Best rear diff fluid on my 98 cobra?

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
What is the best rear diff fluid to go with.everone is tellin me royal purple 75w140 but I know ford recommends 80w90.what do you guys suggest?I have a 98 cobra stock rear end no gears

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
What is the best rear diff fluid to go with.everone is tellin me royal purple 75w140 but I know ford recommends 80w90.what do you guys suggest?I have a 98 cobra stock rear end no gears

I don't like royal purple for rear diff fluid. I bought Amsoil 75-110 and I've heard great great things about it from other people all over the net. I have been very happy with it so far. Mixed it with Motorcraft friction modifier and was good to go.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I've never been a big fan of the royal purple products. However, +1 on Amsoil products. I used Amsoil and the ford friction modifier (you can get gear oil with the addative already mixed with it) but just for added protection I did it anyway.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Mopar Synthetic 75W140 and Ford FM in mine. Its either Mobil or Shell/QS/Pennzoil or another company that supplies Mopar with their fluids.

Any synthetic 75W140 with friction modifier will work good.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Pretty sure its Shell. Mopar is a middle of the road fluid. I wouldn't use it.

Royal Purple is the most unstable gear oil you can buy. Even worse than Lucas. Both have been shown to lose 35%+ of their viscosity after shear testing.

Amsoil and Redline sheared only 3-5% in the same test.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Pretty sure its Shell. Mopar is a middle of the road fluid. I wouldn't use it.

Royal Purple is the most unstable gear oil you can buy. Even worse than Lucas. Both have been shown to lose 35%+ of their viscosity after shear testing.

Amsoil and Redline sheared only 3-5% in the same test.

The Mopar branded stuff was free, I cant complain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread