Best oil for 2012 gt500

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
It's time for my first oil change on my 2012 gt500. I bought it used recently, and It has just over 18k miles. I couldn't find any 5w-50 oil at Walmart. I don't track the car. And it's not a daily driver.

What's the best oil, or what oil do you all use for your 2012?

TVS VERT

Established Member
Youll get 50 different answers for this.....but i always ran Rotella T6 Full Syn in all my cobras and continue to run it in my shelby.....All cars have ran flawless and havent been driven easy.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yes, TFM says to use 5w-50. But I also read that weight oil may cause shearing problems. That's why I wanted the help of those here who have experience.

The simple fact is that nobody tests more or has the engineering expertise that Ford has. For your described usage, go with what Ford recommends.

Genuine Ford Fluid XO-5W50-QGT SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Last edited:

Teddy O

Established Member
It's time for my first oil change on my 2012 gt500. I bought it used recently, and It has just over 18k miles. I couldn't find any 5w-50 oil at Walmart. I don't track the car. And it's not a daily driver.

What's the best oil, or what oil do you all use for your 2012?

Wow, did this guy open a can of worms...

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
The only 5w-50 I could find was the Castrol Edge. So that's what I bought. $9.19 a quart. Yikes! At that price, I'm not changing my oil again until another 25k miles.:p

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
let me take my $50,000 car to walmart to find the oil i need, if walmart doesnt have it, it must not be good for my car

I actually took my $15,000 truck to Walmart to get oil for my Shelby. I refuse to drive the Shelby to Walmart. Too many morons in the parking lot. And FYI, it was a $42,000 car. I would've gotten a 2013 for $50k. :D

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I've had good success/oil reports with amsoil 10w30 signature series. Only change it once a year just before winter with their filter too.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
amsoil or mobil 1 both test very well and provide maximum protection. You can run 10w40 no problem. The 5w50 is a joke anyway, the oil shears and degrades quickly to a 30 weight.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Just letting you know what I run in my car (12 perf pack 9000kms on it) 5w40 Royal purple with the ford racing oil filter. All the others (factory fill,amsoil 10 40 with amsoil filter, royal purple 10 40 w/ royal purple filter) made for a a small knocking /ticking sound from my engine passenger side. Always made me nervous and now it runs quieter than ever.As stated in other posts, I pop my hood and listen to the engine every time before shut down.

nxhappy

Established Member
Just letting you know what I run in my car (12 perf pack 9000kms on it) 5w40 Royal purple with the ford racing oil filter. All the others (factory fill,amsoil 10 40 with amsoil filter, royal purple 10 40 w/ royal purple filter) made for a a small knocking /ticking sound from my engine passenger side. Always made me nervous and now it runs quieter than ever.As stated in other posts, I pop my hood and listen to the engine every time before shut down.

Royal purple is shit oil. That is not speculation. I have seen the oil lab results.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Royal purple is shit oil. That is not speculation. I have seen the oil lab results.

I have been using royal purple in my service van for the last 120 000 kms. It now has 435 000 kms on it. I have taken the oil to 20 000 kms before changing it and it was down ONLY one quart and barely dark. It is a consistent oil that runs noticeably smoother in my work van(that takes a beating all four seasons from 35 c down to minus 30 c starts). And now it makes a noticeable difference in my Shelby. It may not be the best oil but its the first oil that I have noticed a difference in more than one vehicle. After so many oils running through my car, RP has made it run best ie; diff is quieter than my fathers Acura (no noise/whine what so ever) not to many Shelby owners can say that. Proof is in the pudding and my pudding has never tasted better.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread