Best mountain climbing boots?

mellor_21

Established Member
Cliffs - Need a good pair of hiking boots for extreme slopes

Hey all,

Time for new boots! My last pair (La Sportiva) wore out after about 8 months of heavy use. They were pretty good, but I have the spare cash right now and want to try something different.
I'm a seismic driller. I work 7 days a week hiking a straight line through whatever terrain is in the way in all types of weather. At the moment, we're doing about 5 miles a day on extremely steep slopes covered in loose rocks (currently PA) with a ~40 lb backpack. I need a pair that are waterproof, have great traction, even in the rain, are comfortable, and can handle the stresses of 60+ degree slopes for months on end. My last pair saw a low of -37 F in ND and today got their high of ~98 F.
I've been looking at Zamberlan 760's, but I can't really tell the difference between marketing hype and reality. Since SVTP'ers know everything about everything.. can anyone help me out?

Or, if you know a good mountain climbing forum, I'd love to check that out.
Let me know if you need any more info.

O3dsg

Established Member
Just be lazy and buy this.
rokon_trail_breaker_bk87o.gif

mellor_21

Established Member
Snakepitracing, I stub my toes too much to risk that

03dsg, i wish! we've tried talking them into letting us use dirt bikes.. no dice. maybe one of those gyrocopters like go-go gadget used..

Blown_by_you, those seem like exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Still open for more options/discussion

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Danner makes great boots, but going from the extreme temperatures, you'll need more than 1 pair.. a boot that will be comfortable in -40 temp will be sweltering in 100 degree weather..

mellor_21

Established Member
Danner makes great boots, but going from the extreme temperatures, you'll need more than 1 pair.. a boot that will be comfortable in -40 temp will be sweltering in 100 degree weather..

You're right, and come to think of it I believe that I used a different pair up there. But, hopefully, I won't be in ND again any time soon. Supposedly this one in PA will last till September, then I'll be going home to Utah or somewhere in Colorado for the next half year or so. So maybe more like -10 minimum.
I'm going to check out the Danners, but I'll probably go with the Salomons unless someone comes up with something better. I've been reading the reviews and they seem pretty stellar.
Thanks for the help guys. Can always count on SVTP lol, no matter what the random topic!

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
Asolo not cheap but great mountaineering boots. You do know with hiking / Treking boots you should be wearing a liner sock plus a heavier wool sock , so that changes the comfort level

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You're right, and come to think of it I believe that I used a different pair up there. But, hopefully, I won't be in ND again any time soon. Supposedly this one in PA will last till September, then I'll be going home to Utah or somewhere in Colorado for the next half year or so. So maybe more like -10 minimum.
I'm going to check out the Danners, but I'll probably go with the Salomons unless someone comes up with something better. I've been reading the reviews and they seem pretty stellar.
Thanks for the help guys. Can always count on SVTP lol, no matter what the random topic!

My roommie just bought the salomons and his first hike in them was 16 miles, 10000 foot elevation change of pure hellish rocky switchbacks and he had no blisters or soreness whatsoever. The waterproofing is also very impressive. They are incredibly light for their size, but stiff enough for the rockiest mountain trails.. I ****ing love them!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mellor_21

Established Member
BBY-That sounds like a fun hike! I got the Salomons, and they are awesome!
Last-Agreed

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Just be lazy and buy this.

Derail

-Random: I actually have one of those.-

My cousin does power lines and right of ways, his company has him on this:

kawasaki-mule-01.jpg

(Or a John Deere Gator, I forget)

I need to call him, I'll see what he wears.

Last edited:

only a gt

Established Member
+1 for Danners. I'd go with the combat hikers, you can almost walk up a wall with how much grip they have.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

i've never had a pair of Danners make it more than one hunting season in PA
had two pairs of Danner Pronghorns and both blew out after a few months of chasing deer around

i went back to Irish Setters

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Kenetrek or bust. Simply the best you can buy. Just read the reviews. I've used them for years hunting in some of the toughest mountains in North America, and they've never let me down. They'll blow any of the stuff you can order from Cabela's out of the water.

Look at the Mountain Extremes or Mountain Guide. Very pricey, but you get what you pay for. Customer service is great, and they are repairable. I promise you they'll take whatever you could possibly throw at them.

Kenetrek Mountain Boots-Kenetrek Boots

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread