Best oil filters available in an auto parts store for 5.0

5.0Flareside

Established Member
I've used Motorcraft oil filters religiously for over 28 years driving 900,000+ miles, on 4, 6, and 8 cylinder Fords with ZERO issues. And, I change those filters once every 2,000-3,500 miles with the oil. That's normal driving up here on the Tundra (-25F to +105F).

Like Me32, I'm a Motorcraft Lifer!:rockon:

like we've said above nothing at all wrong with a MC filter. they're awesome filters. but there are MUCH better filters out there.

also changing oil at 2500-3500 miles on practically any oil is a waste anymore.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
like we've said above nothing at all wrong with a MC filter. they're awesome filters. but there are MUCH better filters out there.

Agreed.

Motorcraft has the best bang for the buck cheap filter. However, we know it can't compete with a filter which cost more than $10.00

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Agreed.

Motorcraft has the best bang for the buck cheap filter. However, we know it can't compete with a filter which cost more than $10.00

I've changed my own oil for almost 40 years, and will state these facts:
- I have NEVER had an engine oil/filter related issue with any vehicle I have owned in 900,000+ miles implementing this strategy.
- None of them have ever burned in excess of 1 quart/3,000 miles.
- The synthetic oil I drop out of the oil pan today after 2,000-3,500 miles is as "black" as the oil I dropped out 40 years ago. Over 300 oil changes easy.
- Automotive engineers claim that today's engines produce less harmful by-products. OK, fine. But my oil is still as black.
- I can buy Motorcraft Standard/Synthetic Blend or Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Motorcraft oil filter for 1/2 of what you spend, so I can do it twice as often.
- You change oil less often and spend more, and I do it more frequently for less! So actually overall mile for mile, I run cleaner oil through my vehicles than you do.
- I get underneath/under the hood of our vehicles more often to see whats going on. Many times I have found issues, identified problems that have prevented a breakdown or tow truck calls.
- It sucks changing my oil on our vehicles in a garage at +10F in the winter. But I'm very thankful we've got a garage.
- If I spend an extra $200-$350 a year to accomplish that in 5 vehicles, I'M ALL IN, and will be for the rest of my life. That's peanuts compare to $2,500 engine work and breakdowns I've avoided.
- I recycle all my used oil products.
- Spending more money for a product (oil filter) saying it is better for everyone is total BS.
- Unleashed Beast - you are a salesman correct? I understand why you say what you do, you should. Hey you are a salesman.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

Established Member
dude better filtration is better filtration.. PERIOD. The "black" oil ist a sign of the oil being done.. its actually doing its job. the only way to know where or how much life an oil actually has is used oil analysis. and say you spend 30 bucks for a 5qt jug of oil and filter together. changed every 3k. take 55 bucks for 5qts of Amsoil and a Amsoil or royal purple filter and change hell every 10k miles. (advertise 25k, I say 15k) you saving yourself 35 bucks over a span of 10k miles. that argument is very invalid.

. and I still open my hood weekly check all fluids, and make sure all is well. so that argument is invalid.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
IMO, if the Ford Racing filter had the same media as th Royal Purple/Amsoil it would be the best filter out there. If it had a grippy coating like a Putorlator or Fram it would be basically unbeatable.

kbmag1

Established Member
How much value do you place on the ADBV? MC filters have them, some of the more expensive filter do not.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
How much value do you place on the ADBV? MC filters have them, some of the more expensive filter do not.

uhm.... WHAT? where have you ever read this? the only filters that don't have ADBV's are ones that are junk cheap, or ones that are designed not to have it cause the engine block has one internal.. a lot of Chevy's are this way..

5.0Flareside

Established Member
you can actually order online.. PM unleashed beast And he can get you his links. or if you want local guy go on amsoil.com and there will be a yellow bar saying find Amsoil near you.. click it and out zip code in and it'll give you the list of T1 certified dealers in your area.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
you can actually order online.. PM unleashed beast And he can get you his links. or if you want local guy go on amsoil.com and there will be a yellow bar saying find Amsoil near you.. click it and out zip code in and it'll give you the list of T1 certified dealers in your area.

Yeah I knew you could online from Unleashed, which is what I'll probably do in the future, but last week I needed some in a hurry and couldn't get it. And I couldn't get it to tell me who has it near me on my phone. I'll try when I get home.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I've changed my own oil for almost 40 years, and will state these facts:
- I have NEVER had an engine oil/filter related issue with any vehicle I have owned in 900,000+ miles implementing this strategy.

