Best of the mass-produced synoils?

Cobra'03

Established Member
How about Valvoline Synpower? It scored much higher than Mobil 1, Royal Purple(tration), and other synoils from major oil companies on both the Noack volatility (an indice of high temp stability) and TBN (an indice of resistance to acid formation, and long service life). So it look like a good choice if availability and price count. Actually, Valvoline's dino All Climate looked good too, as did Pennzoil Synthetic and dino Multi-Vis.

Red Line and Amsoil consistently scored higher (and I mean 100% to 200% higher) on these tests as well. Noack in the 5-7% range, and TBN in the 10-12 range. Their wear scar distances were 50% lower on average.

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
I had always heard Valvoline was some of the best conventional oil and have used it in previous cars (including my Mach1) with no problems at all. For the Cobra though, I did a lot more research. I did my first oil change at 1500, second change at 3000 using Ford's 5W20 each time. I just hit 4000 miles today and ordered my Amsoil 5W20 and SDF11 filter. I'm putting it in at 5000 and that will be my new oil. The way I see it--if a company (Amsoil) offers a far superior product (based on test results I've seen) that meets Ford's specs, that makes good sense to use. So I'm happy with my choice (and I've never spent so much time selecting oil). Thanks to y'all here (esp Cobra 03) for the info, the links etc.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've seen a number of synthetic oil tests and it seems like every test has a different order as to which is best. Personally I think they're all good.
:)

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I've seen a number of synthetic oil tests and it seems like every test has a different order as to which is best. Personally I think they're all good.

Bob, I agree.

Keeping it clean is more important in my mind than any particular brand. I personally think it is splitting hairs.

Jim

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I'll try SynPower the next few times around...10W-30 for the summer months, 5W-30 all other months.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Ayrton
Glen I sent you a PM…

ayrton: answered

Ox: you won't be disappointed. They make a good injector cleaner as well.

anyone wants the full test results I can PM it as it is a PDF

davidmax

Established Member
We have torn apart of motors over the years the ones that needed tear down and repair suprisingly used alot of Mobil1.When you tear apart a motor on 50K of red line that wants to lower compression for more boost a Red Line motor is sludge free and these cars mostly Vettes are run hard in the harsh AZ. heat.
Just my 2cents in my 427 TT I Idle at 225 degrees oil temp once in traffic or just staying in boost a few minutes here and there and my oil pressure will drop to 11-14 psi even my stand idles at 20.When I use 15-50 weather it be red line or any oil syn or organic or blends I idle at 21-14 Lbs.
Yes new sending unit and hi volume(new) oil pump installed,the only thing that makes a diff in turbo and SC motors is higher viscosity,and I have seen this phenomenon over the years so its nothing new to me.Today of comes my radiator shroud and I will clear all debris and thats usually good for 2-8% cooler temps and I use a 4 core race readiatorwith integral oil cooler.
By the way GM says anything over 9 lbs at idle is Kosher,go figure it scares me when my little hands built a Daytona quality C5r motor with the finest internals money can buy,Dave S.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
David, I'm with you as far as Amsoil. I did some research and the synthetic that sounds like it does the job best is Amsoil. I haven't made a decision yet if I will switch to a synthetic at 3,000 miles but at this point it looks like it will be Amsoil. I think the bottom line is that if you drive your car close to normal with the occasional race here and there, and change your oil every 2,000 miles (3,000 max) even a high grade petroleum motor oil will do an excellent job in extending the life of your motor and protecting the internals. JMO.

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
anyone wants the full test results I can PM it as it is a PDF
I'd love to see the results. Looking forward to them. Thanks.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread