Best Vehicle To Learn Stick On (Need Help)

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Any of those cars you listed for 1K bucks or so will work. I think if you test drive them all and pick from the hardest one to drive you would benefit.

It's only 1,000 bucks. So who cares if she breaks anything. Easy to resell a vehicle that is at the end of its depreciation life. People buy polished turds all the time.

Just clean it up real good before you sell it and you might even make a few hundred off it.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
F150 with a stick. You can almost just let out on the clutch. I learned in a 94 Chevy crew cab diesel duelly with a flat bed.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Torque makes it easy to learn a clutch. Find a POS with a mechanical clutch and no torque. If she can learn that she will be able to drive anything with a stick.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Never drove a stick in my life until I bought a 85 GT when I was 17. My dad drove it home, and then I learned from there. I had never driven anything faster than a Lumina prior to that car.:rolling:

I taught someone with a rusty 88 F150 I used to have a few years ago; with 3.55s she could get the rolling part down no problem, but had problems finding the gears with the long shifter and wide shift pattern.

Most newer cars are pretty easy; the old pickups with a granny gear and a five foot wide shift patern are a little tougher.

-Mike

Last edited:

1996slowbra

Established Member
I learned on a 96 VW GTI, thing was loads of fun to drive. My girlfriend has been asking me to teach her how to drive stick, i usually just unzip my pants but i think shes starting to get fed up with that response.

I really really don't want to teach her on my cobra...

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I learned on a 96 VW GTI, thing was loads of fun to drive. My girlfriend has been asking me to teach her how to drive stick, i usually just unzip my pants but i think shes starting to get fed up with that response.

I really really don't want to teach her on my cobra...

She probably isn't interested in learning on a short throw.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Nice! Looks like I'll be going to take a look at the S10 tomorrow, and if it is what they say it is, it'll be in my driveway on Thursday. Let's hope there's no leaks or anything crazy that would keep me from getting it.

Monster Mach

Established Member
best thing to do is have her watch you for a few hours driving.. how i taught all my exs lol

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Well she watched me for almost 3 years through my GT and Cobra, so she has a pretty good idea how it's done. I suppose showing her on the S10 would be good as well though.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It needs to be rear drive or the driving lessons during the winter will not bring into play the very necessary slide and catch skills that will be required by your future GT500 purchase plans.

A front wheel drive anything will only be helpful for the clutch work.
Winter driving with a 2wd RWD pickup will force the acquisition of the very necessary and correct skills that will be needed later on.

90s or early 2000s stick Ranger FTW. Forget that S10 crap.:nonono:

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
It needs to be rear drive or the driving lessons during the winter will not bring into play the very necessary slide and catch skills that will be required by your future GT500 purchase plans.

Winter driving with a 2wd RWD pickup will force the acquisition of the very necessarily and correct skills that will be needed later on.

Not even a S10 treated with Royal Purple?!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You're on a roll tonight. It's a stick, and it's rwd, so it's good enough. For my purpose, there's no real difference between a Ranger and an S10. How's the new job at Royal Purple going anyway?

The new gig is going GREAT! :rockon:

I worked at a Lincoln/Merc/Isuzu dealer for about 5 years and was not terribly impressed with the Isuzu version of Chebby's S10 product. There is not a whole lot of difference between them either.
Rangers may cost more but I believe they will prove to be worth the extra coin in robustness.

I am however hopelessly and irreversibly Ford biased.:-D

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor

Winter driving with a 2wd RWD pickup will force the acquisition of the very necessary and correct skills that will be needed later on.

I vote Ranger as well!

The old S10s with the 2.5 run forever; the ones that were made into postal vehicles are still in use today, 20+ years later.

However, the 2.2s in the later versions were horrible with head gaskets, and the 4.3s had problems with the fuel injection.

The 2.3s and 3.0s in the Rangers will last forever; the 4.0 OVH were not too bad either as far as reliability.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I vote Ranger as well!

The old S10s with the 2.5 run forever; the ones that were made into postal vehicles are still in use today, 20+ years later.

However, the 2.2s in the later versions were horrible with head gaskets, and the 4.3s had problems with the fuel injection.

The 2.3s and 3.0s in the Rangers will last forever; the 4.0 OVH were not too bad either as far as reliability.

In total agreement with this post!:rockon::beer:

Lets not forget the dropped exhaust seats too though. UGH! I sold a bunch of cylinder heads for those things, not just head gaskets.

I still have night mares from those stupid Isuzu Hombre 2.2 head jobs, though I must admit the bonus money was good.:p

Users who are viewing this thread