Big Ticket To Young Driver...

woaface

Established Member
I'm looking for two terms actually. I got a $440 for doing 27 over. (3mph more and I would have been MADE to go to court over wreckless)

So anyways, I was late for a really important something with s breathing down my neck to be on time and I was on an empty open highway. Traffic is usually 10-15 over. I'll tell them I'm sorry and I won't mismanage my time anymore.

So the first thing I want to do is go to court and ask for all the evidence against me...what's the word(s) I should use when obtaining this?

Second, if I can't find much wrong with the circumstances given (since I thought I was doing about 65) I'm going to plead guilty under _________ and they'll watch me for 3 months to a year or whatever the deal is here and as long as I don't get another they drop it or lower it or at least forget about this whole points thing.

I'm 17 (how impressive looking to the judge...who I hear is a cool guy) so I can't go in there looking like a dumbass. This is my second ticket but the other one was really minor so I don't even think it went on my record or is at least off by now since it was forever ago.

I know I'm fudged so I'm not going to bitch and whine about how I wasn't speeding. I make good grades and I'm never in trouble with the law...not to mention I wasn't speeding for sh*ts and giggles. I'd pay the fine too, no problem, if it weren't the Christmas season and I wasn't...er...broke.

Any other suggestions? And WTF big ass latin terms am I looking for?

I was driving a minivan at the time. I would have gotten a ticket for 35 or 40 over had I been in the Crown Vic.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Subpoena is the word.

And you want a defferred adjudication. I don't know how that works in S.C. however.

woaface

Established Member
Yes, awesome, glad someone could remember for me. Ahh...the amazing laws of discovery.

We'll see how this deferred adjudication works.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The word is not subpeona, it is "Discovery"!

If you want the information they have against you, it would be stated in court by the officer. If you want all that information and other pertinent information such as his radar operator certificate, the daily calibration logs of the radar unit, etc you ask the judge to allow you time for discovery. You can file a motion for discovery. Usually the officer will have everything there with them that is pertinent to the case.

You may get the points knocked down but typical the court costs and fines will still be in the range of the initial offense.

Good luck.

Jersey Vics

www.SVTregistry.com
Established Member
Dude,

I'd just go to the court, talk to the prosecutor and its usually in his best interest and under his authority to offer you a lesser charge. Take it and be more carefull next time.

Otherwise get a lawyer. A 17 year old trying to show off his internet research skills in court will get you a harsher punishment. If you really want to fight it to the last drop of blood, do yourself a favor and get a lawyer.

good luck again,

--Russ

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
27 over? I believe the term you are looking for is "Bend over". Oh, be sure to bring something to bite down on. Better hope the judge is as cool as he seems..who knows, maybe the police officer will get a bad case of the mudbutt and wont be able to make it.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Jersey Vics said:
Dude,

I'd just go to the court, talk to the prosecutor and its usually in his best interest and under his authority to offer you a lesser charge. Take it and be more carefull next time.

Otherwise get a lawyer. A 17 year old trying to show off his internet research skills in court will get you a harsher punishment. If you really want to fight it to the last drop of blood, do yourself a favor and get a lawyer.

good luck again,

--Russ
Ditto- Good advice here! Good luck though.

woaface

Established Member
Thanks Russ...I recognize you from over on Marauder.net?

I'm going to plead guilty, but I didn't think there would be any harm in finding out what the state has against me. I wouldn't mention a thing in court unless I found something definitely wrong with how she obtained my speed.

Maybe this is a really dumb question but do I have to pay court costs if I win or meet my goal of ticket reduction?

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
You need to get a lawyer. If you don't you will be so screwed on insurance it won't be funny. I know how they are, I'm your age too (17 in 3 weeks.) I really think even if you do show up apologetic and plead guilty they will still nail you for 27 over. Believe me thats going to hurt if they cut it down. Lawyer. Cheaper in the long run. And good luck.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
When you go to court plead guilty and ask the judge for traffic school. It will lower or delete your points and make it a non moving violation that won't hurt your insurance.

Believe me, it works. ;-)

Jersey Vics

www.SVTregistry.com
Established Member
Dude! Whatever you do, DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY!

I don't know how it is in your state, but it can't be too different than anywhere else.

You have your ticket which you can mail the payment with and get the points on your license. OR you can mail it in with "NOT GUILTY" checked off... Do That.

After the court house will receive your NOT Guilty plea, they will schedule a court date for you.

Pick a court date convenient to you, NOT to them! Also might not be a bad idea to schedule it for a future date as far as they let you do it... postpone it as much as you can.

Once you go to court, first order of business is the Judge gathers everyone in the court room to tell you the rules of the game... At some point in time he or she will say, if you wish to plead Guilty remain in the courtroom. Otherwise step out to the prosecutors office to plea bargain with him.

You do that, step out and get in line at the prosecutors door because I'm sure others will be there doing the same thing.

Once you get to the prosecutor, don't waste his time! Do NOT begin your story with: "Well, it was a sunny day, on a wide open highway.... " Don't do it man, he don't care, he will tell you to fast forward to what you really want... So just start out straight up: "I got this ticket, I don't want points, I will plea to a lesser/no point charge even if I have to pay more"

Paying more is usually music to his ears but sometimes they are limited on how many points off they can really offer you so if you get a counter-offer that sounds good to you, agree to it. He will mark what you agreed to on your case number and pass it back to the judge, you go back in the court room and when the judge calls your name tell him/her what they want to hear.

If the lesser plea doesn't satisfy you, you tell the prosecutor you would like to obtain counsel, and he will mark that request on your case and give you a time frame to get a lawyer... Once you get the lawyer you won't need to worry about contacting the judge/prosecutor/court house because they will do it for you and just follow what the lawyer tells you.

Again, Don't Admit Guilt! Play it cool. And know that you have options. Just don't agree to something and then change your mind later, whatever you decide first might not be reversable.

If the judge throws out your case then you won't have to pay anything, you'll be set free.... Otherwise you are responsible for court fees and fines that you agree to.

Again, good luck!

--Russ

PS. Yes I am from mercurymarauder.net and crownvic.net and about a dozen other car forums, I live on the internet!

woaface said:
Thanks Russ...I recognize you from over on Marauder.net?

I'm going to plead guilty, but I didn't think there would be any harm in finding out what the state has against me. I wouldn't mention a thing in court unless I found something definitely wrong with how she obtained my speed.

Maybe this is a really dumb question but do I have to pay court costs if I win or meet my goal of ticket reduction?

Jersey Vics

www.SVTregistry.com
Established Member
I don't know if you're a member of AAA, but they do offer point reduction classes... my mom and sis went to it last month and both got their insurance reduced by 5%. You don't need to decide on this program at court unless you see that its something the prosecutor wants to hear from you.

Oh and by the way, dude whatever you do, Don't bog down! Keep your Chin UP!!!

I know it might seem like crap at the moment but its really not the end of the world, don't lose your sleep over it. Stuff Happens. Go to court relaxed and don't let your voice tremble in fear when you talk to the prosecutor or judge, they'll take advantage of you.

--Russ ;)

LIGHTNING LARRY said:
When you go to court plead guilty and ask the judge for traffic school. It will lower or delete your points and make it a non moving violation that won't hurt your insurance.

Believe me, it works. ;-)

woaface

Established Member
Crud, I can't afford a lawyer! Or court costs either. I can barely make the $440 mark for the ticket, if even. Driving classes are probably out of the question since the kids that end up there are usually several tickets and no points left deep. It's like if I went to a federal prison for this. (ex. I had a friend who went after missing 8 points of 12 on his license and was probably up past $1000 in fines.)

Not to mention I can't tell my parents about this until AFTER the court session...otherwise I'll never make it to court or anywhere else for the next half a year too.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Jersey Vics said:
Dude! Whatever you do, DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY!

