Bfg ??

F8LVNM

Established Member
I went to the track an I think my 60ft should be a bit better with the new bfg's.The 1st 60ft was 1.93 an the other was 1.92. :shrug:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Dumping the clutch is a lot easier on the clutch than slipping it. But harder on drive train parts. One trick I used when I was NHRA racing was to preload the drivetrain just prior to launch. I would stage and set the line lock, then when the tree started down, I would bring my rpm's up and very lightly load the drivetrain by slightly letting out the clutch and holding it there. Then just dump it and go. It's harder on clutches, but I changed them every few races anyway. But I NEVER broke a tranny or rear end that way...and believe me...that car left HARD!

dougwg

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Dumping the clutch is a lot easier on the clutch than slipping it. But harder on drive train parts. One trick I used when I was NHRA racing was to preload the drivetrain just prior to launch. I would stage and set the line lock, then when the tree started down, I would bring my rpm's up and very lightly load the drivetrain by slightly letting out the clutch and holding it there. Then just dump it and go. It's harder on clutches, but I changed them every few races anyway. But I NEVER broke a tranny or rear end that way...and believe me...that car left HARD!

:thumbsup:

Pred_mech

Established Member
You have to get in the tracks of all the other cars. There is a sort of lane created from all the cars. I noticed every time I was not in the sweet spot I would spin and get bad times. Now I have been getting solid 1.8 and 1.79s and thats with Nittos. I leave @ 4k..I don't side step it though.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Also, no need to smoke the BFGs for very long. They don't take near the burnout of the Nittos, so don't waste your tread! :beer:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Every time I see the subject of this post, I think of the Big F*cking Gun - LOL

Crowley

nix5o

Established Member
I have a question, how hard can you launch an irs with slicks and level 5 axles and billet flow brace and all of the goodies?

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
F8LVNM said:
I went to the track an I think my 60ft should be a bit better with the new bfg's.The 1st 60ft was 1.93 an the other was 1.92. :shrug:

Come on bro. You can have the best tire in the world but if you don't have the suspension set up to load the rear tires on launch with the proper size tires and air pressure for your combo you're pissing in the wind!! :bash: Case closed.

Last edited:

F8LVNM

Established Member
anvrsy red vert said:
Come on bro. You can have the best tire in the world but if you don't have the suspension set up to load the rear tires on launch with the proper size tires and air pressure for your combo you're pissing in the wind!! :bash: Case closed.

Good point.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:

Sounds good. Did you ever red light due to the car pushing thru the line lock?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The only time I ever pushed the car through the line loc was the first pass after I installed a new design McLeod clutch. They told me you need xxx amount of clearance at xxxx amount of rpm. I said WTF???? How are you supposed to measure disk clearance at rpm??? I said screw it and set it up as normal. I staged the car, set the line loc, brought the rpm's up...and the damn thing left!!! It seems this particular clutch had a different style of centrifugal assist that you had to compensate for due to the extreme lightness of the pressure plate. Once I had that figured out, it was a helluva clutch.

Set the line loc hard. The car won't move. There are a some racers that actually install a brake pressure gauge to make sure they have the line loc set hard enough. Remember...you are just slightly preloading the drivetrain. You will feel the car take up the drivetrain slack...and that's all you want.

Users who are viewing this thread