big fuel pumps coolers

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
i need your guys help on a prob im having. i just put a return system on the car last month its lethals triple system.got 3 gss342 walbro, 3 -6feeds to a -10 and then splits back into dual -8 to the rails then the regulator. the rails are fore mammoths and the reg is aeromotive pro. ihave all 3 pumps on full time, no hobbs. the prob im having is that my numbers have drop more than i think should.
the same tunner tuned the car b4 and after. the car made 668hp and 633tq with 60's and stock pumps and a bap. now this was in april last year. the new tune, new complete fuel sysytem with 60's 629hp and 550tq. both tunes are @ 19lbs. now the tunner said that the numb loss was due to summer time tune but i can see 30 hp but 80 lb of tq seems to be alot to me. april 75-80 degs june 90-95 with 90-100% hum. so i have been digging around trying to see if somthing was wrong. i have noticed that the fuel line are crazy hot even under the car the lines are hot. the fuel pumps get louder too the longer i drive the car. so i been thinking maybe the fuel temps could be a prob. i been looking at glenns fuel coolers. anybody have any time with these? am i just wasting my time with this fuel temp stuff? the car feels strong but u can def feel the lack of low n grunt now. im about to put the bottle on the car and its going to be getting tuned again in july witch is even hotter i was hopeing to be close to the 800 club with the bottle now im going to be lucky to make the 700 your thoughts?

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
Where did you route the fuel lines? Cooler fuel isn't ever a bad thing, but like you asked, is it worth the time and money to do it?

keith89

Established Member
I'm going to install a fuel cooler next weekend. I have dual walbros running full-time and when it gets over 80 degrees out my fuel pumps will be screaming and cavitating after about an hour of driving with a full tank of gas. It will struggle to hold fuel pressure due to vaporlock.

The Glenns piece is way overpriced for what you get. Since you already have a return setup, you won't need the hose they provide, so you just need the radiator and a few fittings.
I ordered one of these: Tru-Cool Oil Coolers
It feels like a solid piece. I'll mount it on my return line, flat under the driver's side of the car. I got the 12 row one and hope it's big enough. I might have to get a second one.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
ya my tuner gets the car up to temp and then lets its sit for about 10-20 minutes between each tune so its not back to back. but they way we routed the lines i dont like at all the lethal instructions have the lines routed inches away from the muffler and i have chambered muffs to so its really close. but i spent like $80 bucks on exhaust wrap and cool it sheild to make sure to keep the heat down. but theres not alot of diff.ways to run big lines like that under our cars even more so with irs. im going to look more into this true coolers. did it help with your set up keith89. im going to take some digital temp readings of the fuel see just how hot these things are getting.

keith89

Established Member
ya my tuner gets the car up to temp and then lets its sit for about 10-20 minutes between each tune so its not back to back. but they way we routed the lines i dont like at all the lethal instructions have the lines routed inches away from the muffler and i have chambered muffs to so its really close. but i spent like $80 bucks on exhaust wrap and cool it sheild to make sure to keep the heat down. but theres not alot of diff.ways to run big lines like that under our cars even more so with irs. im going to look more into this true coolers. did it help with your set up keith89. im going to take some digital temp readings of the fuel see just how hot these things are getting.

I'll be installing it next weekend. It'll be going on my return line. A lot of fuel is returning to the fuel tank from the hot engine bay and fuel rails, which raises the temp of the gas over time. this combined with the external fuel pumps, sucking gas may be boiling the fuel before it reaches the pumps, causing them to cavitate. I may need to move my pumps closer to the supply port on my tank. I have it mounted under the car just behind where the passenger seat mounts. I have a feeling it may also be my y block to the pumps. It's a custom fabbed triple y block. I only have 2 pumps and i have a feeling the part where it splits to the three ports is creating a low pressure area, which lowers the boiling temperature of liquids.

Users who are viewing this thread