Best oil for 2012 gt500

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Royal purple is shit oil. That is not speculation. I have seen the oil lab results.

I have been using royal purple in my service van for the last 120 000 kms. It now has 435 000 kms on it. I have taken the oil to 20 000 kms before changing it and it was down ONLY one quart and barely dark. It is a consistent oil that runs noticeably smoother in my work van(that takes a beating all four seasons from 35 c down to minus 30 c starts). And now it makes a noticeable difference in my Shelby. It may not be the best oil but its the first oil that I have noticed a difference in more than one vehicle. After so many oils running through my car, RP has made it run best ie; diff is quieter than my fathers Acura (no noise/whine what so ever) not to many Shelby owners can say that. Proof is in the pudding and my pudding has never tasted better.:burnout:

One of the RP results in the oil thread that was mentioned earlier was mine. I would definitely not use it again.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I am under warranty as you are too so I went with 5-50 castrol edge syn from autozone. It was in stock to. Just change every 3000 before it shears.
Castrol Edge since '13 has changed and is not up to spec. I am under warranty as well, do NOT put that in your motor if you are worried about warranty. EDGE formula changed and no longer meets the specs the GT-500 motor requires. RP also does not have an oil for the 5.4l, nor does Amsoil. Stick to the MC from Ford.....only way to be safe. Only two are Red-Line & MC from Ford.

P.S. Yeah you can run a 10w40 Amsoil (hell it prob is better than the stock weight due to shearing), but lets see what Ford says about that if you have a problem as you are running an entirely diff weight oil. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Shifty (and everyone else),
I use Redline, but it is NOT approved by Ford. I quote Redline:

"Popular for 5.4L Supercharged Ford applications like Shelby GT 500 and Ford GT (WSS-M2C931-B)"

It says "popular for", NOT "approved for".

Steve

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Shifty (and everyone else),
I use Redline, but it is NOT approved by Ford. I quote Redline:

"Popular for 5.4L Supercharged Ford applications like Shelby GT 500 and Ford GT (WSS-M2C931-B)"

It says "popular for", NOT "approved for".

Steve
Well, shit. I have 7 quarts of that laying around. It is the only oil I know that is 5w50 and meets the same specs, at least I thought it did, does it not anymore?

nxhappy

Established Member
my car isn't under warranty, so I am not stuck with shitty MC oil. Amsoil FTMFW ! :pepper:

99SSls1

Established Member
Castrol Edge since '13 has changed and is not up to spec. I am under warranty as well, do NOT put that in your motor if you are worried about warranty. EDGE formula changed and no longer meets the specs the GT-500 motor requires. RP also does not have an oil for the 5.4l, nor does Amsoil. Stick to the MC from Ford.....only way to be safe. Only two are Red-Line & MC from Ford.

P.S. Yeah you can run a 10w40 Amsoil (hell it prob is better than the stock weight due to shearing), but lets see what Ford says about that if you have a problem as you are running an entirely diff weight oil. Better safe than sorry.

humm

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member
Info i used to make my choice on using the rated a castrol edge.

"Since Ford specifically said the difference between the "A" and "B" variant was related to environmental emissions control, then it actually tracks. The new "B" variant uses a different additive than the "A" variant (ZF instead of ZDDP) and this article states that dog just don't hunt.

That also track why Castrol simply says don't worry, the "A" variant is just fine for the engine. They say that because it's actually better for the engine (even if it's not as good for the cats).

The article also refers to the extended life of the oil. Keep in mind those german guys go lots more miles between oil changes (15,000, I think). I change my oil at 3,000, so that's not really too scary to me.

So, it makes sense. Ford has to recommend the "B" variant due to EPA regs, but that does not mean the oil is any better. In fact, according to this article, it's worse. In fact, the article is recommending oil specs from the mid-90's as having the best long term protection."

heatsoaked12

Established Member
One of the RP results in the oil thread that was mentioned earlier was mine. I would definitely not use it again.

Could you let me know which part of the lab results were poor and perhaps a small explanation? I am curious but don't understand what those charts really explain.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Red Line 5-50w here. Seems to be up near the top in most reports over the last few years.

I have 7qts of that next to me, and I haven't put it in as the oil results I read and what others said claimed it was "meh" and not really a good oil (almost worse than MC 5w50). I'm under warranty so have not put it in, but by all means anyone if I am wrong correct me, I just recall being shown Red-Line really isn't that good at all, and Royal Purple = stay away from.

Having said that draining my FJ TRD Cruiser w\ 5-6k on RP 5w30, the oil was like new...by that I mean, purple still and pretty clear. So really I dunno what to say about RP, it sure retains the purple color, looked fine. Just know on here a lot have done tests which say DO NOT use it. Bobistheoilguy forum has a ton of tests and I don't think RP did very well there either as well, though now looking at it RP is raved about due to how clean it leaves the engine....so really I have no clue now.

I think the reason a lot of people don't like RP Is because Royal Purple does not fully "list" what additives\etc is in their oil.

Last edited:

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Could you let me know which part of the lab results were poor and perhaps a small explanation? I am curious but don't understand what those charts really explain.

My result was line 82 on the spreadsheet. Here is the text of a PM I got from Unleashedbeast about the RP oil.

RP 5W-30 isn't showing a good turn out in your GT500 at all. Lead PPM is excessively high, definitely due to bearing wear. The lubricant is not adequate to protect your engine.

I'd refrain from using it again. Here is what you should use. Direct links included.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Red Line 5-50w here. Seems to be up near the top in most reports over the last few years.

Redline doesn't show good lab results either, it doesn't shear at all which creates constantly high oil presuure plus it has abnormally high counts on another I can't remember, UB will chime in I'm sure.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Haha. That video is too funny.

I run the MC 5w50 full syn that's recommended with a ford racing filter. Seems the be fine. Honestly, how many oil related failures have you read about on here?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member

I run the MC 5w50 full syn that's recommended with a ford racing filter. Seems the be fine. Honestly, how many oil related failures have you read about on here?

There was one recently and Ford wouldn't warranty it because he didn't use the recommended Motorcraft oil. True story!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member

Lol at that video, it's not about you having a motor failure but the longevity of it. At 100k plus miles I guarantee a tore down motor using amsoil will show much less wear than motorcrap oil will. We are all trying to use the "best" products for our cars which is why these questions are asked. To me if your going to beat the piss out of the car for 25k and then trade it in the oil choice probably really won't matter. For me I'll have his car long after it's paid off so it's an important choice. There is some types of royal purple that are good but it's not my oil of choice and I haven't tested them but other guys will chime in with their succes on certain types.

barspen

Established Member
Ordered a Blackstone kit today and put in RP 5w-40, which I don't see on the chart. Taking it to the track in about a month, so I will have about 2 months of DD miles and a 4x20min track sessions. I'll report back in Dec.

Users who are viewing this thread