Beware of MSD distributor

RFM50

Established Member
So this may be old news but it's the first I have heard of it and want to make sure no one else has the same problem as me. I have a billet msd distributor for my 393(stroked 351w) and last Friday I was getting ready for the track and on a wot pull, my car died. Was able to get it started and limped it home. After trying a couple other things, found that the screw had backed out of the rotor and broke. I got a new cap and rotor and found it was still having problems. Well come to find out the screw must of broke one of the reluctor teeth. I called msd and they are really no help and don't stand behind there product past a year. They wanted me to send it in at my cost and it could take up to 5 weeks to get it back. I decided to order the part and I will take it to the machine shop tha built my motor and have him press it on. After doing some research, this sounds like a very common problem. MSD obviousley knows about it and there solution is to use blue lock tight on the screws. It would be nice if they did this from the factory and included it in the cap and rotor instructions. Anyways just wanted to make sure everyone else has heard about this. I have lost a lot of faith in MSD. This could have been a lot worse.

RFM50

Established Member
Interesting

Yeah I was pretty surprised to find out this has happened with other people. At first I thought the old owner of the car didn't tighten the screw all the way but when I started searching online, I found quite a few different types of car forums with people having the same issue. One guy called msd and there solution to him was to throw blue lock tite on the screws.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am not a fan of MSD products. I had problems with an MSD 6 ignition box and I personally know a couple others that have as well. MSD makes junk IMO and I would never own one of their products again.

89stang1

Established Member
yeah i have been thru it with my msd billet dizzy it put me on a flatbed a couple times. Ive had the pip module crap out twice a tfi once, its a pity the msd billet dizzys look real nice but the parts inside are junk. Just replace parts for better or oem then all is well. I have 6al-2 box now 7 years so far no problems it could be luck but i doubt it:rolleyes: and i run msd blaster 2 coil and msd super conductor wires i do like the wires.

RFM50

Established Member
yeah i have been thru it with my msd billet dizzy it put me on a flatbed a couple times. Ive had the pip module crap out twice a tfi once, its a pity the msd billet dizzys look real nice but the parts inside are junk. Just replace parts for better or oem then all is well. I have 6al-2 box now 7 years so far no problems it could be luck but i doubt it:rolleyes: and i run msd blaster 2 coil and msd super conductor wires i do like the wires.

Wow that's a lot of failure! I'm surprised you stuck with MSD

MustangerMike

Established Member

yep, alot have had trouble with the MSD TFI dizzys, i didnt know the carb ones were getting this bad, but i have noticed things going downhill at MSD.

Mnstr50

Established Member
I had issues with MSD components in the past with my corvette, as well as a few other fox bodies I've owned. I ditched the MSD items and went back to OEM components (both in the Ford's and Chevy's).

I've been reluctant to purchase any other aftermarket ignition system items, but I know some people prefer Crane and Accel.

Users who are viewing this thread