Best tuner in the south for moded 03 cobra?

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
I just got my first cobra about a week ago. Its already moded with a kb 2.2 and several other parts. The prevous owner said it was dynoed by Pro Dyno bt Dan and it made 612 rwhp. I however did not get the dyno sheet when I bought the car. I would like to take it to the best shop around my area for a dyno run and to check the air/fuel ratio. If anything is not 100% I def want to fix it, but I dont want someone to take advantage of me either! I am in Anderson SC and I am aware of ATS thats here in my home town, just want to get some responses on how things went before and after you had your car/cars tuned with the shop you use. Thanks in advance Chris-

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Does the car have a wideband? 612 is pretty stout I doubt the tune is crap but doing some datalogging will help answer that, I would refuse to pay a shop for a custom tune if it isn't necessary and trust me lots of scamming shops in this country will say your current tune file "IS CRAP" and a whole new fresh one needs to be written at a cost of $500! Get my drift? Pay for a few dyno pulls, have the shop log with their software and you too with a hand held and post the results here..

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
But I will admit Dan at pro dyno is a awesome guy to deal with hands down! But his twin screw tuning price is $500 versus Caleb at $250, both the same distance away from my house, so of course I went with the no brainer!

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
^^ that's why I said the tune most likely is Very Good as it sits, just verify with some logs..:rockon:

Correct you are! I'd bet to say it is safe as well. Just a f.y.i. OP, Dan is having a dyno day/car show the last Saturday this month so take your car there and throw it on the dyno to check the air/fuel for 60$, its a win/win.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Chris, I don't think you are going to find a better Cobra tuner in your back yard than Rick@ATS. I would kill to be that close!! Hell, we are flying him out here in April to hook us Seattle dudes up and we wouldn't pay that coin for just anyone! Good luck and it sounds like the car is strong!

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
OP
Congrats on your new ride.

Since you are right here in Anderson stop over and talk to Rick. It is hard to find any other tuner who has tuned as many 03/04 Cobras as Rick has. He was one of the very first tuners to work with the vehicles back in 2002. He has literally tuned thousands of them.And he is right here in your back yard.

We have a Cobra here right now down from TN.The guys are going to be hanging out for a few more days so if you get a chance stop over and get to meet them.
I agree,for your own peice of mind get the tune checked by someone who really knows these vehicles.

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
There are more then a few down here in the south.

Fastlane in NC
Bob Kurgan in GA
Unique Tuning in SC
Amazon in SC

My advice would be to either call or e-mail the respective shops and get a feel for the tuner tell him what you wanna do. Ill admit it is really nice having a shop close by BUT also one of the worst things is having a shitty tune no matter how close the shop is. Just take your time dont rush in to anything. Also if it comes down to a shop wanting to sell you a whole new dynotune then Id get a 2nd opinion just to be on the safe side. There are a few ppl on this site that can and will look at it and help you out man.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
He doesn't need a tuner, he just needs to get HIS TUNE checked on the dyno. You can have the closest shop to you do a dyno pull for you and see what parameters your current tune is sitting at. If all is well you'll just pay the dyno time and go home. If they tell you something isn't right, post the graphs with their comments on here to see if folks with more knowledge than you on these cars agree BEFORE you pay any money for a re-tune for your own piece of mind to avoid someone making you pay for something you might not think you need.

Rick and Linn have always been wonderful people to talk to, so I think you're in good hands to have Rick do a few pulls to see if your tune is safe or not.

Zacharyx

Established Member
But I will admit Dan at pro dyno is a awesome guy to deal with hands down! But his twin screw tuning price is $500 versus Caleb at $250, both the same distance away from my house, so of course I went with the no brainer!

Last I spoke with Dan it was

Bolt on NA cars, Factory power adder cars $350 ( even upgraded blowers)

non factory FI $500 ( roush and saleen fall in here since they start as GTs)

I have dealt with cars tuned by Dan@pro-dyno, Caleb@Fasltane and Mike@Unique and have seen nothing to make me choose one over the other execpt personal preference, Unique is closer and I have dealt with Dan longer

Last edited:

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
Last I spoke with Dan it was

Bolt on NA cars, Factory power adder cars $350 ( even upgraded blowers)

non factory FI $500 ( roush and saleen fall in here since they start as GTs)

I have dealt with cars tuned by Dan@pro-dyno, Caleb@Fasltane and Mike@Unique and have seen nothing to make me choose one over the other execpt personal preference, Unique is closer and I have dealt with Dan longer

Eaton tuning is 250$ twin screw tuning is 500$ (the first initial time), then 250$ anytime after that on the twin screw car. This is the reason I went with Caleb.

woodrow5.0

Established Member
kurgan did my brothers cobra and it is awesome,i highly recommend him since your not too far away

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
Update update
took the car to ats and the tune was a little off but i seem to believe this is due to some parts being removed . Car only dynoed 507rwhp car is running out of fuel at around 5600rpm. The fuel rail is only seeing 23psi at 5600-5700.
Here is what im thinking, the car prob made the 600+ hp at some time but has since had parts removed. The boost a pump in the trunk was not hooked up, not sure of what pumps are in the car i will have to pull the tank to verify. The percentage adjuster for the boost a pump, ordering a new one and a wideband.
Rick had to pull timing away at the rpm were fuel psi was low. So it made 507 rwhp at 5750 or so.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It would have been NICE for the seller to disclose this fuel system issue upon sale. Bap not hooked up and you don't even know what pumps are currently in the tank? Not good!

va boy

Established Member
Update update
took the car to ats and the tune was a little off but i seem to believe this is due to some parts being removed . Car only dynoed 507rwhp car is running out of fuel at around 5600rpm. The fuel rail is only seeing 23psi at 5600-5700.
Here is what im thinking, the car prob made the 600+ hp at some time but has since had parts removed. The boost a pump in the trunk was not hooked up, not sure of what pumps are in the car i will have to pull the tank to verify. The percentage adjuster for the boost a pump, ordering a new one and a wideband.
Rick had to pull timing away at the rpm were fuel psi was low. So it made 507 rwhp at 5750 or so.

Good thing you went with your gut and checked it. Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Unreal the seller didn't tell you about the BAP not being wired up?

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
I put a wideband in on thursday, reads alittle funky tho. idles at 13.8ish to 15.2ish, under load in boost it seems lean to me ( just going on what Rick said value wise on the dyno ) shows 12.2ish to 13.6ish , but have yet to full boost it. weather has sucked around here today. but a boost a pump is def the next purchase,,,,,,, if anyone has one for sale let me know. Thanks guys for all the comments

Users who are viewing this thread