Best laptop under $1,000

usaf_eagle

Established Member
I'm looking for a better laptop. I've bought "budget" laptops the last 4-5 years and I'm getting sick of their inability to multitask with any sort of consistency. Basically I need something that won't freeze when burning blu-rays, converting 20gb mkv, and transferring them to my synology NAS. I'm not really going to play games on it or anything, but I want some serious boot/programs/transfer speeds on it. I'm NOT opposed to buying used either, so maybe a better laptop from the last year or two? I've always had windows, but could always be persuaded to a Mac.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Just look for something with a SSD, I5 processor, and 8 gb of ram. If you find a 4gb ram and everything else is good, just by now ram from newegg, it won't cost much.

Don't even think about a mac, you won't find even a used one for under 1k that will do what you want it to.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
looks on craigslist for used or "new, sealed in box" ones. gamer oriented will be your best bet for the performance you want. ssd is a must as well. either budget that in or find a laptop with one already. keep in mind not all ssd's are created equal...

86Fbody

Established Member
Lenovo makes a really good laptop for the money, and don't get a Mac unless you don't want to over pay for the same hardware.

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Hmm. I've seen quite a few that have two hard drives: an SSD for the OS and a disk drive for the memory. Would that work? What brands or types of SSDs should I avoid?

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I'm looking for a better laptop. I've bought "budget" laptops the last 4-5 years and I'm getting sick of their inability to multitask with any sort of consistency. Basically I need something that won't freeze when burning blu-rays, converting 20gb mkv, and transferring them to my synology NAS. I'm not really going to play games on it or anything, but I want some serious boot/programs/transfer speeds on it. I'm NOT opposed to buying used either, so maybe a better laptop from the last year or two? I've always had windows, but could always be persuaded to a Mac.

Ok since you are not a gamer then on board grpahics should be fine. Unless you use photoshop.

Here ya go perfect

Acer Aspire V7-482PG-6629 NX.MB5AA.005 Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 24 SSD NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Full HD 14 Ultrabook Windows 8 at TigerDirect.com

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Hmm. I've seen quite a few that have two hard drives: an SSD for the OS and a disk drive for the memory. Would that work? What brands or types of SSDs should I avoid?

an SSd for the HD means your windows will fork faster but a traditional drive is used for the storage of most of your files and programs.

YEs that works

honestly all SSD's are about the same, if you are looking to increase the size of your ssd you can convert a CD drive slot into oen that can take an aftermarket SSD then run a usb cable to a portable cd drive

usaf_eagle

Established Member
an SSd for the HD means your windows will fork faster but a traditional drive is used for the storage of most of your files and programs.

YEs that works

honestly all SSD's are about the same, if you are looking to increase the size of your ssd you can convert a CD drive slot into oen that can take an aftermarket SSD then run a usb cable to a portable cd drive

Wow.. I've never heard of that. I have an external disk drive so I really have no need for one on my laptop (I never use my current one anyways)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I purchased my Dell latitude 12 a couple years ago refubished with a 25% coupon through dell. I5, 128 SSD, and 8 GB ram for $750 bucks. It has been a great machine!:beer:

I like, Sony, Toshiba, and Lenovo as well.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
How about something like this?
HP Elitebook 8560P, i5 2540, 8G, 120GB SSD, 15.6", Windows8.1 Pro
Has everything venom mentioned. I've heard good things about Lenovo and had a strained relationship with my current HP (most likely because it was cheap and underpowered).

Looks good but I would probably buy an external HDD for pictures/music because 120GB is not a lot. You want to put all the programs that you will be using on that SSD though, external HDDs are pretty slow.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Ok since you are not a gamer then on board grpahics should be fine. Unless you use photoshop.

Here ya go perfect

Acer Aspire V7-482PG-6629 NX.MB5AA.005 Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 24 SSD NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Full HD 14 Ultrabook Windows 8 at TigerDirect.com

I'm confused, they advertise that it has a 500gb SSD (big money) but when you read up on it they say it's a 5400rmp HHD which is slow as heck. :??:

YEs that works

I'd say Samsung is quite a bit better than most other SSDs.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Costco is going to be having a Envy 15 with I7, 12gb ram, backlit keyboard, etc. for $699. I think that starts 3/6.

Love my envy 15.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Costco is going to be having a Envy 15 with I7, 12gb ram, backlit keyboard, etc. for $699. I think that starts 3/6.

Love my envy 15.

He needs SSD though. You're looking at a $120 upgrade on top of $699. Not sure if he needs to pay extra for an I7 and 12gb of ram. The display looks nice though.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
He needs SSD though. You're looking at a $120 upgrade on top of $699. Not sure if he needs to pay extra for an I7 and 12gb of ram. The display looks nice though.

I had an SSD on my last laptop. Until they become affordable for mass storage, theyre useless in most laptops to me. 120-250gb just doesnt cut it very much these days.

My envy 15 has the 32gb + 1tb hybrid drive.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I had an SSD on my last laptop. Until they become affordable for mass storage, theyre useless in most laptops to me. 120-250gb just doesnt cut it very much these days.

My envy 15 has the 32gb + 1tb hybrid drive.

No HDD can match an SSD in speed. That's why you get an external HDD for non-program files.

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
This is my experience/personal opinion after repairing laptops/Desktops at Geek Squad for 2 years (don't work there anymore):

Whatever you get just make sure you get something with USB 3.0

I would say go for a desktop. You can always upgrade it easier than a laptop. You can get a 120GB SSD, i5, 16GB of RAM, play games and everything else you mentioned and better for around $700.

Macs are expensive but they are worth the price. You're not just spending the money on a name, you're spending it on a great product. If I did get a Mac in to repair it, I would have 1 Mac to 12 Windows computer ratio. Usually those macs had nothing wrong with them either, just a stupid owner.

All Windows PC break down just about the same (HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus)

Samsung and Sony Laptops- you are only paying for a name (Rarely I've had people swear these laptops/desktops are amazing)

Toshibas are junk. I might as well been working at a Toshiba factory with all the parts I replaced for these things. (had 1 person tell me he had no problem w/ his toshiba in 2 years, maybe this could be you! ;-))

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
No HDD can match an SSD in speed. That's why you get an external HDD for non-program files.

this.

I went Mac this time and I'm loving it. It was painful to lay down that much cash but this thing flies faster than my last Alienware that had better specs.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
this.

I went Mac this time and I'm loving it. It was painful to lay down that much cash but this thing flies faster than my last Alienware that had better specs.

Absolutely love my MacBook Air with haswell processor.. 15hr battery life.
Ssd 256gb
8gb ram

Perfect

Users who are viewing this thread