Best tensioner???

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I just purchased a Reichard racing belt tensioner and dont like that you have to modify the bracket to mount it. Id like to know whats the best tensioner to buy for 03-04 cobras?

Also whats the stock tensioner hp rated for?

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, the only ones are the RR and Thump. Not sure if its a HP rated thing vs. a simplicity thing. IMO, the manual tensioner is a nice addition for a modded car to make belt/pulley changes go faster.
I have the RR and its much easier to get to vs. the stocker.
Just my .02

And the adjustment to the bridge is minimal!

Last edited:

'03snkbt

Established Member
If you compair, they're both almost identical. I just like using as many parts I can from the same manufacturer....RR upper pullies....belt grip!

Last edited:

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
It's very easy to mod the pulley bridge to get the Reichard racing tensioner to fit, it's a great tensioner I wouldn't let that stop you from using it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Reichard Racing and Thump are the two most popular tensioners, and the only two I would recommend. Thump might have better customer service right now because Jim Reichard has been heavily focused on government projects (last I heard) and isn't as available to answer email/phone questions. The designs are a bit different and the Thump doesn't require any modification. The Thump also carries a lifetime warranty. Either one will do a much better job than the stocker.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
It's very easy to mod the pulley bridge to get the Reichard racing tensioner to fit, it's a great tensioner I wouldn't let that stop you from using it.

Im gonna pull the braket off tonight and give it a whack. Literally

Anyone have any pictures of there RR tensioner installed?

'03snkbt

Established Member
Im gonna pull the braket off tonight and give it a whack. Literally

Anyone have any pictures of there RR tensioner installed?

i'll text them to you when i get home!!

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
at what hp or point do you need a Upgraded one?

Depends on alot of factors. How old the bearings are, maintenance and so on. I bought a new one after my car hit 100k miles and the bearings were squeaking. So like stated by 03snkbt its more of a piece of mind because the bearings can go out and the tensioner arm can brake.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
so, you dont need a upgraded one you can just get a new OEM one, but at the price of the OEM, if still available, you might as well buy the Upgraded one.. I asked cause i am at 19 lbs and dont SEEM to have any belt slip... but this thread is more of a PM/ high mileage thing than performance.. correct?

Users who are viewing this thread