Best sounding exhaust?

max13shady

Established Member
Hey everyone right now I have a full catted flowmaster exhaust setup w/xpipe... I'm not happy with it.. I want something more aggressive sounding.. the louder the better but not overboard.... let me know yalls recommendations.. must have cats!!! 03 cobra
IMG_20180408_021851_235.jpg

- Maxwell

wckdvnm

Established Member
Get two different mid pipes, one catted one not. I run a Mac H pipe with the “quiet” magnaflow mufflers. Sounds deep and really good. Before that I had stingers and the H and it was about 100x louder than my X I had prior. Just too deafening.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running 3" magnaflow exhaust. I don't think they make it any more though. I am also running MAC long tubes with a MAC chambered mid pipe. Its very loud and aggressive. It's a straight thru muffler, non chambered. Looks more like a resonator.

Edit: Magnapacks are what's on my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Catted x-pipe with Magnapacks. Plenty loud and aggressive without scrambling your brains and with very little drown while cruising.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
As @GodStang said this is totally subjective and something many of us change every so often.

I'm running a MRT catted H-pipe into a magnaflow exhaust but I'm switching out the stock mufflers for magnapacks for something a bit more aggressive.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is something that is 100% opinion based. Except Flowmasters... Flowmasters are the worse on Mod motors. Go to youtube and listen to some videos. What one person may love the next may hate.
Listen to Josh's excellent advice. If you could find some local Cobra owners who would let you listen to their setups, that would be perfect. YouTube videos, and there are tons of them, would be your next option. IMO you should never buy an exhaust setup based on someone else's opinion/liking. Exhaust setups are very personal.

When you're listening to videos, find both X-pipe and H-pipe examples, because they sound different. Some like the X sound, others like the H sound.

Rambro

Established Member
This is something that is 100% opinion based. Except Flowmasters... Flowmasters are the worse on Mod motors. Go to youtube and listen to some videos. What one person may love the next may hate.
Wow I hear it the exact opposite. An H pipe/flowmaster combo sounds great. I have ORH into a magnaflow cat back with super 44's. If you dont want that raspy trumpet sound to your exhaust go with what I have. You wont be disappointed.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I had Flows, didn't care for them. I now have stingers with a OR prochamber that sounds amazing, but OP needs cats.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Will high flow cats meet emissions? I’ve never used them before, so does anyone have experience with them?

On a side note: M55 exhaust is one of the best sounding exhaust systems I’ve ever heard on a Cobra myself......... Too bad they don’t make it anymore.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Will high flow cats meet emissions? I’ve never used them before, so does anyone have experience with them?

On a side note: M55 exhaust is one of the best sounding exhaust systems I’ve ever heard on a Cobra myself......... Too bad they don’t make it anymore.

My catted MRT H-Pipe passes and I live in commie NY.

cj428mach

Established Member
I went from Magnaflow to Borla Stingers. I have to say I love the Stingers but they're loud. I'm thinking about trying to add a Prochamber once I go headers.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Magnaflow catted X and Stingers or a Bassani catted X and Stingers. I’ve complemented going with a pro chamber but people have said it would be whiter than my Magnaflow catted x and Stingers.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
As others have already stated, exhaust note is so subjective it's hard to even give opinion. Some identical exhaust systems will be louder (or quieter) depending on other mods to engine. The last car I 'built' I went through 5 different exhaust setups before I found one that I really liked.

My advice is to listen to other similar cars with various systems and then pick one. Another clever strategy (buddy of mine uses to great advantage) is to carefully shop Craigslist for used exhaust parts. Then if he doesn't like it, he sells the parts back on Craigslist. He does this and often times he can sell the parts for same price he paid. I get a kick out of his technique.... this way he gets to try lots of components for basically no money.....

SVTCam

Established Member
O/R Prochamber + Bassani catback has been my favorite set up since I can remember.. Pretty quiet when warmed up & idling, but when you hammer into it, she screams.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Everyone has pretty much said it all.

My only advice is go with a catted "H" pipe if you want an aggressive tone. "X" pipes might perform better with Cobra motors due to it's design, but they sound raspy to me and I F'ing hate that sound.

The muffler will be a personal opinion based on preference/taste. Like everyone said, exhaust is like color, everyone will be different. On the Cobra I like the magnapacks.

On my 65 I have dynomax race bullets. Car sounded like a race car from NASCAR LOL. Nothing like an old school push rod motor and a healthy cam :D!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
On my 65 I have dynomax race bullets. Car sounded like a race car from NASCAR LOL. Nothing like an old school push rod motor and a healthy cam :D!....

LOLOL, I almost blew my speakers out! That fooking thing is LOUD. How do drive around without getting cited by every fooking cop???? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread