Better winter vehicle for Colorado mountains.

What vehicle is better for winter driving in mountains

• 2WD Ranger

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Mustang GT

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rotzs99

Established Member
I recently moved out of my parents house from Chicago, Illinois to Denver, CO. I have a 97 Ranger 4.0 OHV 2WD auto trans. It has an open differential with a 3.08 gearset. I just put on new Firestone Destination A/T tires and I load up 360 lbs of sandbags in the back. They want me to get a 4x4, AWD, or FWD car. I think a mustang GT would be better for winter driving than my truck. It has 4 wheel disc brakes that are bigger. Posi rear end, traction control, I'd put dedicated snow tires on it, and a manual trans would help for engine braking. Only thing I think the Ranger has going for it is the ground clearance.

I don't want to hear "who gives a **** about what your parents say" I want to know what everyone thinks would be the better vehicle. Ranger or Mustang.

Last edited:

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
we don't get much snow in Ga, but from what little I know trucks always do better than rear wheel drive cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Deepest I've ever seen in my life is 6 inches of snow.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Engine braking too hard on snow or ice is bad news, if you're not careful your wheels will lock up as the torque from the engine overpowers the traction your tires have.

well the good part is i could put it in any gear whereas im limited to D, 1 or 2 in my ranger. Roasted my brakes in the Ranger a while back coming down a real steep long grade.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
My Cobra was damn terrible in the snow. My older brother's 2wd Ranger was terrible in the snow, too. Listen to your parents and get a 4wd.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
well the good part is i could put it in any gear whereas im limited to D, 1 or 2 in my ranger. Roasted my brakes in the Ranger a while back coming down a real steep long grade.

Uh, you can move the shifter on an auto into D or 2 also.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I recently moved out of my parents house from Chicago, Illinois to Denver, CO. I have a 97 Ranger 4.0 OHV 2WD auto trans. It has an open differential with a 3.08 gearset. I just put on new Firestone Destination A/T tires and I load up 360 lbs of sandbags in the back. They want me to get a 4x4, AWD, or FWD car. I think a mustang GT would be better for winter driving than my truck. It has 4 wheel disc brakes that are bigger. Posi rear end, traction control, I'd put dedicated snow tires on it, and a manual trans would help for engine braking. Only thing I think the Ranger has going for it is the ground clearance.
I don't want to hear "who gives a **** about what your parents say" I want to know what everyone thinks would be the better vehicle. Ranger or Mustang.

LMAO! Let me know how that goes for ya! After a few years of driving f-bodies in NY winters, I would NEVER reccomend a RWD sports car for winter driving to anyone. You're going to be all over the place on the road.. even with snow tires and weight in the trunk. I finally bought a 4wd Trailblazer.

Sell the ranger and get a 4wd truck. Dont even consider the mustang as an option. You'll thank me later.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I know, but it would be nice to have more options. 3,4,5.

Anyone driven a stang with winter tires?

I love my truck, but probably end up getting an exploder.

And yes.. I've driven a 99 stang in the winter too. Pretty much the same thing as a F-body. New tires also, and it still sucked. Theyre just too light.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
LMAO! Let me know how that goes for ya! After a few years of driving f-bodies in NY winters, I would NEVER reccomend a RWD sports car for winter driving to anyone. You're going to be all over the place on the road.. even with snow tires and weight in the trunk. I finally bought a 4wd Trailblazer.

Sell the ranger and get a 4wd truck. Dont even consider the mustang as an option. You'll thank me later.

Good advice along with all the others that say similar things. 'Stangs are not meant for winter and a 2wd Ranger is not your best option. Good luck with it.

ryanjoachim

Established Member
I know, but it would be nice to have more options. 3,4,5.

Anyone driven a stang with winter tires?

I love my truck, but probably end up getting an exploder.

yes i have a 97 gt with winter tires trust me they dont make much of a difference its a little better on straight snow if u have any hill or anything its still a bitch

bmxer89

Established Member
Both are horrible choices, I drove my cobra in snow (don't worry no salt) a few times when i had no choice and it was hell. Awd is were it is at.

Jroc

Established Member
lol.

Mustangs suck in foul weather. I would get a 4WD truck.

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
I live in Colorado Springs and my dad owned a ranger and I put some snow tires on my mustang...and they both sucked balls...big time. you'll be KIND OF ok on flat snow with either vehicle but the first bump/dip/hill means sledding time. I'm with Camaro 94 on this one...gotta go with AWD.

once all is said and done...I prefered my mustang, only because I could choose my gear and drive slow as heck and not look dumb doin 9mph in a truck...

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Ranger, but it will still suck. Bigger brakes don't mean shit on ice, plain and simple. As far as posi rear? I like posi, or lockers with 4wd, or on the strip but as far as 2wd or staying on the road open diff is where its at. I think this is going to be one nasty winter, and would reccoment selling the stranger and picking up a cheap 4wd.... I don't live far from denver, and it drives me nuts about all the out of staters that cause traffic delays due to lack of winter vehicles..

stangin99

Established Member
Neither. Both vehicles are RWD and very light in the backend. Unless you plan to throw a few hundred pounds in the bed of the truck.

Get a real truck and/or something with 4wd/awd.

Users who are viewing this thread