Best weight reduction?

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
So whats everyone tipping the scales at? I'm at 3,508 with-out driver on an '01. I want to shed some weight next year too, I'm just not ready to give up the ac or that wisconsin cheese :thumbsup:

TTA89

Established Member
mine was 3670 with me in it at the drags with a 1/2 tank. I think with a full tank, the rollbar, padding, harnesses, firesuit its def 3800lbs with me in it.

I think after you take out the basic BS like rear seat, spare, jack etc its not very cost effective go much further unless you are changing that item out for some other benefit.

For instance changing seats to save 50lbs is not a cheap purchase and what is 50lbs off 3800? I think unless you can pull off substantial weight its not worth it, substantial being 400+.

So is saving 20lbs by buying a 200 dollar battery worth it? Not to me, I don't think it changes anything regardless of where in the car it is. Although if you actually need a battery its not a bad idea...

I'm just rambling... :)

P.S. Mark, the seats just showed up. Its about to downpour... Typical.

Last edited:

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
for me it's been kinda a trade off. MM coil-overs and k-member reduced weight but, the roll bar put it back on. The benefit of racing seats is unbelievable on the road course, not only lighter, but less fatigue and you never think about hanging on :D I put the battery in back for weight distribution.
It's always tough for me chasing the ZO6's with 400 extra pounds :beer:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I was unhappy with my double stack fiberglass "wing" that came with my car (saleen-95) when I bought it. I replaced it with a T-1 wing from Paul Brown down in CA and it weighs like 5pounds. The one I took offer literally weighed about or atleast 20-30 pounds cause I had to use both arms to take it off my car. Also, I replaced my dynomax mufflers which were filled with fiberglass to insulate the noise, they probably weighed 15 pounds each and replaced it with SLP loudmouths I which weight less than 5 pounds each. So, in an attempt to make my car look better and sound better, I also took roughly 40+ pounds off my car minimum.

My old "wing" which weighed 20+ pounds
HPT3.jpg

My new T-1 spoiler which weighed about 5-6 pounds
CIMG0306.jpg

Another angle of new spoiler
CIMG0309.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Didn't I see somewhere on this site that 1 pound of unsprung weight is equivalant to 10 pounds of spring weight? If that is true, then that is another way of reducing weight in the car if you ever upgrade rims, brakes, suspension, etc. Pay a bit more for lighter materials and over time you'll have 2-300 pounds off. I need to weigh my car, I'll post my results.

Dave

TTA89

Established Member
I thought of anothe thing as I was digging through the closet and tripped over my lower pulley. That thing is heavier than the Metco lower I put on, at least for the 03/04 cars.

Also I ditched the Cats which an offroad prochamber but I don't know the difference in weight there.

SGL

Banned
dtheo said:
Didn't I see somewhere on this site that 1 pound of unsprung weight is equivalant to 10 pounds of spring weight?

I would like someone to explain to me the logic behind that ratio. Seems like an oversimplification of a complex problem.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
TTA89 said:
My lap timer is in the mail, I'll test it out next track event with and without a passenger. :D 03/04 Cobra's don't need weight reduction, we have 500hp. :bowdown: ;)

If I had $1 for ever 500 hp car I passed at a track event I'd probably own a Ford GT by now....

One thing you forgot Bruce is that 200 lbs is the equivalent of 20 hp but how does that translate into decreased stopping distances, quicker transitions, better cornering and MUCH less wear on the car?

I think weight reduction has a much greater affect on the overall performance of a road racing (or track car) that it does on a drag racing car.

Then again I'm just the guy in the 3100 lbs car with a measily 315 hp on Nitto tires passing the 500 hp Terminators so what do I know...... :poke:

Bottom line is that reducing weight will have a much greater affect on your vehicles performance than you can imagine.

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
agreed, if you want a mustang to be fast :burnout: I'll be working on shedding some weight so I can carry more speed through the turns and limit my Tire Rack account. :D

TTA89

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
If I had $1 for ever 500 hp car I passed at a track event I'd probably own a Ford GT by now....

One thing you forgot Bruce is that 200 lbs is the equivalent of 20 hp but how does that translate into decreased stopping distances, quicker transitions, better cornering and MUCH less wear on the car?

I think weight reduction has a much greater affect on the overall performance of a road racing (or track car) that it does on a drag racing car.

Then again I'm just the guy in the 3100 lbs car with a measily 315 hp on Nitto tires passing the 500 hp Terminators so what do I know...... :poke:

Bottom line is that reducing weight will have a much greater affect on your vehicles performance than you can imagine.

Haha you haven't run with me yet, I can't defend the others. :coolman:

I got the seats in the car, I saw you left a message but it was pretty straight forward. I have to work on the passenger seat as the bracket didn't want to sit flush with the floor so the seat is a tad crooked but the drivers came out great.

They feel nice, I took the car out and they are pretty comfortable. I just wished they looked a bit classier but they do the job. I like how they don't flex like the stock seats. I took the car through the gears and when it pushes you in the seat (I'll take you for a ride if you want to know what that feels like :poke: ) you feel the back of the seat holding you in place.

Holy heavy is the drivers seat although I'm not sure how much weight is saved after all the brackets. Those weigh more than the seats!

TTA89

Established Member
What were they thinking with this thing?

0011.jpg

And the result, still gotta run the harnesses but was getting dark... Just ran around in the car for about an hour, the seats aren't too bad. I wouldn't want to drive 8 hours in them but for crusing around or even driving back and forth to work they are fine.

