Best oil weight Engine/Tranny/Diff?

beef97

Established Member
I've seen much debating on various opinions about which weight oil to use in the engine, mainly 5w20 vs. 5w30 (or 10w30). I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with different weight oils in the tranny and diff? 75w140 seems kinda heavy to use in the rear? I plan on adding either a girdle or the Boss (aluminum finned) cover for the rear and wondered if those would have an impact as to what weight oil could be used in the rear. I will be using Amsoil full synthetic in all 3 but wanted to know the best weight possible. Thanks to any that respond!

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Last edited:

beef97

Established Member
Yeah that's what I am leaning towards as well. Have you changed yours in the tranny or diff yet? Amsoil does make a 75w110 for the rear and thought this might be another option.

Last edited:

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w30 except for in winter months, then 5w30. Redline MTL or RP 75w90 gear oil for the tranny. RP 75w140 for the rear end. I'm sure Amsoil makes fluids to match all this. Just my choices in terms of weights and brands.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Yeah that's what I am leaning towards as well. Have you changed yours in the tranny or diff yet? Amsoil does make a 75w110 for the rear and thought this might be another option.

No but I'll be putting on a girdle and changing the rear end then. Probably going with the 80/140 Amsoil

beef97

Established Member
Now I'm reading about Ford wanting us to use Motorcraft dual clutch transmission fluid? Isn't this a much thinner version than the 75w90? Anyone tried it? I guess Amsoil's Synchromesh would be the equivalent of that?

wbt

Banned
Engine - 5w-20 & 10w-30
Trans - 75w-90
Rear - 75w-90 & 75w-140

There are the weights I have used.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Now I'm reading about Ford wanting us to use Motorcraft dual clutch transmission fluid? Isn't this a much thinner version than the 75w90? Anyone tried it? I guess Amsoil's Synchromesh would be the equivalent of that?

There's a TSB out saying Ford will switch your tranny fluid to the dual clutch fluid. It's shit. Use something else like we have mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread