Best Supercharger on 93 Cobra?

1993 Mustang

Established Member
Any feedback on the best supercharger on the 93 cobra? I always here about Vortech and Procharger, but what about Kenne-Bell?

SvtCobra1808

Established Member
good question, i have wondered the same thing. I have my Cobra set up for boost and have been thinkin about which supercharger would be the best. I like the look of the kennebell's but want the best performance also.

Michael

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
That's about like asking what is the best muffler for your car. Everyone will have different taste and no one person is really wrong. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I have had cars with Vortech, Kenne Bell, and ProCharger.

The Kenne Bell will make more low end boost and has a better torque curve. The boost builds quick and dies off at higher rpms.

The centrifical s/c build boost with rpm and do not generally hit high boost until high rpms. So they have a little lag but have a very good top end pull.

I like the Vortech layout over the Procharger. The Vortech is easier to install to me than the Procharger which requires battery reloacation plus the tubes and intercooler being snaked through the bumper cover. Also some people have issues with getting the tune right on a blow through design (which is what a Procharger is)

I have heard good things about the Paxton Novi systems but have yet to own one.

racerbox77

Established Member
Well Ive always liked the Procharger idea being intercooled. But, I have a SQ trim Vortech with a power pipe. It gets 11 psi at the top of the RPM range. The car is basically stock except for exhaust and fuel. Im running 11.40s at 121 mph. This is with a stock long block and 3400 lbs. with me in it. My friend has a Kennebell on his 92 LX automatic. He has the same mods except his a convertable and an auto. It weighs 100 lbs. more and runs a full second slower, and 10 mph slower. His blower is not the Blow Zilla its the stage 1, but it does get 11psi by 3000 rpm.

~Ray~

Established Member
No not yet, I posted pictures of some of my other Fox bodied Mustangs with Keen Bells in the Kenne Bell section under Post your Pictues thread there.

SvtCobra1808

Established Member
Can some of you guys with kennebells post the times you have run. Also, those of you that have non-intercooled superchargers, have you tried the snowperformance kits, if so how do they work? Thanks in advance

Michael

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
I've run a Paxton SN-92 for about 10 years. 8lbs of boost. No troubles what so ever (MSD boost itming master to keep the detenation under control). I love it. It's nice and quite with a 747 like whistle above 2,500 rpms. Power doesn't come on until the rpm's also, nice and smooth controllable power which means it drives just like it did from the factory with the same gas mileage too until you drop your foot in it.

I guess it depends on what you want....balls to the wall "hey look at me" street ripper or a smooth strong fast "sleeper-like" hot rod. It spins it way down the quarter mile on street tires at about 13 seconds flat. Good tires will drop that dramatically.

I like the stock look and most of the Chevy guys that I leave in the dust don't know what hit them...after all, most of 'em think it's just a Mustang GT anyway...LOL!

blown...

Last edited:

usmclightning

Established Member
Kenne Bell?

I had a Kenne Bell on my other Cobra. A week later when I sold it. The guy I sold it to blew the motor. The motor was all stock. The Just by bolting the Kenne Bell on with 11 lbs of boost the car went 11.9 on Nittos. I couldn't believe how hard it would pull. If you go with the Kenne Bell build up your motor first!

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Make sure you set up your engine for boost. Ditch the GT40 iron heads. They have a very thin deck and are prone to lifting or blowing head gaskets. I blew my 2nd head gasket in 6 months last week and will be buying some different heads. Now I know that there will be comments about tune and boost levels. My car runs just 6 pounds of boost and is tuned with a very conservative a/f ratio. It is just time for some AFRs!

~Ray~

Established Member
hollant said:
Make sure you set up your engine for boost. Ditch the GT40 iron heads. They have a very thin deck and are prone to lifting or blowing head gaskets. I blew my 2nd head gasket in 6 months last week and will be buying some different heads. Now I know that there will be comments about tune and boost levels. My car runs just 6 pounds of boost and is tuned with a very conservative a/f ratio. It is just time for some AFRs!

I wouldn't say all of that, if your going to remove the heads though it would be a good idea to put some Felpro 9333pt-1 gaskets & some arp studs & torque em down about 20lbs more than NA.

93BlkCbra

Established Member
I've got a 2.2 w/ flowzilla on mine. I haven't taken it to the track, but the
street performance is incredible. There is a slight whine/whistle at idle, but
when you get into it, it makes music. Through the mid-rpms it sounds like a
big block with a front-mounted venturi; then at higher rpms, it screams.
There are two considerations.
1. Traction - You won't have any.
2. Heat - There's no I/C for the 5.0; so run a Meth/Water Inj set up, or
keep it tame and run a little of the good stuff when it gets hot outside.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
hollant said:

I ran 490+hp for 2 yrs with no problems with these heads, but I had them O-ringed and had Fel-Pro gaskets. Not too mention back in 95' Dynotuning was not really that big.

Users who are viewing this thread