The one thing I wasn't expecting is the huge improvement of chasis feel through the seat. You can really feel whats going on, I was getting on an on-ramp and the feedback from the car is awesome, can't wait to get them out on track.

And NO, I can't tell a damn bit of difference from the weight loss. :p

0012.jpg

Last edited:

SGL

Banned
TTA89 said:
What were they thinking with this thing?

0011.jpg

Ah yes the old Delta track. It's not competitive weight wise with the latest power adjuster technology. Very noisy and the rail sections tend to acquire a "rough" feel after some mileage. Plus look at all the "beefing-up" that had to occur on the belt buckle side in order to handle crash loads. You got to love the inboard belt to seat arrangements. :nonono:

Last edited by a moderator:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
serpentnoir said:
I would like someone to explain to me the logic behind that ratio. Seems like an oversimplification of a complex problem.

Plob, interesting article I found...

Definitions
“Unsprung weight” moves when the wheel moves. “Sprung weight” moves when the chassis moves.
Weight controlled by the suspension, and usually below the suspension, which forces it into contact with the road surface or other components, is unsprung weight.
Weight supported by the suspension, and usually above the suspension, which separates and isolates it from the road surface and other components, is sprung weight.
There appears to be some confusion concerning the definition and behavior of rotating weight. Many advantages that apply solely to reduction of rotating weight have been erroneously applied to reduction of unsprung weight. Among these are the concept that there is a ratio or formula that predicts a greater effect on the acceleration of a vehicle if weight is removed than the actual weight change; there is no single accurate formula (although some rough predictions provide useful information through a combination of generalities), and it does not apply to unsprung weight in any case. There are components on all vehicles that are both rotating weight and unsprung weight, but the effects are frequently, and improperly, combined and attributed to unsprung weight.
Effects
Unsprung vs. sprung weight have no difference in their effect on acceleration or top speed. There is no “1-10” rule (or any other ratio) where 1 lb. removed from unsprung weight “has the same same effect as” a higher amount of sprung weight. Any benefit from weight reduction towards increased MPH or reduced ET will be exactly the same as if the weight were removed from the chassis. Weight removed from an unsprung component, such as a rear wheel, may affect traction if the wheel is not under control during launch.
Lighter wheels, tires & brake rotors do have a very small additional benefit due to the lower amount of power required to rotate them (true of all rotating components), but this is not due to their classification as unsprung weight.
The unsprung vs. sprung weight percentage greatly affects wheel control, but its importance is almost entirely limited to un-even surfaces, or conditions where the attitude of the vehicle changes (such as through G forces). This is most important in off-road and pavement road racing, somewhat less important in dirt track, and has almost no value in drag racing. As the importance of suspension travel for proper wheel control diminishes, the value of reducing the unsprung proportion of the total chassis weight is lessened, and becomes zero if the suspension travel is zero.
Vehicles requiring precise control of wheel movement, where a low percentage of unsprung weight is an advantage, will have faster lap times and higher top speeds, not because unsprung weight reduction improves acceleration or top speed, but because traction is improved.
The unsprung vs. sprung weight percentage also affects ride comfort, since lighter springs are needed to maintain traction and control with lighter unsprung components (alloy wheels and swing-arm, alloy calipers, composite springs, etc.), the chassis is less disturbed by wheel movement and road surface irregularities.

This was the best explanation I found after searching many sites. Hope it helps.

Dave

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Dave, good article. Thanks :)

do you open track that S351? Friend of mine had one for quite a few years.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
VENM said:

Yes, very new to open track and racing for that matter. My first DE was at Heartland Park in March, did another one this month at MAM and a few wednesday night gigs every so often to keep the engine warm. My car is currently at the doctors office getting engine gutted to see if I needs to get new rings and seals. Fun sport, very addicting, I need new tires, my street tires are about worn out, might just upgrade to some R compounds. Its not a S351, its a R302 block carved to 363, I bought the car this way, it has enough power for me, now I am psycho about making the car lighter. I hope to be at Road America in August 5-6th if my car is done for another shelby driving school, hope to see you there.

Dave

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
VENM said:

Yes, very new to open track and racing for that matter. My first DE was at Heartland Park in March, did another one this month at MAM and a few wednesday night gigs every so often to keep the engine warm. My car is currently at the doctors office getting engine gutted to see if I needs to get new rings and seals. Fun sport, very addicting, I need new tires, my street tires are about worn out, might just upgrade to some R compounds. Its not a S351, its a R302 block carved to 363, I bought the car this way, it has enough power for me, now I am psycho about making the car lighter. I hope to be at Road America in August 5-6th if my car is done for another shelby driving school, hope to see you there.

Pic of engine
STANGZILLAPICS061.gif

Dave

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Hope to see you at RA, my plate is VENM. July 15 & 16 is SVTOA at Gingerman too :thumbsup:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Seats look great! They should flex some which you will be thankful for if you ever get in an accident as they will absorb a good portion of the impact. I'm not sure if you ran with the belts or not but if you didn't everything stiffens up pretty good when the 5/6 point belts are tight.

Dtheo - Where are you located? If you can make it out to Gingerman July 15-16th it would be a great opportunity for you to get some good instruction at a safe track.

Info can be found at: Gingerman SVTOA event

Best money you can spend when you are starting out is to get track time with an Instructor.

Users who are viewing this thread