computer pulls timing etc. So, first, how can I tell (without a tuner) if the car is tuned or not? Second, since I got surprised by the upgraded heat exchanger, how can I tell if the pully has been swapped? It looks like a stock one to me. Other than the idler pully up top near the Eaton, is there another place a bigger idler can be put?

Van@RevanRacing

I was reading that a tune can change the temperature as to when the computer pulls timing etc. So, first, how can I tell (without a tuner) if the car is tuned or not? Second, since I got surprised by the upgraded heat exchanger, how can I tell if the pully has been swapped? It looks like a stock one to me. Other than the idler pully up top near the Eaton, is there another place a bigger idler can be put?

Open the hood and take a picture and post it to photo bucket and then post a link in this thread so we can see what your engine bay looks like and whether or not you might have some mods to the car. Yes, a tune changes the point in which the PCM will pull timing. If you're car is stock it pulls it very early.

barspen

Established Member
Grey To Ground
Orange To Trigger (Water Pump Voltage Feed Wire)
Yellow to Fused Power Lead (Off of Engine Bay Fuse Box Holder)
Red to Red (Positive Fan Lead Wire)

The wiring seemed intimidating prior to the install, but it was actually very easy. I gave myself a full day, but had it wrapped up really quick. I liked being able to trim and route the wires where I wanted them and dress them with wire loom.

455HO71

Established Member
I just installed one last month on my 11. Went with the AFCO bought off of a member here (can't remember his forum name off the top of my head sorry! Got it for $6.. brand new in box as he is a dealer. Very happy with it and even had a custom SVT stencil made and painted the lettering on it.

svtpolice

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
You don't have to cut anything. Plug and play.

bj

Just did this install night before last.

TOP quality, you get what you pay for. Completely plug and play. I own a 2011. It looks really nice behind the grill and I got the expansion tank as well. The instructions are really well put together.

Van@RevanRacing

Anyone recall when cars had carbs? Things improve. Smart people take advantage of that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Listen up buddy! I'm not giving up my Beta Max, 8 Track Tapes or Holley 750 Double Pumper no matter how much things improve!

As for wiring, I wired a cruise control on my dad's 76' Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight when I was seven years old. I'm like Smith Barney, "I do things the old fashioned way"

Hope you're well BJ.

VC

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Listen up buddy! I'm not giving up my Beta Max, 8 Track Tapes or Holley 750 Double Pumper no matter how much things improve!

As for wiring, I wired a cruise control on my dad's 76' Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight when I was seven years old. I'm like Smith Barney, "I do things the old fashioned way"

Hope you're well BJ.

VC

LOL! I sold all my leftover carbs, but, I still have a factory 8 track player from my old Olds Convertible and a big box of 8 track tapes that I'll eventually put on eBay soon.

But, seriously, this is the newest car I have owned in MANY years. So, I find my self having to read the owner's manuals, lol. Still trying to get used to Bluetooth and iPod connectivity etc.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Open the hood and take a picture and post it to photo bucket and then post a link in this thread so we can see what your engine bay looks like and whether or not you might have some mods to the car. Yes, a tune changes the point in which the PCM will pull timing. If you're car is stock it pulls it very early.

I'll get a couple pics tonight when I get home and post them up by tomorrow. Thanks!

VNMOUS1

Established Member

Hope you're well BJ.

VC

:)

bj

Users who are viewing this thread