Best option for '15-16 Automatic...

slingshot

Established Member
Am seriously looking at buying a 2015-16 Mustang GT Premium with an A6 tranny and supercharging it. Do have a few questions for the learned.
  1. How much power can the stock long-block handle? I'm thinking 600-650 rwhp with a good tune...
  2. How much power can the stock 6 speed automatic handle? I have no idea...
  3. Am leaning towards a PD blower... Whipple 2.9? FRPP or Roush TVS? VMP TVS? Kenne Bell? What are advantages and disadvantages of each?
  4. At the least suspect I'll need bigger injectors, throttle body (which one?), CAI (same ?), BAP (is that enough? Do I need more fuel system upgrades?) and exhaust (headers or just catback?).
  5. Suspension and rear end mods to handle expected power level? Car will be 90%+ street driven daily driver with occasional trip to the strip...
My requirements are--street driven, daily dependability, weekly 250 mile business trip when weather is good, decent gas mileage... maybe I'm looking for too much?

Last edited:

BoostedToy

Established Member
I am curious as to #2 myself.

As to #3, I will be looking for a blower at some point (likely around April 2016). I've owned each TVS (roots), KB and Whipple in the past. Other than maybe not producing max hp at high rpm and boost (relative to a comparible centrifugal or screw), I could not find a single fault with the TVS. Combined, I've put over 100k on two TVS's with zero reliability issues from either the blower or the car. I can't say the same thing for turbo, centri or screws I've owned. That said, I may be looking to a Novi 2200. That seems to be a very productive (and inexpensive setup on these coyotes).

BoostedToy

Established Member
Oh, and with the TVS I installed on a G8 GT I had a while back, I averaged .5mpg higher on the same trips (with no loading/boost) than pre-blower. That said, overall my mpg decreased as I was in the gas just as much as before, but consuming a lot more fuel while doing so during those pulls.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

This is just my personal opinion based on results from several cars (first hand)

For minimal modification, bang for the buck and bang for the effort will usually go to the TVS.

You do not need to do a stall converter to get them to work efficiently. You do not need a 2-step, or trans brake. You put the TVS on, and go about your business with a very effective power level. The low end and TQ is very impressive.

I have a VMP TVS on my 2015, fwiw.

Last edited:

BoostedToy

Established Member
What is the realistic power handling of the automatic? I've seen where Hellion pumped over 1100rwhp / 8 sec 1/4 mile through theirs (stock with an altered transmission tune). That is astounding. That said, who knows how long it will live. The fact it can live at all at that level is amazing to me.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I know I'm biased but you can't go wrong with a VMP TVS kit. I have a Stage 3 kit with a full kooks exhaust and a 79mm pulley, went 10.8's at 134mph on 20" wheels, with cats, on 93 pump gas. Zero problems with the install, excellent tune from Lund, 625/535, drives like stock. I average 20+mpg on the hwy, 15-17mpg around town. It's the total package, guaranteed sure thing.

josephcostello

Established Member
Semi-Answer to #1...my friend recently through a 2.9 kb on his 2015 with only about 1,200 miles. I do not know a whole about the new 5.0s as I should because my dad picked one up to but I do know that he made 598 at the wheels with the stock pulley kb sent him and on 9 lbs i believe, he also daily drives it. And he does have plans for mid 650 to the wheels with different tune/injector/pulliesI think the motors are good for about 1,000...don't have a clue on the trans...hope this helped.

slingshot

Established Member
I know I'm biased but you can't go wrong with a VMP TVS kit. I have a Stage 3 kit with a full kooks exhaust and a 79mm pulley, went 10.8's at 134mph on 20" wheels, with cats, on 93 pump gas. Zero problems with the install, excellent tune from Lund, 625/535, drives like stock. I average 20+mpg on the hwy, 15-17mpg around town. It's the total package, guaranteed sure thing.
Think I remember talking to you on the Corvette Forum... didn't you have a gorgeous Blue '08 Z06? I had a Red '08 Z06. Anyway, what boost level are you running to put down those #'s?
All the info ya'll can give is helpful, keep it coming!

Last edited:

PowerAdderGT

Established Member
1. Many living at over 800rwhp, I think you are safe in 650rwhp range.
2. I have heard of one starting to slip at over 900rwhp and heavy track use, I don't think you need any upgrades to live a long life at 650rwhp but input shaft and clutches upgrade are an option.
3. My personal choice would be VMP TVS or Whipple' either will make 650rwhp easily.
4. Both VMP or Whipple kits will come with everything you need, injectors, TB, boost a pump, etc. No exhaust mods required for the power you want.
5. Only mod I would do for sure if it was me would be a driveshaft and safety loop.

1crazymach

Established Member
Depends on your goals. I ordered a 2016 GTPP and just place an order for the Roush 670 kit. I wanted a extended warranty and it seemed like Roush works with Ford real good. I'm having it installed at my dealer and paying the $995 for extended coverage up to 3 year 36,000 parts and labor & $10,500 covers engine transmission drive line drive shafts the whole works you can read in detail in Roush's website. 600-610RWHP on a super safe tune that can run high 10's low 11's is plenty for me

slingshot

Established Member
Depends on your goals. I ordered a 2016 GTPP and just place an order for the Roush 670 kit. I wanted a extended warranty and it seemed like Roush works with Ford real good. I'm having it installed at my dealer and paying the $995 for extended coverage up to 3 year 36,000 parts and labor & $10,500 covers engine transmission drive line drive shafts the whole works you can read in detail in Roush's website. 600-610RWHP on a super safe tune that can run high 10's low 11's is plenty for me
But do they have that for the automatic?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
We just ran a 10.1 @ 138 on a muggy FL night on our 2015 auto with a VMP Stage 3 kit. MINIMAL suspension mods. Short drag radials. FULL weight.

A cool day/night can see 9's.

bj

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
VMP TVS or Whipple, You also have one of the best tuners in the country about 5 hours of East of you. (Check my sig) If you want to spend a little more money and want to have more room to grow, Hellion Twins. You can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We're at 650-700rwhp on our auto VMP TVS car at 7500rpm. These 15 motors are better, but I would still not go crazy. The trans does very well in that power range.

Our 15 kits feature 56lb/hr injectors and we will roll that feature into our 11-14 kits as well. The Stage 3 kits come with ID1000s.

I'm from Florida, where its hot as well, so our stage 2 and 3 kits come with our tripple pass heat exchanger with fans, standard.

VMP Heat Exchanger - Complete Kit 4web.jpg
VMP Heat Exchanger with arrows 4web.jpg

BoostedToy

Established Member
How much rwhp in these 15'-16's with a TVS does it take to get these cars to a 130 mph trap?

The VMP kit looks very well put together.

Users who are viewing this thread