biggest cam for 5.0?

10gt5

Established Member
It's Goin in a 95 gt motor, I just want to know biggest possible cam specs i can fit and will flycut if I need to but I would prefer not...thanks

DarkMach1

Established Member
im thinking around .530-.540 lift. Are you running decent heads? Sometimes a smaller cam works better for a specific setup than a larger cam, buy your heads and intake AND THEN get a cam that fits the combo.

10gt5

Established Member
I'm thinking a xe266 cam at the moment and they will be super ported gt 40 heads and Intake

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Ok remember this, you need a "split spec" cam. That is a cam that the lift and duration of the intake and exhaust are not alike. This will allow for a maximum flow as all small block Ford heads are somewhat restrictive, unlike the small block Chevy's. Ole Shelby discovered that fact long ago back in the 60's and that why the original Shelby Cam was a "split spec" cam. Sometimes old tech still works. Small Block Fords never liked as big a carb when they were carbed as a similar sized Chevy.

Another thing to watch for is to build the Engine, Tranny, and rear end as a system that everything compliments

everything. Make sure you know the RPM power ranges of the intake, cam and so forth and equally how they relate to the Tranny and the rear end. I cant tell you how many nice looking and nice sounding at idle engines I have seen and the owner complains about "why doesn't my engine perform like it should". Mostly because he built "flash" with out proper research and everything is in there somewhat fighting each other, no system.

Good Luck

The Snake

billsigf1_zps0d79b1a4.jpg

10gt5

Established Member
Thanks, the xe266 is a split cam I'm just curious if it's going to out perform the b cam that's in at the moment

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Contact either FTI, Bullet, or Buddy Rawls. Dont remember what I paid, but I wont buy off the shelf ever again. If you want to PM me and I can get you Buddy's contact info.

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
Although no doubt those guys can grind some sweet cams, I personally wouldnt get a custom grind for a stock 302 with GT40 top end parts. I will get a custom grind when I put together a badass motor. But thats just me.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Although no doubt those guys can grind some sweet cams, I personally wouldnt get a custom grind for a stock 302 with GT40 top end parts. I will get a custom grind when I put together a badass motor. But thats just me.

I stand by your point sir. Excellent observation.

10gt5

Established Member
Just fired up a car I just finished for brother In law, it's a ported p head with Edelbrock intake and full bolt ons with a xe276 and I'm happy with that cam haha

Users who are viewing this thread