Best way to remove paint from taillights??

NETHNGBTSTK

Established Member
My taillights are tinted but its paint not tint. Will nail polish remover take off the paint and not dull the plastic?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
It will dull the surface, whatever you use. Not saying don't do it - once the paint is removed, sand it smooth and spray it with some clear. Or, buy new taillights, they're not that expensive. For a Mustang anyways, not sure what you're referring to.

straightliner1

Established Member
I would try wet sanding the paint off (to minimize scratches) and buff the shine back with some plastic polish. There's no easy way around it...

NETHNGBTSTK

Established Member
I would try wet sanding the paint off (to minimize scratches) and buff the shine back with some plastic polish. There's no easy way around it...

Yeah thats what i tried last weekend. I didn't go all the way with it bc i didn't want to ruin them. I wet sanded a descent amount off and the tint got lighter but now its very dull looking. Your saying use some plastic polish maybe?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
What kinda sand paper did you use? Wetsand in increasing grit all the way to 2500 then finish with 3M scratch remover and wax, should shine them up great. I used this method on my 3rd brake light when it turned white.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
OR trade someone who wants tinted tailights for their stockers :thumbsup:

Problem solved. Does not cost anyone anything and no headaches if you mess something up.

NETHNGBTSTK

Established Member
What kinda sand paper did you use? Wetsand in increasing grit all the way to 2500 then finish with 3M scratch remover and wax, should shine them up great. I used this method on my 3rd brake light when it turned white.

I used 1000,1500, and finished with 2000. I polished them up with New Finish (it was laying around the shop). It helped a little but just doesn't look right. At this point if i can just take the paint off completely and have the plastic not be all dull i would be happy.

straightliner1

Established Member
Yeah thats what i tried last weekend. I didn't go all the way with it bc i didn't want to ruin them. I wet sanded a descent amount off and the tint got lighter but now its very dull looking. Your saying use some plastic polish maybe?

I would go with something slightly more aggressive, like 600 (or 800 if they make it). You need to tear through that paint. Once all of the paint is gone concentrate on smoothing the plastic and buffing back the gloss.

Users who are viewing this thread