Best Lower Control Arms

dowchr

Established Member
Looking for suggestions for the best lower control arms for the money.

I have a supercharged 97 make about 450 RWHP. Given that power what are the best control arms to go with?

I am thinking about Maxium Motorsport heavy duty's but they are a little pricey.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What are your plans for the car?? Most control arms will be just fine.. But you probably don't need MM stuff if you're not going to be autocrossing or open tracking..

SVT CAMR

Established Member

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Best control arm: the one that corrects the design shortcomings of the factory arms.

There are only two in existence: J and M and MM.

/thread.

Last edited:

dowchr

Established Member
Great feed back guys. Thanks.

Ultimatly I'm looking for what will make the car hook up best. The previous owner made built the car for straight line duty only. I want to be able to put the rear sway bar back on the car but use a LCA are will help get all the power to the ground best.

I will add there are drag shocks of some kind on the the car but not sure what they are. I'm open to good suggestions for a good set if shocks as well.

Thanks all for the help.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
my previous car cut 1.62 60fts with 287 rwhp @ 3300lbs with summit racing control arms
my current car cut 1.34 60ft with 677 rwhp @ 3500lbs with UPR control arms

Both cars were/are daily driven manuals

Last edited:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
REAR:
Stock rear springs. Stock rear sway bar.
J&M products (street-race) http://www.hotpart.com/1979-1998-199...-spring-perch/ weight jacker lowers. baseline suspension (Street launch) http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/k...reetlaunch.htm relocated uppers. Strange 10 way adjustable shocks Strange Engineering Set to 5-6. stock sway bar OK! set ride height about 3/4" lower from stock. go from there.

Do the rear first and see if you need to spend more money on the front.

FRONT:
Remove front sway bar. 175 or 150 rate coil over Kit. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...t-springs.html adjustable struts. (strange good bang for the buck) set to 2-3 go from there.

If you do not go with weight jackers plan on cutting 1 coil off each side of a set of stock rear springs. this will get you in the ball park for ride height.

Team Z also make some real nice pieces for suspension.

97cobra1

Established Member
Rear setup:
MM lowers
Stock uppers (MM recommends)
MM shocks
4.10s
The new KDW tire from BFG in 275

I can mat the pedal in first and the car just grips and goes.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Best control arm: the one that corrects the design shortcomings of the factory arms.

There are only two in existence: J and M and MM.

/thread.

LOL WUUUUTTTTT.. Proof?? So you're saying Griggs is incorrect lol?? False.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I had the Lakewood LCAs on my old car initially. 20150 was the part number. Did its job.

Last edited:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
LOL WUUUUTTTTT.. Proof?? So you're saying Griggs is incorrect lol?? False.
Griggs... nobody can afford Griggs so I left them out by default lol. But yes they do have a street arm.

Honestly OP any arm with a spherical bearing at one end will come CLOSE to correcting the factory arm's flaws, and nearly every manufacturer makes a set. But they are going to cause a substantial increase in NVH and most average joe's aren't interested in that. They are also all going to increase the chances of torque box damage. If you want an arm that corrects the factory faults AND doesn't add NVH(noise/vibration/harshness) AND doesn't pose a risk for torque box damage, then you have the "poly-ball" arm by J/M and the urethane bumper/spherical bearing by MM. If you aren't an average joe then by all means go and spend a fraction of the cost for a set of UPR arms and you'll have an arm that will provide an improved launch while eliminating MOST of the bind that all urethane bushed(basically every arm mentioned in here besides J/M and MM) can create, but you still won't have an arm that poses no risk of torque box damage.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Looking for suggestions for the best lower control arms for the money.

I have a supercharged 97 make about 450 RWHP. Given that power what are the best control arms to go with?

I am thinking about Maxium Motorsport heavy duty's but they are a little pricey.

Damn, I just sold a set of MM HD's for $190 yesterday. They did help with traction a good bit.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Why spend all that money on MM when u can get spherical ended team z or hell even UPRs for less and there even lighter, MM is overpriced and adds weight.

Users who are viewing this thread