No doubt, you are changing the oil before it's 50% life is up, or course you are in the clear. I'm just letting you know, there are more benefits to a true synthetic than only increasing oil change interval mileage. The old myth 3,000 mile oil change was busted years ago.

- None of them have ever burned in excess of 1 quart/3,000 miles.

With Amsoil Signature Series, you will burn little to no oil at all. This is a good side effect of lubricants with a low NOACK Volatility %. Every car I use Amsoil SS in requires no make up oil added all year long.

- The synthetic oil I drop out of the oil pan today after 2,000-3,500 miles is as "black" as the oil I dropped out 40 years ago. Over 300 oil changes easy.

Color of the lubricant doesn't tell true condition. It only shows you the lubricant is cleaning deposits from your engine. I've sent samples to the lab that were black as midnight in a vacuum. The lab report results told me it was wasted when the oil was changed, and wasn't ready yet.

- Automotive engineers claim that today's engines produce less harmful by-products. OK, fine. But my oil is still as black.

See post above. It's because of fuel injection technology and better computer control of emission systems.

- I can buy Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Motorcraft oil filter for 1/2 of what you spend, so I can do it twice as often.

and I will still invest less than you, with better engine protection in the long run. One oil change a year, with benefits hydrocracked petroleum Mobil 1 can no longer duplicate, like:

Lower frictional coefficient - less heat and wear
Lower Noack Volatility - less lubricant evaporation in the PCV system (contamination)
Better cold start flow - less wear on cold starts (proven in another thread)
Lower micron filtration from a nano-fiber filter without flow restriction (better filtering)

In summary, I can grow big and strong eating bologna, but it won't give me the protein of red meat.

- You change oil less often and spend more, and I do it more frequently for less! So actually overall mile for mile, I run cleaner oil through my vehicles than you do.

False, please read above. You are doing nothing more than wasting earth's valuable resources more rapidly than I am. You are not better protecting your engine, period.

- I get underneath/under the hood of our vehicles more often to see whats going on. Many times I have found issues, identified problems that have prevented a breakdown or tow truck calls.

You don't have to be performing an oil change to make these random checks. This is the lamest excuse I have heard from cheap oil users, defending 3,000 mile oil changes.

- It sucks changing my oil on our vehicles in a garage at +10F in the winter. But I'm very thankful we've got a garage.

So, wouldn't it be nice to only have to do this once a year, while saving money, and better protecting your mother Earth? Not to mention all the other benefits listed above?

- If I spend an extra $200-$350 a year to accomplish that in 5 vehicles, I'M ALL IN, and will be for the rest of my life. That's peanuts compare to $2,500 engine work and breakdowns I've avoided.

but I said it would save you money on your oil change intervals, and time....

preferred customer

- I recycle all my used oil products.

So do I, and only once a year. Less waste oil is BETTER for our environment.

- Spending more money for a product (oil filter) saying it is better for everyone is total BS.

You have not been paying attention Daniel San! Wax on, Wax off!

- Unleashed Beast - you are a salesman correct? I understand why you say what you do, you should. Hey you are a salesman.

I have scientific proof of my findings, statements, and experience. Also showing people how to buy the product at cost. How does that benefit me? I do it for the love of cars, and the best interests of others.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
IMO, if the Ford Racing filter had the same media as th Royal Purple/Amsoil it would be the best filter out there. If it had a grippy coating like a Putorlator or Fram it would be basically unbeatable.

That I can agree with. Nano-fiber media is awesome. Ford Racing's can is strong, and has the bypass on threaded end. Using a lubricant that never creates sludge will negate a bias on bypass placement though.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
still waiting on Lambeau's response.

- Hey you're the one that took a shot at me and ME32. :nonono:

- You and unleashedbeast got butt hurt because ME32 and I posted preference for motorcraft oil filters.

- Grow-up and stay on topic.

- I stated facts from nearly 40 years of 300+ successful oil changes over 900,000 miles with ZERO PROBLEMS. You don't like it, too bad, now STFU.

Back to "Best Oil Filters for a 5.0"...

5.0Flareside

Established Member
no.. no butthurt.. just pointing out your wrong and saying the BEST oil filter is a royal purple or Amsoil filter.

I'm pretty sure me and UB both killed all of your "experience" remarks.

Users who are viewing this thread