Best mpg youv ever gotten?

Richter888

Established Member
~21-22.

huge lawl to people saying 28+ in a Cobra...

I honestly don't know how everyone is getting even 25+, let alone 28. And getting better mileage with gears? Complete BS. Only way gears would help is maybe at lower speeds, you can use a higher gear to maintain a lower rpm, but at highway it will get worse. Only city driving could I see gears making a difference.

I'm not sure how most of you guys are calculating your mileage, but I'm going to bet some of you are doing it wrong, or your just not tracking it properly. Or my car is just a piece of shit when it comes to gas mileage lol. zPipe's car too.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I honestly don't know how everyone is getting even 25+, let alone 28. And getting better mileage with gears? Complete BS. Only way gears would help is maybe at lower speeds, you can use a higher gear to maintain a lower rpm, but at highway it will get worse. Only city driving could I see gears making a difference.

I'm not sure how most of you guys are calculating your mileage, but I'm going to bet some of you are doing it wrong, or your just not tracking it properly. Or my car is just a piece of shit when it comes to gas mileage lol. zPipe's car too.

gears help at highway speeds because they place the motor closer to it's efficiency range.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My gears are stock. I do have an 03 6speed tranny installed though. Maybe that's a reason my mileage is so good. I cruise at 75 in 6th at about 1400-1600 rpms

You shouldn't be that low with a T-56 and stock gears. 75mph put me at 2k with stock 3.27's. Maybe you have the .50 6th?

RyanApfel

Established Member
I guess anything's possible. I got it off craigslist. The guy I bought it from said the gears were stock and he didn't mention anything special about the tranny other than it was a 6 speed.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I have had a new edge cobra for the better part of the last 13 years. I calculate mpg at just about every fillup. I try to use the same station and same pump with the same top off method, and my consistency in results seems to back up the accuracy. Right now with off road x, catback, CAI, and tune with 4.10s I can get about 24 at 75 mph on highway even going through moderately hilly terrain. I can't really say about city or mixed driving as my foot gets a little heavy, but I usually am around 17-18 with a lot of WOT driving.

I will say that my first 01 when bone stock would get 27-28 through hills on the highway at 75, and after some bolt ons and tune it would touch 30 on flat ground. It is not impossible, but for those saying going faster doesn't improve mpg, with 3.27 gears I woul consistently get 2 mpg better at 75 than 65. 80 was even a little better but was risking tickets. I used to drive from St. Louis to Louisville and back every weekend for almost two years so I had a lot of opportunity to experiment with different methods back then.

Drpeckr

Established Member
01 Cobra MPG

Either some of you are lying or there is something really wrong with my car.

Its an 01 Cobra w/ long tubes, catted H, Borla catback, 3.27 rear, 18" FR500s, K&N FIPK, SCT BAMA email tune etc..

If I beat on it, I get ~15.1MPG, if I drive nice, I get ~16MPG.. not much incentive to not stay in the pedal!

Just got my JLT RAI this morning and my BBK O/R X should be here next week sometime.. then it'll be going in for custom dyno tuning.. hope that helps..

01yellercobra

Established Member
Either some of you are lying or there is something really wrong with my car.

Its an 01 Cobra w/ long tubes, catted H, Borla catback, 3.27 rear, 18" FR500s, K&N FIPK, SCT BAMA email tune etc..

If I beat on it, I get ~15.1MPG, if I drive nice, I get ~16MPG.. not much incentive to not stay in the pedal!

Just got my JLT RAI this morning and my BBK O/R X should be here next week sometime.. then it'll be going in for custom dyno tuning.. hope that helps..

Could be the tune. It could also be where you're driving. If you're doing a lot of stop and go your mpg is going to suck. When I was DD mine 99% of my commute was traffic lights. With 3.27's my mpg was 12-14 depending on the time of year.

I did the same thing where I went through a tank without getting on it at all. I got the same mpg so I figured screw it, I was going to enjoy driving my car.

RyanApfel

Established Member
Well I donno how many of u drive from cali to vegas but its a two lane no traffic road. I hit 70 on the cruise control and let it go for 3 hours. Thats how I got my milage.... plus most of it is down hill so I'd throw it in neutral and coast as much as I could

01yellercobra

Established Member
Well I donno how many of u drive from cali to vegas but its a two lane no traffic road. I hit 70 on the cruise control and let it go for 3 hours. Thats how I got my milage.... plus most of it is down hill so I'd throw it in neutral and coast as much as I could

We took the wife's 06 last time we went to Vegas and I remember being surprised by the mileage. I was doing 80 pretty much all the way up and back.

Richter888

Established Member
Everyone keeps saying it keeps it on its efficiency range. Sounds like a gimmick to me, but does anyone have a link that elaborates on what that range is for the 4.6? I'm betting the range between everyone in here covers 1900 thru 2800 rpm at 70 mph, but yet somehow everyone is getting varying mpg in the high 20s.

I understand if a motor is at too low of an rpm and is under load, it will use more gas. Higher rpm with little load should use less(dependent upon conditions of course).

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Everyone keeps saying it keeps it on its efficiency range. Sounds like a gimmick to me, but does anyone have a link that elaborates on what that range is for the 4.6? I'm betting the range between everyone in here covers 1900 thru 2800 rpm at 70 mph, but yet somehow everyone is getting varying mpg in the high 20s.

I understand if a motor is at too low of an rpm and is under load, it will use more gas. Higher rpm with little load should use less(dependent upon conditions of course).

Go cruise highway speeds in a Honda. They don't turn idle. They turn higher RPM's where the small motors with high airflow excel.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
I need to get a good datalog when school starts back, with my 3.08's on the highway at 70mph(load,rpm,inj. pulse width, and calculated mpg) vs what they will be when I install my 3.73s or 3.55s when I decide which to get. Maybe that'll help with some physical evidence

01yellercobra

Established Member
I guess anything's possible. I got it off craigslist. The guy I bought it from said the gears were stock and he didn't mention anything special about the tranny other than it was a 6 speed.

You should get under the car and look for some part numbers. An online calculator shows you having the .50 6th gear.

Richter888

Established Member
I need to get a good datalog when school starts back, with my 3.08's on the highway at 70mph(load,rpm,inj. pulse width, and calculated mpg) vs what they will be when I install my 3.73s or 3.55s when I decide which to get. Maybe that'll help with some physical evidence

This right here. I didn't think about datalogging. When I return, I will see if I can get a good log on what my car is doing at those speeds. Maybe this will give more insight as to what's happening. My mileage really didn't change too much with the Eaton. We will see!

Users who are viewing this thread