I don't know how it is in your state, but it can't be too different than anywhere else.

You have your ticket which you can mail the payment with and get the points on your license. OR you can mail it in with "NOT GUILTY" checked off... Do That.

After the court house will receive your NOT Guilty plea, they will schedule a court date for you.

Pick a court date convenient to you, NOT to them! Also might not be a bad idea to schedule it for a future date as far as they let you do it... postpone it as much as you can.

Once you go to court, first order of business is the Judge gathers everyone in the court room to tell you the rules of the game... At some point in time he or she will say, if you wish to plead Guilty remain in the courtroom. Otherwise step out to the prosecutors office to plea bargain with him.

You do that, step out and get in line at the prosecutors door because I'm sure others will be there doing the same thing.

Once you get to the prosecutor, don't waste his time! Do NOT begin your story with: "Well, it was a sunny day, on a wide open highway.... " Don't do it man, he don't care, he will tell you to fast forward to what you really want... So just start out straight up: "I got this ticket, I don't want points, I will plea to a lesser/no point charge even if I have to pay more"

Paying more is usually music to his ears but sometimes they are limited on how many points off they can really offer you so if you get a counter-offer that sounds good to you, agree to it. He will mark what you agreed to on your case number and pass it back to the judge, you go back in the court room and when the judge calls your name tell him/her what they want to hear.

If the lesser plea doesn't satisfy you, you tell the prosecutor you would like to obtain counsel, and he will mark that request on your case and give you a time frame to get a lawyer... Once you get the lawyer you won't need to worry about contacting the judge/prosecutor/court house because they will do it for you and just follow what the lawyer tells you.

Again, Don't Admit Guilt! Play it cool. And know that you have options. Just don't agree to something and then change your mind later, whatever you decide first might not be reversable.

If the judge throws out your case then you won't have to pay anything, you'll be set free.... Otherwise you are responsible for court fees and fines that you agree to.

Again, good luck!

--Russ

PS. Yes I am from mercurymarauder.net and crownvic.net and about a dozen other car forums, I live on the internet!

Just curious, how many citations have you avoided penalties on by utilizing your methods?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
woaface said:
Not to mention I can't tell my parents about this until AFTER the court session...otherwise I'll never make it to court or anywhere else for the next half a year too.

So you are cutting out the people most likely and able to help you, for fear of having to have a pair and tell them?

Charming youth of today.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

When I was 18, I had a 41 mph over the limit (the limit was 40mph). I was accelerating down a straight (no cars on the road) cop was driving in the oncoming lane (unmarked, no light bar) and I blew past him. He turned around and got me.

I had speeding, wreckless driving, and unsafe operation charges.

With a lawyer I was able to get everything dropped, nothing on record, nothing on the insurance, it was like it never happened. My lawyer had worked a deal with the prosecuting attorney a few weeks before the trial, I never even saw the judge. I was in the court room for about 5 mins.

It cost me $1215.

I was lucky, get a lawyer; they can help a lot.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Steeda30 said:
Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

When I was 18, I had a 41 mph over the limit (the limit was 40mph). I was accelerating down a straight (no cars on the road) cop was driving in the oncoming lane (unmarked, no light bar) and I blew past him. He turned around and got me.

I had speeding, wreckless driving, and unsafe operation charges.

With a lawyer I was able to get everything dropped, nothing on record, nothing on the insurance, it was like it never happened. My lawyer had worked a deal with the prosecuting attorney a few weeks before the trial, I never even saw the judge. I was in the court room for about 5 mins.

It cost me $1215.

I was lucky, get a lawyer; they can help a lot.

Lucky? Now that's a creative way to look at it. As I've said before, you bought a ton of lunches for your attorney and the prosecutor and the officer who cited you made the overtime for court. if you don't mind paying $1215, then everyone is happy. Like someone said, "everyone deserves their day in court".......some just pay through the nose for the privilege and experience.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
So..........mswaim, are we to believe that going to court without a lawyer is the best way to handlle it?

Users who are viewing this thread