Best weight reduction?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Next winter I want to reduce the weight of my car by 200 pounds with as much of it coming off the front as possible to balance it out better. I already have an Odeyssey 15lb battery, decided to do that rather than relocate to the trunk for now. Really would like to avoid swapping the Kmember unless it saves 30 or more pounds. I do plan to get racing seats and possibly do a rear seat delete kit, but that wouldn't be from the front. What have you track guys done to get the best reduction w/o gutting your cars?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
2 pc rotors (alum hubs)
lightweight wheels (CCW for example)
Lighter tires
C/F hood
Move your batt to the trunk

Some ideas for you.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Thanks guys! I had no idea the stock seats weighed that much, especially the drivers side, it's a pig. Looks like I can about get there with a pair of front racing seats, aftermarket Kmember, and aluminum drive shaft. The wheels reduce weight, but not off of the suspension like I want. Thanks again! Shannon

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Be careful of that list. Unfortunately it was compiled from info off the corral and I compared the weights of parts pulled off a car that we did to the weights on that list and found quite a number of inaccuraces.

If you're looking at the aftermarket seat weights they don't include the weight of the mounting brackets or sliders which will add approx 13 lbs per seat.

Reducing the wheel weight is MUCH more benefical that just removing weight from somewhere like the seat. It's unsprung weight AND its rotational.

SGL

Banned
I verified the seat weigths from the web site and they are accurate. 58 lbs driver leather and 40 lbs passenger leather. The Recaro Pole Position with sliders, aluminum brackets and custom floor mounts is ~25lbs.

As mentionned above, there are substantial opportunities for weight savings in the wheels but... strenght is always a concern. The cheapo $150 aftermarket wheels have questionable strength. Slap racing rubber on them and I wouldn't sleep at night. The OE wheels are a known quantity but you sacrifice some weight savings. Then again there is always the $500 a piece custom wheel (Kodiak, Forgeline, CCW,....). In my opinion, anything that connects the car to the ground (suspension, brakes, wheels, tires) has to be bullet proof.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
Reducing the wheel weight is MUCH more benefical that just removing weight from somewhere like the seat. It's unsprung weight AND its rotational.

W3RD! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

serpentnoir said:
As mentionned above, there are substantial opportunities for weight savings in the wheels but... strenght is always a concern. The cheapo $150 aftermarket wheels have questionable strength. Slap racing rubber on them and I wouldn't sleep at night. The OE wheels are a known quantity but you sacrifice some weight savings. Then again there is always the $500 a piece custom wheel (Kodiak, Forgeline, CCW,....). In my opinion, anything that connects the car to the ground (suspension, brakes, wheels, tires) has to be bullet proof.

Cheapo aftermarket wheels will almost be equally heavy compared to a factory wheel.

The Steeda Ultralight wheels are a decent weight savings for the price.

CCW makes a great light wheel and like anything else racing related, you are going to pay a large price for a small weight savings. Welcome to the world of racing. If you're rich, you won't be rich any longer after you've raced a few years!?!? Like Junior Johnson used to say; "If you want to make a small fortune in racing, start with a big one!"

Welcome to the club!

:read:

Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
I verified the seat weigths from the web site and they are accurate. 58 lbs driver leather and 40 lbs passenger leather. The Recaro Pole Position with sliders, aluminum brackets and custom floor mounts is ~25lbs.

I have those in the mail right now... Not exactly a bang for the buck mod. ~$1600 bucks for 48lbs. Although now my sub strap will work correctly and shoulder harnesses won't fall off the seat.

[/quote]

Thats why I have 3 sets of real 95 Cobra R wheels, they are light and proven plus I think its one of the best looking wheels on a Mustang. You can buy used sets from $400-$450 bucks.

I'd also look into these. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=48_132&products_id=577 at 21lbs a piece.

I was going to start watching ebay for used radio stuff, replace the mach system with speakers and an mp3 headunit with no amp. That should save ~30lbs with all that BS in the rear shelf.

Moving the battery is a pain in the neck, but a light weight one I would consider...

Really though when you'r working with a 3700lb car how much difference does 10 or 15lbs really make? None unless you do a bunch of it at the same time but the return for $$$ isn't that great unless you can pull a lot out.

Going coilover will save some weight, I'm going to replace my front control arms with MM pieces next year that will save another 13lbs or something...

Rollbar, bracing, harnesses, coolers etc all put the weight back. These cars suck... I want a BMW. :kaboom:

SGL

Banned
TTA89 said:
I have those in the mail right now... Not exactly a bang for the buck mod. ~$1600 bucks for 48lbs. Although now my sub strap will work correctly and shoulder harnesses won't fall off the seat.

I love mine. The Recaros should have been my first mod on the car. Thanks Mark! It's not a glamorous mod like a supercharger but I would gladly trade my Kenne-Bell for better seats.

TTA89

Established Member
TroyV said:
Go ahead and get one. I'll be happy to accept your point by. :)

Come on, you don't think I'd buy one thats slower than the Cobra do you?

I want an E36 with an LS1/T56 that weighs 2600lbs. :beer:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Sounds like one hell of a project car... Too bad you don't do projects... ;)

93SVTCobra

Established Member
10 or 15 lbs by it self doesn't sound like a lot but it all adds up. You'll never notice a 1 lb difference but if you can find 100 places to lose 1 lb you'll defintiely notice it.

If you REALLY want to lose weight you have to look at every piece of the car and determine what can be done to optimize it.

TTA89

Established Member
As a reference point, throw a 180-200lb passenger in the car, do you notice a difference?

Honestly when people ride with me at the Auto X I feel no effect on the car, I guess its the same for track days too if someone is riding shotgun. Maybe I'm not as in tune with the car as other people but I think weight savings is over rated. :p

I always wanted to go to the dragstrip with 300lbs worth of sand and start taking it out 50lbs at a time and see what happens. I think if anything I notice the weight of a passenger when accelerating but not so much when braking or turning. :shrug:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
180-200 lbs...DEFINITELY!

Anyone who doesn't think that weight makes a difference I welcome you to come out to any track event and I'll run with you for a 30 minute session and we'll see who fairs better. I'll only bring my 315 hp motor too.....

Reducing the weight of a car makes it accelerate quicker, brake in a shorter distance and makes the car handle better. With less weight everything happens much quicker as there is less weight to throw around.

Wait a sec.... an 03-04 Cobra owner stating that weight savings are over rated... why am I not surprised :) That's almost as funny as an 03-04 Cobra owner calling the new Shelby a pig! :poke:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
180-200 lbs...DEFINITELY!

Anyone who doesn't think that weight makes a difference I welcome you to come out to any track event and I'll run with you for a 30 minute session and we'll see who fairs better. I'll only bring my 315 hp motor too.....

Reducing the weight of a car makes it accelerate quicker, brake in a shorter distance and makes the car handle better. With less weight everything happens much quicker as there is less weight to throw around.

Wait a sec.... an 03-04 Cobra owner stating that weight savings are over rated... why am I not surprised :) That's almost as funny as an 03-04 Cobra owner calling the new Shelby a pig! :poke:

LOL! :pop:

TTA89

Established Member
What I'm saying is dropping 100-200lbs off the car isn't something that you are going to really feel, at least I don't.

My lap timer is in the mail, I'll test it out next track event with and without a passenger. :D 03/04 Cobra's don't need weight reduction, we have 500hp. :bowdown: ;)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TTA89 said:
What I'm saying is dropping 100-200lbs off the car isn't something that you are going to really feel, at least I don't.

My lap timer is in the mail, I'll test it out next track event with and without a passenger. :D 03/04 Cobra's don't need weight reduction, we have 500hp. :bowdown: ;)

200 lbs is equivalent to 20 hp. You can't tell me you're not going to feel that? :read:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
200 lbs is equivalent to 20 hp. You can't tell me you're not going to feel that? :read:
Yeh plus they say that every 100 lbs is good for 1/10th in the quarter mile, so I'd say there is something to it. When I have a 200+ lb friend with me, my car definately feels more sluggish off the line. If it affects drag racing it's going to affect open tracking to some extent too. It also depends on where you remove the weight from. Taking 25-35 lbs off the front nose by relocating the battery or going with a lightweight battery like I did helps in cornering.

Users who are viewing this thread