Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
As we all start getting up there on the Horse Power will we need to upgrade our cooling system? Bigger radiator? Lower Thermostat? Down here in South Florida is gets really hot. I rarely ever have my AC off and so far the cooling system is holding well. The heat from the motor is just insane. It takes over 15 hours for the motor to cool down in my garage. Forget about coming in my 2 car garage for the first 6 hours because it turns into a steam room. MY little 3.0L 300ZXTT would NEVER heat the garage up like this monster V8 does. I guess my question is: When do we start upgrading our cooling system for maximum performance?

our radiators are a upgrade from the GT, with it being aluminum, how much of a upgrade is it to the steeda? could the water pump be the real problem in cooling these beast?, i'm wondering if the pump is too small?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
There could be a problem with the pump and flow... I know the 00R has a different pump on it. Maybe they needed more flow for the bigger radiator :shrug: The pic below shows you how thick it is compared to the stock one.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Originally posted by 03 COBRA SB
could the water pump be the real problem in cooling these beast?, i'm wondering if the pump is too small?

IMO a bigger pump won't do you any good unless the thermostat opens to allow the coolant to circulate. So it'd have to be a combo IE. lower temp thermostat and more efficient water pump. But no matter how much you circulate the coolant the radiator has to be able to disperse the heat. FiveohDean is running an electric pump and reported marginal benefits. The troubles installing it almost make it prohibitive.

Again IMO the best solution would be a better intercooler. Think about it, you have a giant heat sync sittin ontop of your motor. No matter how much you cool the block your intake charge/discharge will be quite hot. Not to mention the sympathetic heat generated by the Eaton. So cool the Eaton problem solved.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
IMO a bigger pump won't do you any good unless the thermostat opens to allow the coolant to circulate. So it'd have to be a combo IE. lower temp thermostat and more efficient water pump. But no matter how much you circulate the coolant the radiator has to be able to disperse the heat. FiveohDean is running an electric pump and reported marginal benefits. The troubles installing it almost make it prohibitive.

Again IMO the best solution would be a better intercooler. Think about it, you have a giant heat sync sittin ontop of your motor. No matter how much you cool the block your intake charge/discharge will be quite hot. Not to mention the sympathetic heat generated by the Eaton. So cool the Eaton problem solved.

The Cobra R had a much better designed pump. Our stat opens at 180 degrees and at 180-190 we are not having a problem it is when the temperature is going over 210 and going to a lower stat then 180 might cause other issues under normal driving especially with I more efficient cooling system. I think the biggest thing is first have your chip programmed to turn the fans on sooner. Then it would be larger capacity radiator. Then replace the pump for a Cobra R unit.

I have a KB and that is better then any intercooler you will ever put on a pulley'd Eaton. I drove home 1 1/2 hours almost 100 miles at speeds over 80 mph the entire way. This was from 5:00pm-6:30pm in South Florida. When I arrived home I put my hand on the supercharger and it was very warm, but no where near Eaton temperatures even stock. The intercooler was slightly above ambient.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03

Very true...I have a bigger heat exchanger with fans. This puts more heat into the radiator and so on and so on. We have cooler air going into the engine but our engines are running hotter than they should so we lose performance/power... A bigger radiator should help reduce the engine temp.
Just my theory.....:beer:

lethal

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Originally posted by toofast4u
I have a KB and that is better then any intercooler you will ever put on a pulley'd Eaton. I drove home 1 1/2 hours almost 100 miles at speeds over 80 mph the entire way. This was from 5:00pm-6:30pm in South Florida. When I arrived home I put my hand on the supercharger and it was very warm, but no where near Eaton temperatures even stock. The intercooler was slightly above ambient.

Dude! You put your KB on already.... sheesh when?

John

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Originally posted by lethal
Dude! You put your KB on already.... sheesh when?

John

Do you really want to know? I received it last monday at 10:00am and it was on my car and running before I went to bed at midnight.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Horse Power and Stock Cooling System. Is it enough?

Originally posted by toofast4u
I received it last monday at 10:00am and it was on my car and running before I went to bed at midnight.

Ok Pencil me in on Jan 1st for my install. I'll be at your place say, 10am? ha!

jwfisher

Banned
Any issues moving the ABS pump? How much is it moved? I assume there is enough "give' in the lines to allow it to be moved a short distance?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by jwfisher
Any issues moving the ABS pump? How much is it moved? I assume there is enough "give' in the lines to allow it to be moved a short distance?

The ABS pump needs to move back about 1/2" I slotted the holes in the bracket.

:)
Nos is the last resort....

PM your e-mail address Ill send you all the pictures 15 or so

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread