Best way to find a Puppy?

03DOHC

Established Member
+1. I adopted a puppy this past Monday from our local animal shelter and is about 8 weeks old. He is completely different than when I first adopted him, and the few days that I spent playing with him before making the plunge.

After about a day or so, he finally woke up and became a hellion. I'm not to used to having dogs inside, especially a puppy. It's been frustrating having to watching him CONSTANTLY. He is very aggressive and feisty when playing, which I don't mind but some others have. I'm in the process of crate training him, but it's been a huge hassle. He's been pretty good up until the last few day or so with going bathroom inside. He is just going at will everywhere, even after I take him outside; as soon as I get him inside he just shits.

It's been a hassle, especially with the roommates who now do not want the dog here anymore, and it's makes it hard for me to be here at the house all the time, because I can't crate up a puppy.

I've been going back and forth on whether to return him or not.

Just make sure you have twice the amount of time available to watch over and train the puppy.

I'd go with what txyaloo advised me, and maybe get a dog that is slightly older and more mature and independent.

But you can look in Shelters/newspaper/craigslist/Rescue Groups/Petfinder, just to name a few.
One of my pups took two corrections and the other took three maybe four corrections and they were housebroken by the next day after bringing them home from the breeder.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Sorry about the length LOL

+1. I adopted a puppy this past Monday from our local animal shelter and is about 8 weeks old. He is completely different than when I first adopted him, and the few days that I spent playing with him before making the plunge.
this is not too unusual at that age. My PERSONAL opinion as a former dog show participant and very involved in breeding 8 weeks is to young to leave momma. I would prefer to see 10 or 12 weeks.
After about a day or so, he finally woke up and became a hellion. I'm not to used to having dogs inside, especially a puppy. It's been frustrating having to watching him CONSTANTLY.
it can be a huge problem and puppies take huge amounts of time. your best bet is to get puppy gates that will keep him in your space and out of your roommates.
He is very aggressive and feisty when playing, which I don't mind but some others have.
you need to not play too rough with him. the fact that you don't mind and do so he thinks it is ok to play that way with everyone. and until he matures a bit more this will be a problem that will need your attention. play with him now the way you want him to play with everyone. later he will learn that YOU are the one he can play rough with
I'm in the process of crate training him, but it's been a huge hassle. He's been pretty good up until the last few day or so with going bathroom inside. He is just going at will everywhere, even after I take him outside; as soon as I get him inside he just shits.
consistency and a regular schedule is a must when trying to train a pup. take him out after he eats every time. Praise him a LOT when he goes outside where you want him to treat him with something special right after he goes outside. IF you don't CATCH him in the act of going in the house don't bother chastising him it will do no good, just clean it up and be done with it. Also don't give him the run of the house until he is house broke. confine him to your room when you are not home or not able to watch him. just take him out as often as you can. It is helpful if you can take a few days off and just spend it training him.

as far as crating him. get over the guilt. as long as the crate is big enough there is no reason to feel guilty. when you leave put him in the crate and give him a toy or two to play with and chew on. dogs sleep a lot during the day and he needs to learn where his place is. don't let him sleep in your bed but put him in his crate and teach him that is where he sleeps. the crate should be big enough that he can fully stand up, turn around and get comfortable in. look at what the store recommends and get one that is one or two sizes larger.
It's been a hassle, especially with the roommates who now do not want the dog here anymore, and it's makes it hard for me to be here at the house all the time, because I can't crate up a puppy.
most roommates and dogs and cats just sucks. if your roommates are unwilling to help out on the rare occasion you and the pup both will be better off if you return him but don't let your dislike for crating him be the deciding factor. as long as you are there to get him out and play with him and give him love and attention crating won't be a problem and the pup wont mind it once he gets used to it.
Just make sure you have twice the amount of time available to watch over and train the puppy.
absolutely for the first few weeks the pup and his training needs to be the main focus. Otherwise you are asking for trouble
I'd go with what txyaloo advised me, and maybe get a dog that is slightly older and more mature and independent.
This is not a bad idea but you need to be sure of the background of the dog so you don't get a dog that has been abused past the point of recovery
But you can look in Shelters/newspaper/craigslist/Rescue Groups/Petfinder, just to name a few.

Personally my advice is to stay away from the newspaper and craigslist adds. Most of them are not responsible breeders and you really don't know what you are getting.

I don't recommend shelters because you have NO idea what you are really getting. It is unfortunate that so many people are irresponsible with their pets but taking on someone else's problems is usually worse than training a new pup.

Rescue groups are a good source as long as they know the history of the dog and why the dog was rescued. multiple visits are a necessity before bringing home the pup.

The best thing to do if you want a pure bred is to go to some local AKC dog shows and talk to breeders really learn about the breed and the potential problems, esp. health problems. Some dog show folks have perfectly fine dogs that are not show quality and are willing to let them go to a good home for a fraction of the cost of a show quality dog. Some have dogs that they need to place because they are not winning shows or for some other reason that has nothing to do it being a good or bad dog.

when you do go to a breeder to look at pups, ask to see the parents, ask about any health problems they have had in their line. ask to see where the pups are kept and make note of how clean it looks and smells (smelling like dog is not a problem, smelling like shit is). a good breeder will answer all your questions straight up and not hem and haw around. ask around at shows about the reputation of someone you are considering getting a dog from as well.

good luck to both you guys :beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
One of my pups took two corrections and the other took three maybe four corrections and they were housebroken by the next day after bringing them home from the breeder.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dude do you have ANY idea how lucky you got? holy crap you need to patent your technique because you, my friend, have the magic touch. :beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dude do you have ANY idea how lucky you got? holy crap you need to patent your technique because you, my friend, have the magic touch. :beer:
Serious as a heart attack. 13 weeks old. My Wife can't believe how smart they are. The dogs manipulate my Wife so easily it isn't even funny. She is under their control and she doesn't even realize it. I just laugh.

I did grow up with breeding Fox Terriers so I'm no stranger to dogs.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Serious as a heart attack. 13 weeks old. My Wife can't believe how smart they are. The dogs manipulate my Wife so easily it isn't even funny. She is under their control and she doesn't even realize it. I just laugh.
I did grow up with breeding Fox Terriers so I'm no stranger to dogs.

yeah ALL dogs are pack oriented and they can tell who is in charge. When I was married and we were showing dogs, we had yorkies. I could look at Tribble and say "downstairs" and off he would go. I NEVER had to say it twice. Wife and daughter were a different story. when you talk to a dog with that "sweety pie" voice that has no command tone at all the dog is laughing on the inside LOL

03DOHC

Established Member
yeah ALL dogs are pack oriented and they can tell who is in charge. When I was married and we were showing dogs, we had yorkies. I could look at Tribble and say "downstairs" and off he would go. I NEVER had to say it twice. Wife and daughter were a different story. when you talk to a dog with that "sweety pie" voice that has no command tone at all the dog is laughing on the inside LOL
Yup. I had a Police Officer ring my doorbell because some guy had his cats stolen off his truck and he wanted to ask if I had seen or heard anything. Both my dogs alerted me to the person at the door by activity and when I opened the door and saw the officer I told them back, then down. Then I asked him what I could do for him. He looked at me and said wow, that was awesome, they didn't hesitate to listen to your commands at all. I just smiled. I guess most people don't spend any time with their dogs.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member

Rob and I experienced that a bit when we first got Bella (Westie). I really had a hard time being firm with her so she, of course, recognized him as the authority figure. Well, he went to Pennsylvania for 2 weeks a month after we got her (she was only 12 weeks, maybe) so I had to be the boss. Turns out I did my job well and she is a total momma's girl now. She listens to both of us, but tends to do what I say with a little less hesitation. Go figure. :lol1:

algoguen

Established Member
Here is how I did it!

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a puppy. I'm looking for a little black lab or flat coated retriever. I was wondering the best way to find a good litter. I know the newspapers and google is always a good place to look. But I just want to know I am getting a legit dog.

If you guys have had any luck with a website, breeder, or have any insight on a dog, please post. If you know a good lab breeder, even not in Texas, maybe posting a phone number would be good so I can make some calls.

I am in Texas, so a Dallas or Austin or Houston breeder would be ideal, but I'm willing to look further.

Thanks guys.

Go to Kennel Club web site (AKC) and search for Labs. then click on
breeders! Find one in your state or local area. Call them and see if they
have a litter ready for sale or when they will. Then (be careful) go look
at the dogs!"Here it comes" If you pick one up, be prepared to pay for it,
cause your gonna fall in love and not beable to put it down LOL.
I would go for either a Black Lab Male or Yellow!
I have had two Labs, a Yellow female and a Black male both at the same
time and Had them for their entire life. The are great loyal and smart
dogs. One suggestion though, be ready to spend time with them cause
they love the out doors and love to swim and run.
For housebreacking, use a grate. You can get instructions on how to do
that on line as well. Good luck, I miss mine very much. I now have
a Toy Fox Terrier, cause of my age and living conditions. :banana::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread