BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

fletchffletch

Established Member
Yes. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Seems the manufacturer always picks a wheel width for measurement purposes that is in the middle of the range of recommended widths. The width at the tread doesn't change, but as the width at the rim is pulled inward, a portion of that change impacts the cross section measurement. The cross section is always the widest measurement. That's the reason I'm not a proponent of deviating from the tire manufacturer's recommended wheel widths. A tire can be "pinched" to the point that it exceeds it's design limits. Sure it will roll, but I'm not going to trust my life with it.

That's also one reason I would choose the smaller width recommended for a given tire when you put oversized tires on the rear. With guys widening wheels, it's not always an option because you need enough width to accomplish a reasonable resulting offset. For every inch, or fraction thereof, you widen a wheel, half of that addition increases the offset.

Got it! Thanks, man - very helpful.

This morning I went and talked to a tire shop I purchased from before. After discussing w/ him, I think I may ditch the all-season tire thought and open up to going the summer tire route -- more options for tires and frankly it really doesn't get THAT cold here in ATL. Guy helping me seemed to know his business, as he was pointing out things and calculating measurement like you do.

There just aren't a lot of tire options for a 305/35-20. As such, I'm strongly considering 275/35-20 in front and 295/35-20 in the rear. My understanding is that with that setup I still have the option to lower it if I wish.

I'm still thinking about the 285/35-20 front and something in the rear but not likely a 315/35-20. Maybe there is a 305/35-20 out there. I'll have to look. Not sure about lowering option with a setup like that.

Users who are viewing this thread