Best streetcar design for the salt?

Ponyracer1

Established Member
If you were going to take a factory production streetcar and set it up for the texas mile/Bonneville salt flats type racing what would you start with and why?

Let's keep it "sane", under 100k. Anyone can go fast in a Ford GT or similar.

Goal is to be in the 200mph club (for starters) in something you can reliability drive to the event, make some runs and drive home comfortably with the stereo and A/C blasting. Also this is more of a bucket list deal, something that would be ok in the 1/4 mile, a beast on the street, run 200+, cruise the power tour, etc. No "certed" 10 point cages, unreliable systems etc. More of a "swiss army knife" car.

Not a huge fan since everyone has one but I keep coming back to the C5 Z06 as my buddy had one and it was super comfortable. (I'm 6'4/250) good aero, quality, price etc.

My thoughts:

GTS Viper-twin turbo setup-Several for sale currently completely built for $40-60K
C5 Z06-Can buy them all day long for low $20's, built engine/power adder, $25K-$50K all in ready to race.
C5-Even better because they are cheaper to start with-Aero differences?
C6 Z06-Can buy them pretty well built for $50K-Aero? I've read that they actually slow down at 170 or so due to the downforce created?
Cobra?-I know there is one out there that runs 230 mph but is it the best platform to start with aero wise? Not a cheap car.
New Edge GT-CHEAP to buy and mod, aero wise though?
4th Gen Camaro? I know there are a bunch being used-Cheap to buy-cheaper to build-Good aero wise?

Not so much:
Lotus?-Def has the aero but not the power-Too much $ to make power on the big end.
Gen 5+ Camaro-breadbox aero
Challenger-breadbox aero
Fox body-breadbox aero but CHEAP to buy and CHEAPER to build

Thoughts?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Do you just want to go fast or are you looking to set a record? Going fast is easy. Build a car to the spec of a really high speed in the record books. That way you will never have to tear down. Cheat to your hearts content and just go fast for the hell of it. The tech inspectors will not really care if you are "not entirely accurate" about displacement, nitrous, or power adder. But if you run for a record and qualify then everything will come to light. So if you just want to have fun going fast just build a very safe car and go have fun. Don't forget approved suit, helmet, restraints, and fire suppression.

If it's a record attempt you are after get a copy of the SCTA rule book and look for anything with a soft record.

I was involved with a very knowledgeable builder/racer back in the 70's and he would sometimes be able to set three records during one speed week.

Simply by slight modifications to the car's (or bike"s) body work and engine displacement. In one case he just removed all the left bank pistons, bolted spacers (rods with the beam cut off)
and set another record for a smaller displacement engine.

All by reading the rule book and looking for soft records. And hoping that you were the first guy to notice it. His name was Don Vesco. And he still holds the all time faster motorcycle crash speed record.:coolman:

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Not looking to set any records, just for bragging rights. Hence the "bucket list" focus. Basically don't want to build a car just for high speed work and have it be the only thing it's good at. I figured somewhere around 1000 hp will get me there, figuring turbo will be the best option for the power adder, just wondering about the chassis. I know shape and aero is huge once you top 175.

I figured vette or viper for the aero piece, both are easily modded for big power. Def be looking to buy one modded as the "tax" is ridiculous on both those cars.

Guess I need to do some more reading on downforce and what car works better. Honestly the GTS wins in my book because of the rare factor, but I fit better in the vette.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
kit car? I mean you have companies like Factory 5 that make the GTM and then you have RCR (race car replicas) that make various kits from the GT40 to Porsche 917 le mans car and the Ferrari P4. the initial cost of the kit is a little high, around $40k but when done you will have a car that will perform if built right and unique enough that you won't have one pull next to you at a red light. personally I would prefer a RCR car because their kits are designed to actually be raced but they may use unique specialty parts, compared to the GTM from F5 uses all vette suspension and drivetrain and can be built for the cost of a new vette and still perform well.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
kit car? I mean you have companies like Factory 5 that make the GTM and then you have RCR (race car replicas) that make various kits from the GT40 to Porsche 917 le mans car and the Ferrari P4. the initial cost of the kit is a little high, around $40k but when done you will have a car that will perform if built right and unique enough that you won't have one pull next to you at a red light. personally I would prefer a RCR car because their kits are designed to actually be raced but they may use unique specialty parts, compared to the GTM from F5 uses all vette suspension and drivetrain and can be built for the cost of a new vette and still perform well.

I thought about those and while they are sweet there is no way I can swing that. I'm looking for something I can finance/insure once my Cobra is paid for this summer. Hence why I'm mainly looking at a built viper/vette, buy it for $45k, $15K down, finance $30K for 6yrs at 2.7% through my CU.

So it's either buy something built and have a larger payment or buy a stockish C5 or similar with $0 down and spend the $15k on mods. I've got a pretty well built cobra that I could mod further or turbo but honestly as much as I love the car, it doesn't fit me very well. Ideally I'd get the "perfect" car and trade my cobra for a newer truck/suv for the wife.

Wonder how the '15 stang will do at speed. It's pretty slippery.

Last edited:

prs97

Established Member
I agree with above that a C5 Vette would be the best bang for the buck.

If doing a bunch of fabrication work was in the cards, I would think a FRS/BRZ with an LSx under the hood would be a cool thing to see on the salt.

Should have really good power/weight ratio and the aero should be good. Just need to beef up the suspension & driveline.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Price wise and keeping it under $100K, I'd pick up a hatch Fox-body and add a '93 Cobra body kit. You could easily do a boosted Coyote swap (or whatever), full suspension setup and some sort of cage (full interior setup too) and reliably hit that 200mph mark.

Car Craft did an article a while back and I can't find it anymore. See post #19: http://forums.corral.net/forums/roa...-want-fox-hit-200mph-have-soem-questions.html

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't EsqEddy hit 200+ in a Mustang on the Salt Flats? Or am I thinking of someone else?

chao5.0

Established Member
I thought about those and while they are sweet there is no way I can swing that. I'm looking for something I can finance/insure once my Cobra is paid for this summer. Hence why I'm mainly looking at a built viper/vette, buy it for $45k, $15K down, finance $30K for 6yrs at 2.7% through my CU.

So it's either buy something built and have a larger payment or buy a stockish C5 or similar with $0 down and spend the $15k on mods. I've got a pretty well built cobra that I could mod further or turbo but honestly as much as I love the car, it doesn't fit me very well. Ideally I'd get the "perfect" car and trade my cobra for a newer truck/suv for the wife.

Wonder how the '15 stang will do at speed. It's pretty slippery.

you can get a kit for $20k and start from there, I mean that is what the deluxe kits from F5 go for. your cobra could run the salt if you take the proper precautions, I mean there is a guy that runs a cobra in the standing mile competition and has gone over 200mph at that event. I've never ran on the salt so I have no experience doing so but your car can do it, just a question of do you want to use it to do so.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Those 80's style Firebird's are supposedly very aerodynamic and I'm sure cheap as hell to buy.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
C5.

Pretty sure the C6 has a lower drag coefficient but a quick search is showing a price difference of $6,000 or so between somewhat like cars.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Those 80's style Firebird's are supposedly very aerodynamic and I'm sure cheap as hell to buy.

I was going to say this as well. Better Bonneville heritage than any other car mentioned.

Power can be built by just about anyone. Good (AND stable) aero is not something your average guy can create or afford. The 3rd gen Firebird is the exception. They'll go well over 300mph on the factory sheet metal. They're cheap and readily accept an LS powerplant. You can build complete turn-key car that meets your criteria for just the cost of a stock example of any of your listed possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread